I need a decent 50" but am stuck! :-/ Help!

coolamasta

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've been trawling through threads on here and Googling as all its doing is making me more confused in what route to go with a new TV!

I currently have a Full HD 100hz 46" Samsung LCD which I've had around 3.5 years, its been good but im now fancying going to a 50" with 3D with a smaller bezel, better power consumption etc.

I have looked at:

• Samsung UE50F6670
  • Samsung UE50F6500
  • LG 50LA620V
  • Panasonic TXP50GT60B

Sound quality does not bother my as I have a decent AV surround set up, the TV will mostly be used for:

• HTPC/BluRay Movies and TV series
  • Xbox 360 gaming mostly shoot-em-ups and car games GTA V FTW lol
  • I watch Motorsport like BTCC, F1 bit of rallying etc

I was kinda all set to make a move on the Samsung UE50F6670 (Currys & PCworld only it seems) but I have since heard on here about recent firmware issues resulting in DSE and some random darkened bars on the corners of the screen recently :(

I have never had a Plasma which I know the Panasonic TXP50GT60B is but I hear good things about this TV but I'm still a bit sceptical still about Plasma, mainly the burn-in issue and lifetime of them!

I use my HTPC a lot it can sometimes sit on the Windows desktop or on the Plex menu screen for half hour plus sometimes, the Mrs has even left the desktop up for over an hour before now and im scared that it will wreck the Plasma screen!

My budget is around the £1000 mark but the Panny seems to be around £1200, I 'might' be able to stretch to that but it would have to be seriously good without screen burn in worries for me to consider it properly! :rolleyes:

Are there any other TV's I should be considering or any more help/advice you guys can give me and I'm getting fed up now of going around in circles with it, or should I just wait until after Christmas and see what the Jan sales and any new models bring?!

Cheers in advance for any help :smashin:

If you can stretch to the Panny then take a look at the Samsung F7000, I know it doesn't come in a 50 but the motion handling, panel, and processor systems are much better that the others you have mentioned. It also has Samsung's Evolution Kit technology which allows you to upgrade the TV in the future to take advantage of bigger processors, newer software or upgraded graphics.
If that is too expensive then I would choose the F6670 as it have better motion than the other LED TV's and will be fine with being left on a stationary picture for a prolonged period, plasmas will suffer from this over time.
I hope this helps

Cheers bud, the F7000 in 46" is around £1400 which is too much with my budget unfortunately and its not a 50" as I really do want to go a bit bigger, thanks anyway for your help though :)

I'm going to CostCo after work today to see what they have just in case there are any good deals but I'm not holding my breath haha, I still like the 6670 but not so impressed after reading recent things about it and the fact it can only be bought from Currys/PCworld.

Anyone else have any input that might help me? :)

You can also try the F6740, not sure on the sizes but the specs are the same as the 6670 and you can get it in more places including John Lewis with their 5 year warranty.

I did look into that one but its 46" and 55" no 50" option which is annoying haha :(

Went a PC World superstore yesterday to view the Samsung UE50F6670 and I was pretty impressed with it, I did notice a tiny bit of darkness in the top corners like I have heard people report but its hardly noticeable really, the 3D looked really good being Active BUT the bar-stewards have just put the price up by £100, it was £999 but has just gone back up to £1099 grrrrrr. Being an exclusive Currys/PC World model I cant get it anywhere else :(

Just wondering now whether I should just wait it out a bit and see what happens nearer Xmas and the new year with TV's, hoping they will all go down a bit when newer models come out :)

On the plus side I have just bought myself a Sonos Play 1 for the kitchen which is awesome for its size :cool:

Currys will definitely drop it again nearer Xmas, it is their exclusive deal so they will raise the price leading up to Xmas so they can drop it and claim a big saving. :)

I'm still stuck with this, my sensible side says to wait and see what comes out but I am itching to get something soon as I want to enjoy watching it over the winter period.

I keep finding myself looking at the Panasonic TXP50GT60B but I am convinced that leaving my desktop or a web browser or something on the screen too long via my HTPC could damage the panel with burn-in, I dont know how bad it is these days with plasma and if im over-worrying about it :-/

What did you buy? Im looking at the samsung after my gt60 developed 5 dead pixels and screen burn from xbox one

I'm using panasonic plasmas for some time now and don't think I switch to anything else. these are brilliant

Ι am also using Plasma 50" 50tv20 and 40c750 samsung..Image quality is better on Plasma.
And generally i am a Plasma fan!!

I'm still stuck with this, my sensible side says to wait and see what comes out but I am itching to get something soon as I want to enjoy watching it over the winter period.

I keep finding myself looking at the Panasonic TXP50GT60B but I am convinced that leaving my desktop or a web browser or something on the screen too long via my HTPC could damage the panel with burn-in, I dont know how bad it is these days with plasma and if im over-worrying about it :-/
my gt60 had bad burn in from xbox one, you will most definitely get burn with a pc, they couldnt replace my gt60 as no stock so got my money back, will get cheap led as now have projector.

I had a cheap 50" Samsung Series 4 Plasma which suffered from temporary Image Retention. It didn't bother me because it wasn't permanent. So am not bothered if my ST60 is the same or whether it has a highly reflective screen. I know what to expect with Plasma.

thats great however my image retention was permanent.

That is odd, however with my Samsung Plasma I tried not to leave things static on screen for too long but it couldn't be avoided sometimes and had the football scores burned in the top left of screen for example which disappeared after a time. Also had the Sky menu burned in a bit sometimes, as I say it wasn't permanent so didn't bother me and I got used to it. The Panasonics shouldn't suffer from permanent burn in unless left with a static image on screen for several hours!

just to clarify i loved my plasmas, i was careful with them...the x logo from xbox one dash was permanently burnt in i tried for weeks to get rid of it, 3 months later its still there. plasmas are great just be aware of this.

Sounds like you had a faulty one to me, as they shouldn't suffer from permanent burn in! When I first saw it on my Samsung I was really worried but then it wore off after awhile so got used to the affect.

sorry what do you mean it shouldnt happen? plasma panels are prone to ir they havent discovered a magic fix to prevent it. my brothers samsung has fared much better than my panasonic in regards to image retention.

I mean it should happen but shouldn't be permanent!

image retention is temporary, burn in is permanent. burn in may occur when there is maximum contrast between black and white, the xbox logo on the dash is exactly that. im just letting the guy know that this happens as he asked about using a monitor. the latest panels from panasonic have been worse for burn in than the old ones. I think its due to the higher brightness they are putting out compared to older models.

It happens and you are out of luck with warranty claims due to burn in.

Image Retention that is permanent is called Burn in very nearly the same thing. Anyhow you should be entitled to a warranty replacement imo!

im currently going through this with my retailer, my plasma also developed 5 dead pixels.
panasonic said no way would they give me a new panel due to 5 dead pixels or burn in, so basically tough luck.
if it wasnt for my excellent local dealer i would have been left with a faulty panel. my dealer is refunding me at a loss to them not panasonic.

the model in question is a panasonic 2013 gt60, i currently have a loan gt60 that was a store tv, that has a red tinge down the middle of the screen and the word 'viera' burnt into the middle of the screen.

Unlucky, although if everyone suffered the same problem I am sure this forum would be inundated with it. I guess you were just unlucky!

i must be unlucky i also had 5 x gt50s from different retailers that all had vertical banding!...lesson learned no tv is perfect.

I am not really fussy although am expecting a lot from my 42" ST60 in terms of SD quality as its the most expensive TV I have ever bought. Normally get the biggest set for the lowest price and therefore not the best picture quality which never really bothered me before.

The 42" ST60 is the first 3D Smart Freeview HD set that I have ever owned and the reviews are good!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom