I need a bit of advice please

SeaJay

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello there

I am looking to buy the Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-53 laptop, mainly to play games and watch videos.

CPU: i7-10750H

RAM: 16GB

Graphics Card: Dedicated GeForce RTX 2060 6GB

https://www.box.co.uk/Acer-Predator-Helios-300-PH317-53_2977335.html

I've done some bench-testing online, and it seems to be pretty decent. It says it can run things (on recommended settings) like Fortnite, or XCOM 2. I'm not really bothered about running the latest resource-hungry pc games, but if I could play (for example) Skyrim, on medium to high settings, I would be happy.

I have three questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me:
  1. What does the benchmark mean when it says I can run a game on the recommended settings, does recommended mean everything is on a low setting, medium, high?
  2. Is a dedicated graphics card better than its mobile equivalent?
  3. Is there a comparable laptop I should be buying at around the £1300 price mark?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you all

Also, which laptop below, would be the better equipped for gaming? Identical specs apart from the graphic cards:

Comp.jpg

[*]What does the benchmark mean when it says I can run a game on the recommended settings, does recommended mean everything is on a low setting, medium, high?

Assuming you're talking about the same recommended settings as game developers publish then these days it generally corresponds to the more demanding settings - although there's no agreed upon level.

[*]Is a dedicated graphics card better than its mobile equivalent?

Do you mean a desktop graphics card? AMD and nVidia do generally give their desktop models a bit of a performance edge over the equivalently named mobile ones, although it's not huge.

You are looking pretty high up the range for your stated requirements. Looking at notebookcheck's benchmarks you could comfortably go down to the 1050 level:

And you're not all that far off the best integrated graphics - they'd manage Fortnite and Skyrim but XCOM 2 would be pushing it.

Given your low requirements I'd personally be more interested in the best cooling system to keep the noise as low as possible, rather than the best graphics card. I don't keep up with laptop models though, so I can't recommend anything specific.

Hi Endlesswaves, thank you very much for the reply and information.

When I say dedicated graphics card, it is in relation to the Acer Predator 'Laptop'. It's made a point of calling out the fact that one version of their Predator Laptops has a "dedicated" RTX 2060 6GB Graphics Card (it's depicted in the pic I posted in the first post above). I was wondering if this was better than the RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB graphics card (which doesn't claim to be a dedicated card).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom