1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i-mode from O2 (mobile internet service)

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by tictacfish, Oct 15, 2005.

1. tictacfish

tictacfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI if you don't anyready know.

If you live in the UK you may noticed the 'mysterious' i-mode billboard posters everywhere, featuring phrases such as 'i can help you buy flowers'. Its the start O2s biggest ad campaign ever; coming upto xmas you won't be able to get away from it...

i-mode is a mobile internet service originally from Japan, with over 50 million users worldwide. 02 are now bringing this to the UK...

More info: http://www.i-mode-i.co.uk/

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    It does not say how it wokrs, does it use GPRS?, or a different protocol, no mention of 3G, only thing I see is standard GPRS on all the i-mode phones...the i-mail sounds interesting, push email just like blackberry, but for free, only down side is you can only use the address given to you...

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    It does not say how it wokrs, does it use GPRS?, or a different protocol, no mention of 3G, only thing I see is standard GPRS on all the i-mode phones...the i-mail sounds interesting, push email just like blackberry, but for free, only down side is you can only use the address given to you...

4. paulmcg

paulmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    it is supposed to be bearer independent - it probably uses 2.5g (GPRS) at the moment, but there is no real reason why it can't be used on 3g.

If the phones advertised don't say 3G, then they probably aren't.

It is basically an application that resides on a chosen handset, operating as a client/server.

5. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    so you have to buy another phone to use this I-mode thing?

I don't think I will bother, I already had my fingers bunrt by buying a Motorola phone from O2, I am shocked that O2 sells such rubbish.

6. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    The only phone (in Ireland anyways) that supports I-Mode is an NEC one. It looks decent enough, but it's supposed to be utter crap.

7. cdrider

cdrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You use an i-mode phone. Currently NEC and Samsung are doing them - and are getting pretty good reviews - but as with anything more are on the way.

It uses its own protocol but over 2.5G. There's a boatload of retailers with i-mode sites ready at launch so at least there's something to look at unlike when WAP launched.

The subscriptions aren't too bad but it depends on how much you'd use. YMMV caveat as with anything really. The subscription price is capped at £3 a month.

o2 stores will tell you all about it and the o2 call monkeys have 1000 people trained up on it so info is out there.