1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i must be the unluckiest person ever with widescreen tvs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Roy B, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Roy B

Roy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.buys whafredale 28 inch ctv 850 from tescos,it developes intermitent high pitched whistling takes it back for refund.
    2.decides to spend a bit more so buys phllips 6515 from online discount store .terrible geometry with vertical lines in the picture bending to the right at the top of the screen.also after about an hour of use a clicking started coming from the back of the set.phonerd three times for an engineer with no joy so told them to come + get and refund me.
    3.buys sony kv28ls35.when i switched it on the picture was a good 15 mm smaller on the left side compared to the right.also green blob appeared in top right hand corner.then found out my sony davs300 wouldnt fit in the cabinet.takes it back for refund.
    4.decides to go as cheap as possible again gets bush ws6671 from argos.picture ok but speakers start buzzing loudly after about a week .was like watching the tv sitting next to a transformer.takes back to argos gets refund.
    5.buys sharp 66fw53h from argos wich is the one im watching now.speakers ok but the geometry is out vertical lines bending at the top again when the canera pans down its almost like watching throo a gold fish bowl everything seems to curve if you see what i mean.
    when i can be botherd ill take this one back to for a refund but to honest im scared to by another tv.

2. Colger

Colger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont want to put you off but I have been involved with 4 Panasonic and 2 Sony widescreen sets in a 12 month period - all but the last Panasonic PB50 rejected for various reasons.
    My current Panasonic PB50 is now superb and exhibits none of the problems which we have been complaining about including moire' patterning in NTSC.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Responding to the original topic I would say that getting a TV with perfect picture geometry is a very hit or miss affair. And it always has been like this. Especially on larger screen standard crt sets.
    But I remember briefly reading a What Video review of a set recently that did give a rave review for a particular type of tv. Unfortunately I can't remember what tv it was but I presume it was either a flat screen or plasma type. The geometry was stated as being perfect because of its tube type- it not being a standard crt.
    Maybe someone more knowledgeable on this forum could give us the details.
    Ok so I don't fancy spending ages searching through back issues of WV.