1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need a BIG Screen.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mr Cheese, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a big telly (36"+). Since I've changed my lounge round to be more 'AV friendly' ie taken the telly out of the corner and put it in the middle of the wall with the floorstanders evenly either side, and the couch in the middle of the opposite wall, my 28" widescreen is just too small. (it's 16 feet away!)

The only drawback with the 36" TVs are they're so damn deep. Now the TV's on a wall and not in the corner I don't particularly want it sticking out too far. As much as I would love one, a front projector is out as they're not really practical for everyday use.

This leaves plasmas and RPTVs. Unfortunately plasmas are just too expensive for me. This leaves RPTVs. Now I quite favour the Toshiba 42WP23P - it's only 19" deep, and will, in fact sit further back than my speakers. My only dilemma - and it's a big one - is I've never seen one set up properly. I know they've had rave reviews.

My question is this. Can a RPTV look as good as a CRT if set up properly? and also if they can, where can I see one!!!

Comments appreciated

Cliff

2. Longshot

Longshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, like a lot of folks on these forums feel that RP's can be as good as CRT's, although when it comes to any monitor/screen a lot depends on personal preferences.

Also, you will obviously get a difference between analogue and digital signals. Even between digital signals there can be differences, e.g. between a sky broadcast and a DVD.

It can be difficult to compare screens in a shop, as you need to know a few ins and outs yourself (if the shop doesn't have any decent staff to set things up correctly !).

The best thing is to ensure each set is receiving the same signal, as even if it's not perfect, you can still see which one copes the best.

Try the larger shops of places like Comet, Currys, or Dixons, as your likely to find a few RP's together on the same signal for comparison.

Best of all is a local independent TV/Hi-Fi shop (see Yellow Pages). Depending on where you are, you should find one that has a "viewing room" -specifically for trying out different AV goodies.

Even if they haven't got a specific room, you should get much better service, with things being set-up correctly, and people who can show you how to change picture/sound levels, so you can get a better idea of what a particular set is capable of.

If you need any help with a specific set, try doing a search for the model number using the site search engine (buttons, top right of page). Your more than likely to find others who know the ins and outs of your chosen tv, and answers to any questions you may have, plus a few you hadn't thought of !!.

Cheers,

Rob

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the plunge earlier this year and got a big 42" RPTV - a Samsung - and I have no regrets.

It needs a good picture source - DVD or Sky Digital, both in RGB, - or I suppose - Freeview - and you need a room big enough to watch it properly - ie from a distance!

The video feed should ideally be RGB or Component.

But leaving that aside, it's a most impressive piece of kit!

Go for it my son...