1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a DVI > HDMI cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Scotty Boy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After reading that at longer lengths (around 10m) DVI cables can sometimes lose signal and stuff. So, would it be wise for me to buy a DVI>HDMI converter, then a 10m HDMI lead?

It's for my denon 1910, I wanted to test the digital output on it with 720p and 1080i over component which i'm currently using.

Ideally didn't want to spend *too* much, as it may not make a blind bit of difference..

Any good retailers that I could get something from?

Cheers

2. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Maplins...

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +568
  4. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use a HDMI-HDMI cable, you'll push a HDMI signal down it..............but, once you use a DVI adapter/converter it will then revert to a DVI signal, so the issue your trying to avoid rear's it ugly head and your back to square one. :mad:
    On the 5th of September, Supra are going to release a new version of their HDMI and DVI cables which have been tested for 720p/1080i upscaling at longer lengths. If your already using good quality component, the difference probably won't be massive anyway :(

5. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

I've been trying to find a good DVI-HDMI cable for my PC-Sanyo Z3 projector. I've been told that losing the signal is as much to do with where the signal comes from as it does the cable inbetween.

I think that the circuitry behind pushing the signal out of a DVI connector is the reason why it degrades over distance. HDMI connectors can "push" the signal further without degradation. So ultimately if your source has a DVI connector, I don't think it matters whether you use a DVI-HDMI or HDMI-HDMI cable, the distance it can go without degrading is limited by the DVI interface on your source. Of course a "better" quality cable will make the most of the signal.

So I suggest get a DVI-HDMI now and an adapter to make it HDMI-HDMI if you ever need that at a later date.