1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I neded help with Pal to NTSC and vice versa

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barry W, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Barry W

Barry W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help!!

I live in UK and am looking to buy my first DVD recorder.

One unusual feature I require is to be able to swap DVDs with a friend in US.

I want to spend most of the money as money is quite tight for him.

I would very much appreciate having the facility of a HDD but if I don't have that option then so be it.

In a nutshell what I want to do is in 3 parts:

a) Record on a DVD from either a camcorder or UK TV and send it to him so that when he puts it in his standard/cheap DVD player he can view it. Since my sources are PAL and his cheap DVD player would be NTSC only this would require conversion.

b) Him to buy a cheap and cheerful DVD recorder in US then record something from a camcorder or US TV and send it to me so that I can put it in my newly acquired machine and view it. I guess if I have a multiregion player then I could watch this in NTSC but really would want to be able to properly convert it to PAL.

c) as b) but for me to be able to copy the DVD onto another DVD so that when it goes in a friend's cheap and cheerful DVD player he is able to view it. This would definitely require conversion from NTSC to PAL.

Are there any DVD recorders out there which convert from NTSC to PAL and vice versa?

I appreciate I might have to buy a cheap and cheerful DVD recorder to do c) and that if I wanted to copy onto videotape an ordinary VCR would be needed.

Other useful features required:

In an ideal world the bigger the HDD is the better I believe the Pan is the biggest at 400GB.

As I am not sure which of the formats is going to become the dominant one and having learned the Betamax/VHS lesson I would like to have the facility of having as many as possible both reading and writing.

The ideal way for copying a DVD recorded in US for me would be to put it in new machine then copy it to HDD then put blank DVD in machine and copy it onto that.

Like most people I don't want to pay a vast fortune for this machine but money isn't a primary issue.

Any recommendations on models would be welcome.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I don’t believe there are any DVD recorders that do PAL to NTSC conversions.

Some (e.g. Panasonic and Pioneer) will allow you to make a NTSC DVD from an NTSC source, but not from a PAL source.

Specific to what you want to do:

a) Record on a DVD from either a camcorder or UK TV and send it to him so that when he puts it in his standard/cheap DVD player he can view it. Since my sources are PAL and his cheap DVD player would be NTSC only this would require conversion.

A recorder can’t do this. You have 3 options:

1. Have him play your PAL disc on a PC – PCs don’t have the issues with PAL that TVs do.

2. Have him find a NTSC DVD player that will play your PAL disc. They are a minority, but some NTSC players will play a PAL disc on a NTSC TV. He could take one of your discs into a shop and try and find something that will play it.

3. Do a conversion from PAL to NTSC. You can buy hardware converters to do this, or do it in software on a PC. This is the most complex and requires additional purchases (hardware and/or software).

b) Him to buy a cheap and cheerful DVD recorder in US then record something from a camcorder or US TV and send it to me so that I can put it in my newly acquired machine and view it. I guess if I have a multiregion player then I could watch this in NTSC but really would want to be able to properly convert it to PAL

This won’t be an issue, even if your player isn’t multi-region. Any home recorded discs are region free, and most PAL DVD players will handle a NTSC disc ok.

c) as b) but for me to be able to copy the DVD onto another DVD so that when it goes in a friend's cheap and cheerful DVD player he is able to view it. This would definitely require conversion from NTSC to PAL.

If you go for the Pioneer or Panasonics, they can make a copy of a NTSC disc… the copy will also be NTSC, but your UK friends should be able to play it.

For current models, look at the Panasonic E85 or E95, or the Pioneer 420 or 520. Not the Toshiba XS32, as it doesn’t handle NTSC at all. Note the Panasonics have new models coming out.

Don’t worry too much about formats, see this recent thread

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=113

Mark