I need a fast laptop just for Internet use (+/- £500)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Sandypusscat, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Sandypusscat

Sandypusscat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All I have a small internet business and was looking for a laptop to use as a secondary PC for work and travel.

I just need to ba able to surf the net on Wifi as quickly as possible and print off orders from the net etc so I think a "N" WIFI router is the way to go (if not mistaken which I often am).

I dont download films or do anything heavy graphics wise and I dont want to play games on it but I want the fastest downloading of internet pages I can get as ebay is very slow to load pages up sometimes.

I will mostly use it for answering emails, writing adverts, looking at and printing Amazon orders and also looking at Ebay pages etc.

I want a 15" screen at least also.

I would like one with a backlit keyboard if poss but not essential.

I think I would like an i3 or even better i5 processor and 4 meg of ram at least.

Can any one recemmend anything good they have seen thats still on sale now as I want to buy as soon as poss.
    I was thinking of spending about £500 all in but would spend a bit more for a really good deal.

I have been looking on the Delll website in the busness section and some of those look ok and meet the spec I want but I was sondering if anyone had seen any super offers around what with it being january sales time etc.

I would prefer to order online if poss.

Thanks for reading and have a happy new year.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I've just picked up a HP Pavilion G6 1240 from PC World in the sale at £399. After a lot of research I couldn't find anything price wise to match the spec:

Second generation i5 2430 processor

6GB ram

750GB hard drive

15.6 inch screen

Wifi n

Windows 7 Home Premium

They also do one for £349 which I think has the i3 processor.

3. Sandypusscat

Sandypusscat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thats great thanks yes thats a much better price than Delll and other sites I checked myself too!
    I just ordered one... they only had a maroon coloured one in for home delivery so I got a maroon/burgundy one of the same. (Free delivery)
    Thanks everso for the advice.

4. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Glad to be of help. Only had the burgandy in stock at my local branch as well so that's what I got as well, quite a nice colour though.

5. Oldgold

Oldgold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Toshman

I've been looking at the laptop you have just bought, so was wondering if you could give your opinion on it now you own one. I appreciate you may have not had a great deal of time with it yet.

I'm particularly interested in watching streaming video, including HD. Have you used it for this yet? If so, is it a capable machine for this? Also, does it have an ethernet input or is it wi-fi only?

Thanks.

6. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I only got it on Friday so haven't tried streaming yet, but with an i5 processor with Intel HD 3000 graphics it shouldn't have any problems streaming HD. Inputs include an ethernet port along with 3 x usb, HDMI, vga and SD/MMC slot.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. megtyler

megtyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use HP Pavilion. for as long as it's just for browsing and something you can bring to meetings outside the office, that will do it just fine.

just keep your expectations to a minimum

8. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I would disagree, the spec the G6 offers is unbeatable for the money and is comparable to machines costing £100+ more. Its certainly enough for streaming HD and low to mid range games.

9. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,591
    ^ to be fair, unless you're a spec-head, specs mean nothing if the performance isn't there. It's like cars. It's great having 500bhp, but if your 500bhp car does the 1/4 mile in 20 seconds and a car with 100bhp less does it in 10 seconds, which would you rather have? ;)

10. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    And I agree, but the G6 is more than capable for what the op wants and unless you want to do something really graphics intensive then it is fine. My point is that for the money it is pretty hard to beat at the moment. The only other that comes close is the Asus from Comet which has just gone up in price to £449.

11. megtyler

megtyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's why i got it... because based on the specs... it was supposed to do fine... but i am using it right now and it is just slow... it hangs...

but again... for simple activities, it's fine.