1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I nearly Lost all Faith & 1000 pound !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kopite4Ever, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    got my Hitachi Tx100 last tuesday. with making the screen waiting for amp, speakers cables stands etc to arrive and install tonight was the night i finally got my wishes come true. mounted the screen wired up pj no components inputted so i see the menu. zoom, lens shift a little then :eek: it don't fit my screen properly. the wood on the bottom horizontal of the screen bows to right hand hand side at the very end. about a ft in it starts and i miss about 2mm of the picture :mad: was abit miffed and thought i wont see it when im watching the film. so onto setting up TT and ffdshow. went fine but film was stuttering alot and i thought this shouldn't happen on my pc so i was peeved again :mad: seems that NR & Blur was killing me so i took that off and just used ffdshow to scale the picture. so gets DVE out messes about for a while till i was sort of happy. didn't change alot as i couldn't chane colour etc from my pc's dvi output so it seemed like a waste of time. so after all this im finally ready to test some films. i though right one i thought looked good on my CRT through RGB scart so picked spidey 2 as i recently watched it. on loading waiting patiently with a grin. this grin however was soon to turn into a :rolleyes: then a :suicide: the picture was lifeless. face tones looked awful no detail in the picture i just though what a complete waste of money. messed about with more settings tried the default PJ ones and changed gamma colour temps etc but to no avail. i just had my head in my hands and wanted to give up. i could get the flesh tones ok after a while but again no life in the picture. even the CGI spiderman looked poo. using some of the hitachi's defaults the flesh tones went to bright red down to pale like a ghost. after hours and alot of money i was so annoyed i gave up. almost tempted to put it all back in the box and sell it on i had another crack. i thought hmm another dvd perhaps. monsters inc, one dvd i wanted to avoid like the plague as it shows any half decent system off. but i was amazed at the difference !! quickly popped in i-robot. wow no this is what expected it to look like. i cant exactly compare will smiths face to tobey maguires for obvious reasons but this picture had life/detail. my faith finally restored. i was adventurous and out came Bourne supremacy HD DivX trailer and a 24 episode in HD i have. omg this is the stuff of dream. i know dvd wont look this good but wow. so i knew the pj is up for the job. it maybe just the worst choice in first dvd. i ended. 4-5 hrs after all this and now knackered.

any fellow hitachi owners care to use spidey 2 R2 and see if its just me !
    also post any settings over dvi i should try out just to see if i can get it better. only tried them 3 films as well. maybe with your help and some experimentation i can get a decent image.

thanks for staying with me

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Spiderman in has been slated on these forums and in magazines and on other websites for a poor picture. No excuses from Columbia for messing that one up.

If you want to see a good DVD image check out Swordfish & Open Range. Both are fab transfers.

Glad you managed to resolve your initial concerns.

Cap :)

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i have swordfish will check it out tomorrow. maybe i was a little exagerating but after all the money i had invested and all the time i had expected to be wowed. the DVE disk i used was better than spiderman 2 in terms of PQ. its looks the biz on my CRT but again u notice things alot more when its about 7ft wide.

ta cap

wow i really should be in bed ! up early :eek:

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    dont forget to add your pictures to the lets see yours thread when set up is complete.

Now get to sleep!

Cap.

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Hi, its always a test when first setting up a projector, but after a few days of tweaking it will begin to fall into place.

Looking at your PC specs, I can only assume you are trying a multiple resize? Having played with these settings extensively, my advice is to try a normal pixel map resize (1280 x 720), Lanczos 2 (a long thread over at AVS showed anything higher was causing ringing), and then some 3D denoise and sharpen to taste. You may not like the results but its my current preferred method.

