1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a good film !

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by slingshot, Apr 27, 2001.

1. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    After taking everyone's advice about the Ring (in 1 of the horror threads), I need some other recommendations for decent non hyped films, no criteria except it needs to be Region 2, and non-hyped non-mainstream stuff (so don't recommend Gladiator and the Matrix), I don't even object to subtitles.

So if you can give me a rough idea of Genre and I'll start spending next months pay.

Cheers

Slingshot

2. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    If I had to recommend one film to you which is not hyped and not very well known among the Matrix/Gladiator crowd it would have to be Glengarry Glenross. I have spoke about it before on this forum. It is a film based on David Mamet's play (one of the great modern writers) and it has the look of a play - there is only about 4 or 5 locations in the whole film. But what sets it apart from the norm is the quality of the story and acting. It is based around a real estate agents office and the acting is 1st class. It has Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Alec Baldwin and is just pure class. It is one of those cheap range of DVDs at £9.99. I got mine from Amazon.co.uk. Needless to say it is not a demo disc or a test of your speaker system, but as I have often said here, it is ALL about the films.

3. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Big Kahuna?
    Great film, very deep, outstanding performances from Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito...

4. Dave_W

Dave_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seven Samurai. BFI release is good and a fair bit cheaper than criterion.

5. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Snatch, Billy Elliot, Almost Famous and No Way Out are among my recent fave purchases, and I think they do live up to their 'hype'. Not sure if they're all out on R2 though.

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the advice guys, think I'll give The Big Kahuna and Glengarry Glenross a go since one of my favorite actors is Kevin Spacey.

Cheers for the other thread Stuart I'll have a look through it.

Another recommedation was from a friend for 'It's a beautiful Life' I think that's what it's called so I'll probably give that a go aswell.

Slingshot.

Oh yeah for what it's worth my vote this month for a good film goes to 'Girl Interuppted'

8. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Slingshot,

if you like Glengarry you'll love The Boiler Room.

Gary

9. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    Yeah, I got onto Boiler Room through this forum after I had mentioned that I love Glengarry Glenross. It is very similar and also an excellent film. GGR even gets a mention in it.

As for the Beautiful Life one - its either Its a Wonderful Life with James Stewart from the 50s - an excellent feel good movie that is real Xmas fayre - an all-time classic, or Life Is Beautiful - the Italian film that won an oscar a couple of years ago. Haven't seen that but a few friends have recommended it highly.

10. Force Field

Force Field

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent sci fi film is Pitch Black. Really original. No major stars - it succeeds on merit alone.

11. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good flicks mentioned here - another one would be 'living in oblivion'. steve buscemi plays a director desperately trying to get his film made with very funny results. worth checking out.
    another worth seeing before the crap american remake surfaces is 'les visiteurs' - time travelling farce with jean reno as a medievil knight who gets transported to the 20th century. very good.

12. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    slingshot,

that'll teach me - didn't read you're original posting very well. sorry. living in oblivion is only region 1 at the mo but les visiteurs is region 2 from french importers.

better up the coffee intake.........

13. mgmcinema

mgmcinema

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend Braveheart!.
    Excellent film which may be a tad long at 3hrs but well worth a watch