1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Love my PD30!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Anastie, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Thought that it was about time I put a few thoughts down on here that may help others that went thought the usual 36” dilemma.
    I was torn for weeks and weeks between the PF2 and the PD30. I rang the company (Sound and Vision) that I was buying from several times to discuss my pore delivery nerves after ordering the 36” PD30. I was so very close to changing my order to the Toshiba many times.
    In the end despite all the comments on here I went for the PD30. A few sleepless nights leading up to delivery did not help my anxiety!
    However it arrived and the previous advice I was given about planning and cables appears to have paid off. I was sent the idiots guide to connecting my AV setup. This includes a Sky digibox, SVHS video, Toshiba 220 DVD and a Sony STRDB930 receiver. Now I wanted the best possible picture so that if the PQ looked crap then I had ruled out everything cable related that I could. I spent about £150.00 on cables. This may seem a lot to some but I was able to get discount from the tech-link distributor/manufacturer and they even gave me a useful customer number and delivered in 24hrs. Purchased online they would have cost me considerably more.
    The guide I was given was perfect for a fool like me (Thanks John)
    Now onto the setup. Through the digibox the picture was appalling using RGB and I thought my fears were all coming true this TV really is crap. However a further trawl on here showed that this is a common problem so you just switch the digibox setting in the picture menu to PAL. This has resulted in excellent picture quality. I think it may be even better from SVHS on digibox but let’s wait. The DVD player connected through component is fantastic. It makes no difference to quality if I watch a region 1 or 2 etc. They all look superb.
    I have had no black crushing problem, all blacks look very detailed. Nor have I had any white banding problems. Yes the black and whites are very powerful but not over poweringly (Such a word) so. The TV has no geometry problems it is perfect out of the box. No green tint either.
    The TV is a bit like looking through a window at times but I do not view this as a fault and mainly notice it on poor quality channels.
    Ass for the dirty mark effect YES mine has this to. But do not be put off my wife has never noticed it until I pointed it out and even then it’s not easy to see. I only notice it on pure white backgrounds (i.e. very rarely). The best way to describe this mark I think is that it’s like a small smudge you may get after cleaning your windows noticed in bright sunlight!
    Sound quality is far better than I expected from built in speakers. I do miss a little my “Surround sound” from my previous set but then all I need to do is switch the receiver on but can’t always be bothered for “normal” TV. It does have effective bass and good separation given the “Built in arrangement.”
    In summary this I can live with. I love this TV and think it is a major step in the right direction for PQ. Oh yes and it is extremely heavy so burglars beware you may sustain an injury.

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    As a fellow 36PD30 owner I totally agree with Anastie's comments.

From my Sky+ both s-video and RGB give a much better picture than composite (PAL) The only difference between s-video and RGB I have seen for Sky+ is occassional haloes/blockiness via RGB.

Now I cannot wait to mod my PD30 for 1080i (once I've found out how to do it) and try a 1080i source.

3. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    oer tell me more

4. malaga

malaga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what seems to you the quality of image in comparison with pixel plus ?

they have experimented with dvd progressive by components?

thx!

5. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    My m8 has a pixel plus. Now this is the tv that started me on this road. But as good as it is I prefer the PD30.

6. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anastie M8

In what respect do you prefer the PD30? Is it picture, connections or what.

thanks

Bazza

7. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I too am very pleased with my 36" PD30 and have yet to notice and dirty marks. And its nice to know that it is more than too heavy for a thief to rob! The geometry is a little out which I will need to spend some time doing and the red setting is a little on the high side, but apart from that its superb. Along with this and my new dvd player and sub im in HC heaven.

8. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question for DpM: does your dreamcast work well on the PD30? I assume you have hooked it up through RGB?

9. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I own an older Panasonic at the moment, and am having problems using Macro's on my learning remote as my TV requires the user to hold down the Standby button for about 1 second before switching on or off. As the macro will only activate for about 0.3 seconds, powering on or off the TV never works. Can you fonrm whether the PD30 has this same strange problem

10. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Baz I prefer the PD30 over the pixel+ as the picture has less problems dealing with fast moving objets eg football. But to be fair I dont watch that much footy. Overall I do prefer the Pq on the PD30 to the PF2 and P+.

11. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Anastie,

I actually own a PD30 until tomorrow when its going back. I find the picture on Sky quite poor with a lot of noise showing up as wavy background colours. I even brought a Sky+ box but its the same. I think it's all to do with the reported noise on the RGB inputs. Last night before I made the final decision to get rid of it and try something else I was playing around with my Humax satellite receiver that you can quickly change from RGB to S-video. I found a satellite station that was showing a colour test card and kept switching between RGB and S-video. On the RBG signal you could make out the noise on some of the lighter colours where as changing to S-video cleaned it up. I can only assume the same effect is happening on Sky RGB as I see the colour noise and the wavy whitish lines when the picture fads to black or at the end of films when the credits role. Reading the various threads shows that a lot of people who have a PD30 say how bad Sky looks via RGB
    Now, I've just ordered a P+ for good of bad so that I can rest at night knowing that I tried them both. I must say, if the P+ doesn't work out to my liking I will most probably go back to the PD30 and run everything though S-video. But like I said I must try this little experiment first. Its a pity as I like the look of the PD30 but at the end of the day its what's on the screen that's more important to me than the looks and for that kind of money its a shame Panasonic has let the team down with, Maybe, some dodgy RGB units. Who knows, as Panasonic say they have no reports of dodgy RGB inputs.

Bazza

12. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah right:devil:

...and if you ask Philips Customer Service, they will say they've never heard of the Black bars problem....:laugh: :laugh:

13. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know, I thought of you when I wrote that bit and all the others that have written about customer support who claim we all imagine these problems:D :D :D

Bazza

14. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've loved spending my refund from returning the 36pd30 !

Given the choice between a big TV that I was doomed to be unhappy with for the rest of time, or keeping my smaller old TV and getting sky+, a subwoofer and a new dvd player amongst other things and still having a hefty wad left over - I think I know which has given me the most pleasure....

15. soulbrother

soulbrother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Anastie,i am in the same boat you were regarding the PF2 0r the PD30.At first it was the PF2 then i changed my mind and prefered the PD30,but after reading all the horror stories on the forum i was a bit appprehensive.I was thinking of waiting a bit longer and saving up fo a plasma instead,but very good that plasma's are the P.Q on the PD 30 should still be better,now ive read a few posts from people who have got a PD30 and have had no faults ,im probably going to go with the PD30.I have a pioneer 737 (prog scan) dvd,a denon 3802 receiver and mission 774/771/77ds and a kef sub.I am thinking of upgrading my dvd player to the Denon2900.How much did you pay for it?

16. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really happy with my pd30 as well. Best tv, I have ever seen!

17. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Can I join the PD30 'love-in' please.

Like many of you I was concerned reading some of the stories on this forum while my 32PD30 was on order. I am however thrilled with the set. The picture from my DVD (Sony DVPNS930) through the component inputs is excellent and the styling means the set does not dominate my living room.

The off-air picture is excellent aswell if the signal is good, I am on analogue at the moment, but I will reserve my complete recommendation until SKY+ is installed as this will mean using the dreaded RGB scart. I have tested the scart with my DVD and things seemed OK, ie no 'Black Crushing' but you never know.

Sound from the TV's speakers isn't great though and I do not have a surround set up yet. I do have a 2 channel stereo setup though which I am using, and this is proving very effective.

18. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can you feel the love in the room for the PD30? About time too. I'm dead chuffed with mine - had it since the start of July, and I think it is a belter of a TV.

Rulocal - you have the option to use s-video with the Sky+ box - it works best for me. I don't have a major issue with RGB inputs, but I use that and the Sony 730 Pal progressive, and it wipes the floor with anything else I've seen to date.

Also, if you're getting Sky+, it would be rude not to upgrade to a decent surround set up. The TV was clearly designed with this in mind - more of a monitor than a TV really. Any review of this TV which marks it down for the sound capabilities is ridiculous IMO. You buy the best TV on the market for the picture and styling - nothing else.

Shame I paid £1499 for the 32" - but I bought it from a Panasonic shop on the day of its release. If I had any patience I'd be a millionaire.....

19. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I do intend to get an AV amp/speaker set up but for the minute my hifi will do.

With regard to S-Video with SKY, what cable do you use? Do you have to use the front S-video input or can you use an S-Video to scart such as this one?

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/381

If I do go this route do I have to change any of the settings on my sky box, from RGB to Pal for example?

20. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's what I use - S-video to Scart on AV2S at the back. I use a Thor, but the Ixos one there looks decent - don't think the Thor was much cheaper - about £20 from maplin I think.

The RGB and Pal settings have no effect when using the s-vid output.

21. robtodd

robtodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I received the TX32PD30 yesterday. I may be in love, or blinded by the brightness and contrast settings. Pioneer DV565 set to component progressive scan is a near religious experience.
    Watching the Manchester derby as Scholes scores. As with my previous set a TX28PL1 the football suffers some "smudging" across the green of the grass. I have a four year old Pace digibox. Using PAL or RGB via AV1 makes not a jot of difference to this effect. Even after a day though, watching movies with the RGB option the picture is fantastic.
    My question is how do I obtain S-video from the Sky box? It isn't an option in the services menu. Is this available from Sky+ or newer digiboxes?

22. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Only the SKY+ box and the Grundig 2000, 3000 210/2 and 310/2 series (not 210 or 310) have s-video out.

Cheers

23. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Hi guys,

Just to add my meagre 10pence worth to this pretty welcome thread, after about a month of burning-in & tweeking both my 36PD30 and Denon 2900, I can safely say that the PD30 is producing - without a shadow of a doubt - the best picture I have yet seen on a CRT.

I had a Tosh 36ZP38 (had to be returned:( )which after some tweeking, looked fantastic...but the PD30 beats it hands down. Ok, it is usually dearer (mine was £200 more:eek: ), but it is well worth the extra 2 tonne! Easily!!

My set is primarily used for NTSC Progressive DVD playback, but I also use my Xbox through it and it has never looked so good, especially PAL60 games - awesome!

After all the bashing the PD30 has had, it's good to see a bit of a fanclub out there, which I'm proud to be part of:smashin:

Regards to all,

LAGAVULIN

24. robtodd

robtodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So Sky+ here we come. Cheers shawkins002.

25. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Hi Guys,
    Just wondered if any of you experienced any problems with the background picture on the PD30. My brother had to send his back as it almost looked as if a light went out on the depth of field as he was watching the Spiderman dvd on the alleyway scenes it was very difficult to see the background picture.Would appreciate any comments you may have on this i.e. is this relating to the tv being faulty or is there anything you can do with the settings to improve this situation.???????

thanks
    swartzy;)

26. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    The PD30 does seem to have some problems with dark areas via RGB where all detail is lost, especially if other parts of the scene are bright.

This "dark crushing" appears to be due to the RGB output of some DVD players being too high. i.e. you will get this RGB problem from some DVD players but not others.

I have tested several DVD players on several PD30s (the problem was the same on all 3 PD30s that I tried) For example, the problem exists on Pioneer 454 and Panasonic SCHT900 DVDs but it is not a problem on a Panasonic S75 DVD (or Sky+)

One solution is to route the output from the DVD player via another source. For example by having the RGB out on my DVD go to the RGB in of my Sky+ and then watching the DVD via the RGB out of Sky+ cured this problem for me.

If you have this problem with your DVD player changing your PD30 for another one is unlikely to make any difference. Probably better to do as I have done and change the DVD player for one that has component outputs instead and skip RGB altogether.

27. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    many thanks for the feedback...my brother has the sony 420 dvd player so maybe he needs to replace this...thanks again

much appreciated

swartzy:smashin:

28. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Only in 50htz im afraid. In 60htz the picture jumps every 2 or 3 seconds. Which is a shame as it means im useing the Dreamcast less and less.

Would have replied sooner but didn't receive any emails regarding this post!

29. Linkintones

Linkintones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    DpM,

When you play 60Hz Dreamcast games, can you select different picture options like internal progressive scan and Acuity? Does it make any difference if you select any of those? When did you buy your tv (which batch)?

//Daniel

30. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Daniel,
    Last time I tried my DC on the PD30 im quite sure I tried the various settings, I will have another fiddle over the weekend and report back on Monday.

Must have purchased mine around mid August. Does this make a difference? Are the newer ones cured of this horrible problem?

DpM