Lastly, don't rely on DVE to much. I've always preferred calibrated to my eye rather than trusting a disc :)

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :eek:

Heresy. :D

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    here are the FFDShow settings i first used

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was making my system skip frames badly. so i had to uncheck the demoise3d and it seemed to work alot better but with that option on it looked a nicer image :( have to sacrifice it of course. will post more results after 6 when i get back. and cap i will add my pics to "show us yours" once ive been to b & Q to get truncing as there are wires a plently :D

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    also my TT video settings

[​IMG]

forgot to mention i used this guide. http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_3

when it comes to setting up sonic decoders i didnt have/use them so i skipped that bit. was there something i should have been doing instead ?? i have the nvidia dvd decoders if that helps

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I can see a couple of problems already, perhaps try the following:

. Under Blur and NR, you have BOTH Gradual Denoise and 3D Denoise ticked. It should be one or the other, personally I like 3D Denoise so untick the other
    . Set the Lanczos parameter to 2
    . Luma and Chroma sharpens are a little high, although I'm at work so can't remember what I have mine set to. I prefer to replace some/most of this sharpen with Descaler sharpen, again I haven't got the settings to hand

Its a start :)

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd say lose Chroma Sharpen altogether, I have never seen it make a difference nor anyone else report one either.

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    First time I've seen some of these HTPC options. :eek:

Looks like my assumption that HTPC stands for "Happy Times Parameter Changing" wasn't far out after all! :D

...PJ

12. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I'm fairly certain my Chroma Sharpen is also at nil as I understood this caused ringing, but wanted to check when I get home tonight :)

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Plenty of discussion about FFDSHOW in the HTPC forum. ;)

14. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    thanks guys im at the comp science labs in uni at the moment so i will mess about with the settings recommended by urbanT when i go home

will post results later :thumbsup:

15. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    right messed with some settings on ffdshow and tested on comp monitor. can see a vast improvment so far will test on PJ later when its dark.

UrbanT if you get a chance can you post some settings for me to try and play with, thanks.

one thing i cannot have is denoise3d at any settings. this makes the film jumpy and skip frame and its a pity as it looks nice with that setting. one thing i did notice was with this setting on i can play avi's no problem, tried it with some alias and 24 ep's but when reading off a dvd its the problem. would i be best ripping the files uncompressed to HDD and trying TT using the vobs etc ??

now using lanczos 2 with luma sharpen at 0.65 and no chroma sharpen.

anything else i should be playing with later to help bring some vivid colours and life to my dvd pictures

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Bauer
    You are making me feel very guilty.
    I took my TX out of the box, hooked up my aging Pio 525 via a S-Video lead, put on LOTR, and went WOW!
    I did fiddle a bit, ie bought a 575 and a component lead - double WOW!
    May fiddle with the brightness and contrast on the 575 tonight, just to make me feel a little less guilty!

Good to see you are getting there!
    ...PJ :)

17. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    the acid test will be after dinner when i fire up the PJ. it does look better on the monitor than yesterday ! dont feel guilty at all if your happy with your setup then great :thumbsup: maybe im just expecting to much !

ripped a dvd to my HDD ran TT with denoise3d in FFDShow allowed and got teh same stutter but it isnt present in avi playback. just seems my 64bit processor cannot handle it.

will try some other dvd's tonight like Swordfish (recomended by cappy) 5th element, Day After Tomorrow and LOTR etc.

PJTX100 are your settings still default out of the box at the present time ?

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Nope, I lived with default for about a month then started to fiddle. I stored the defaults in memory 1 so I had a reference. Memory 2 I went with Dynamic setting, fiddled a couple of other things, this improved things a lot including shadow detail, I'm up to memory 3 where I custom tweeked the gamma setting to extract even more shadow detail. Flicking between the memories the difference is significant, seeing memory 1 I now think "how did I live with that for a month?!".
    Not needed to tweek the factory settings yet, VB is only very slight and not noticable 95% of the time.
    ...PJ

19. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Right, had a quick look to see my settings, which are, in order:

Dscaler Filter - 64
    Blur & NR - 3D Denoise 0.5,0.5,5
    Resize - 1280x720
    Luma & Chroma - Nil
    Lanczos - 2

In Theatertek, I use 'Smart' instead of 'Auto', and the Nvidia Post Processing first, and FFDShow in the 2nd box. Having copied the settings, it will be interesting to see if you still have stuttering.

As for your stuttering, I can say confidently this is not your CPU, there is plenty of power to run this resize (I have used 2x resize without stuttering), and only use the above settings as I prefer the look.

Interestingly, I have an ATI 9800 pro, and have never had stuttering. I recently bought a 6600GT after all the recent reviews. I completely formatted the HCPC, and installed the card. Regardless of the settings I used, the numorous driver versions suggested (all after reformats), and settings suggested by other users, I could not remove the stutters.

I reformatted, put the ATI back in, and all the problems stopped. The 6600GT wasn't a waste as its now in my internet/gaming PC and performing very well in games, but I couldn't get it playing DVD's smoothly. Before I'm flamed, I'm not saying its a bad card, I love it in this PC, but investigation when trying to sort the problem revealed lots of owners with stuttering problems. Is there any possibility you can try a different card?

20. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    righty copied your settings exactly in FFDshow (Except Couldnt change Dscaler value to 64) and TT changing for nvidia 1st then FFDShow Second & Smart. no stutter what so ever

nope im afriad i cant use a different Card in my system.

just about to try spiderman 2 & Van Helsing the 2 dvd's which i thought were poor.

i know the PJ is spot on as Swordfish looked amazing as did lord of the rings EE's. and for the HD Trailers i have i nearly wet myself. so the PJ is up for the job so it must be the settings along the line doing me in.

report back in a min after seeing these dvd's

21. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i just watched the same scene in harry potter & POA on my PJ then on my monitor.

PJ - PC : DVI-D Dual Link
    Mon - PC : VGA

the monitor had so much life in the picture to the pj i was amazed. High Def there favours the PJ but dvd's favour the Monitor. monitor is run at 1280x1024 so same scaling is done.

any ideas on changing colours either on PJ or in Software. maybe PJTX100 can help me here ;)

22. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Told you ;)

Cap :hiya:

23. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    cheers cap! nice car by the way. between the HS50 and the tigra you'll be picking up women like there is no tomorrow :D

righty since ive been away ive tried DVE again and got slightly better results.

put on indiana jones TOD and SW ep 4. both looked good as well. i thought on the off hand i will dabble with the thx optimiser. saved it to a different option. its now looking like i expected it to. i have 3 different levels and i will change according to the material. after the THX the picture seemed to be brighter and i messed with the iris to darken it and it worked a treat. used the rope scene bit and the sky was as blue as my eyes :smashin:

im slowly but surely getting there hehe and ready for a full film. pity i have the champions league match 2moro so it will be the weekend now. stil plently of time to mess.

again thanks for the help more than likly i'll be back on here having another moan :D

good night all

24. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Jack,

The 50 has gone back. Looking at a SIM2 30H this week :smashin:

Champions League?? whats that? The big one is here in Bristol. City vs. Oldham. We must win!!!! :lesson:

25. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Have you tried different iris settings? I think the tx100 is meant to give the most contrast at the smallest iris. For kicks, after trying a large screen I tried projecting onto a small screen (well, 40" or so, a piece of grey A1 card) - it certainly makes a bright picture! You might enjoy comparing that with the monitor picture.

26. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i cant argue about the contrast ratio, that is excellent. blacks are truely black. i think ive just come to some conclusion that certain dvd's just look awful at that size. i gave nemo and monsters inc a run out and that is full of vivid colours. i was expecting to see them washed out but they were fabulous. im just gonna test some more films and tweak abit more till its right. indiana jones and SW trilogy looked fab as well. got to put the hours in eh ! also got a respectable looking picture on HP & POA as well so its coming along slowly but surely hehe

27. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Sounds like things are progressing rapidly. :thumbsup:
    Don't expect every DVD to knock your socks off.
    In terms of PQ I've enjoyed every film so far (can't say that for the actual film content however ;) ), but clearly some DVD's scream colour and life while others struggle in the shadows.
    Next time I fire the TX up I'll note down the settings I use...PJ

28. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    cheers PJ ;) abit cheesed off that now its very watchable i cant watch a film till friday due to other commitments :( o well at least i will be seeing the future 2005 champions league winner tonight and the carling cup winners ;)

29. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Coincidentally I am a life long 'pool fan, and I admire your optimism!
    ...PJ

30. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Bauerctu,

Dont panic when you see SKY or digital through the PJ...

Oh no....shocking!