I need a 1.4x convertor for my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one know where i can get one in the UK?
Or if any of the other brands will work
Thanks

Tamron do one or two that will work but it seems hard to find them in the UK
Over at POTN there are people that have used them with good results.
Its just that im finding 75mm a bit to short compared to my Canon 28-105USM MKII

you wont get much of a boost on a 75mm lens mate, but if you must get one then try and get one made by your body manufacturer, nikon/canon/minolta or whatever you have. The type that go inbetween the body and lens are best, you will lose some light but should be ok, remember your only going to be looking at about 105mm at the longest end

I'm sure I read somewhere that teleconvertors need to be used between 100mm and 500mm?

So as SSB stated the 28-75 might be too short. (You could always test one out in a camera shop though)

ush flynn said:
you wont get much of a boost on a 75mm lens mate, but if you must get one then try and get one made by your body manufacturer, nikon/canon/minolta or whatever you have. The type that go inbetween the body and lens are best, you will lose some light but should be ok, remember your only going to be looking at about 105mm at the longest end

Well the Canon ones are around £220 and thats more than i can afford.
105mm is about all im after so thats fine
I can get the Tamron ones from the states but i would rather get them here.

imcarm, as i said people are using them with the 28-75. i dont think they are made for it but it works.
Of course you loose some light and the large apature but i dont want to use it all the time, just when i need a bit more reach.

dave_bass5 said:
imcarm, as i said people are using them with the 28-75. i dont think they are made for it but it works.
Of course you loose some light and the large apature but i dont want to use it all the time, just when i need a bit more reach.

I managed to pick up a cheap Sakar 2x on ebay for £25, I have been using it with my EF90-300MM - I'm quite impressed with the results so far, although I do find I lose a bit of sharpness.

Im hoping that as the Tamron is sharp any way i wont loose much.
My other option is to take my 28-105USM MKII out with me but it hardly seems worth it as the 28mm-75mm of the Tamron is fine most of the time.
Im sure i could get by without the extra reach, its just nice to have.

imcarm said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that teleconvertors need to be used between 100mm and 500mm?

So as SSB stated the 28-75 might be too short. (You could always test one out in a camera shop though)

Dunno where you read that but I use a 2x TC with my 70-200 f/2.8 and I've even seen paps use 2 2xTC with this lens. The ability to use a TC with a lens isnt governed by the focal length or even the apeture (you can always manual focus after all) but how rear element of the lens moves. If the rear element extends beyond or is flush with the lens mount at either minimum or maximum zoom then it can't be used with a TC as the front element of a TC slots inside the lens it's attached to. If you do attach a TC to such a lens then at best you'll find the lens wont even attach to the TC, at worst you'll try and zoom and....SMASH!

ALWAYS check the compatibility of your lens with a TC before you fit it it.

If you do buy a TC third party ones are a lot cheaper BUT it is always advisable to use the TC from the same manufacturer as the LENS you are using (not the body as previously mentioned although an all Canon or all Nikon body, lens, TC combination is always a good idea). The reason for this is that a Canon TC that is stated as compatible with the relevant Canon lenses WILL be compatible but no gurantee can be made that it will definitely be compatible with a Sigma or Tamron lens even if they are ones that are listed as being compatible with the Sigma/Tamron TC's, it probably will be but do you really want to risk the SMASH scenario? Another reason is that, in the case of Canon L lenses anyway, is that the Canon TC's have a better 'dust seal' that is designed to fit the Canon L lenses dust shield too, something that would be lost if you used a third pary TC.

HTH

DB5 - if you look here you'll see that they say the Tamron & Kenko convertors are IDENTICAL so the Kenko Pro 300 is widely available & should match your lens perfectly (?)
Paul :smashin:

PaulBoy said:
DB5 - if you look here you'll see that they say the Tamron & Kenko convertors are IDENTICAL so the Kenko Pro 300 is widely available & should match your lens perfectly (?)
Paul :smashin:

Cheers Paul
Just what i wanted to see.
:smashin:

Kenko ones aren't too bad - I have a 2x which I occasionally use. I can carry it in my pocket and slap it on my 28-70L for those emergency-long-reach-situations.

Also 3rd party ones sometimes work on lenses that aren't supported by the Canon ones - as is the case with my 80-200L

tomson said:
Kenko ones aren't too bad - I have a 2x which I occasionally use. I can carry it in my pocket and slap it on my 28-70L for those emergency-long-reach-situations.

Also 3rd party ones sometimes work on lenses that aren't supported by the Canon ones - as is the case with my 80-200L

Yeah, just been reading some reviews of the Kenko Pro 300 and its highly regarded so ill see if i can try one localy.

Thanks all.

You could buy a budget 75-300mm for much the same price as a Kenko 1.4x TC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom