- "I love it when a plan comes together"

Haven't looked at your thread since goodness knows when. Nice to see you've done the decent thing and upgraded your room with an HTPC, the only way to go IMO! I'd have thought you'd watch Freeview through Media Center but I see you have Sky+, is that because you have the sports channels or something?

Looks great that! Tidy, comfy looking room, nice kit and well thought out! Credit to you!

Thank you.:thumbsup:

The more I see of this Vista Media Centre (with the DVD layout thingy, not the My Movies plugin) the more I want it! Is this the full 64bit edition?

No, i've got the 32bit version. Vista Media Centre is brilliant. Great interface. Particularly good for showing off your setup to family and friends. However, in a practical sense i dont often bother starting up media centre, choosing instead to go directly through the folder and playing via media centre classic.. Vista media centre still also struggles with x264 and wmv-hd material.

And I also have one of those Keysonic "laptop" controllers - great bit of kit! Bargain too - think I paid £24 or £29 for mine?

Yeah, the Keysonic is very good. A few issues though as from time to time its quite easy to hit the slider bar by mistake. I sit around 3 metres from the PC and lose reception for a fraction of a second which can be irritating. On the wholse though its very good. I've now had the BTC one repaired (joystick snapped internally) and to me thats a better keyboard and has one button access to media centre together with the usual media centre buttons.

I'd have thought you'd watch Freeview through Media Center but I see you have Sky+, is that because you have the sports channels or something?

I dont have an aerial in my lounge.. cut the cable and got rid of it. So i have no option but to connect sky.

It is an absolute bummer running sky through the tv function.. responses are slow and its impossible to change channels via the pc. I've tried learning the buttons etc but its a waste of time.

One major bonus however is the fact that i have managed to upscale my sky via composite to 720p and the difference is massive!!! I've switched between ordinary composite and upscaled and the improved clarity is so easily evident. You really cant tell its a composite feed. I'd go so far as to say that some channels produce as good a pic as sky hd when upscaled via the pc. Its worth using media centres live tv function for that alone.:smashin:

thats really nice

question regarding your media centre, it looks like something i am interested in

2001537069870956082_rs.jpg

i have an xbox360 elite, how would i go about setting up a media centre with dvd content like that, i guess you store the hd content on the pc and stream to the xbox360? or is it something different

thanks

i have an xbox360 elite, how would i go about setting up a media centre with dvd content like that, i guess you store the hd content on the pc and stream to the xbox360? or is it something different

thanks
Firstly you'll need windows media centre on your pc connected via router to your 360. Secondly you wont be able to play mkv or h264 files via your 360 since it doesnt play the codecs and will simply say does not recognise codec. That pic you've displayed of mine relates to my dvd gallery not my hd content. That is achievable so long as you have media centre on your pc. Without being too lazy can i ask that you read Elootas thread on his diy build..its tagged here above this post somewhere. He gives very good directions to adjust your media center to allow dvds to be galleried.

Thanks for the compliments. I so miss my cinema. I'm currently out in Singapore at the mo on hol's buying some more gadgets for the lounge..:smashin: any suggestions anyone????????

Already bought myself a core 2 duo laptop with vista ultimate and 2gb ram. Just waved hello to my overdraft :eek: I know they are now selling network media players which have just come onto the market to play h264 and mkv hi def files.. however i've got a htpc so wont be needing that in a hurry. Thinking of buying a larger internall hdd to add to my pc for movie storage.. possibly even a hd dvd player though i've just sold my hd dvd addon for my xbox as i didnt use it!!!

thanks for that , which format do you use for dvd and hd dvd to be played through media centre and xbox 360

Firstly you'll need windows media centre on your pc connected via router to your 360. Secondly you wont be able to play mkv or h264 files via your 360 since it doesnt play the codecs and will simply say does not recognise codec. That pic you've displayed of mine relates to my dvd gallery not my hd content. That is achievable so long as you have media centre on your pc. Without being too lazy can i ask that you read Elootas thread on his diy build..its tagged here above this post somewhere. He gives very good directions to adjust your media center to allow dvds to be galleried.

Thanks for the compliments. I so miss my cinema. I'm currently out in Singapore at the mo on hol's buying some more gadgets for the lounge..:smashin: any suggestions anyone????????

Already bought myself a core 2 duo laptop with vista ultimate and 2gb ram. Just waved hello to my overdraft :eek: I know they are now selling network media players which have just come onto the market to play h264 and mkv hi def files.. however i've got a htpc so wont be needing that in a hurry. Thinking of buying a larger internall hdd to add to my pc for movie storage.. possibly even a hd dvd player though i've just sold my hd dvd addon for my xbox as i didnt use it!!!

i just cut out all menus etc on dvd's and convert hd dvds to mkv or wmv hd format. media centre is not so reliable though with my hd dvd files. I prefer to just play them through a directory on my pc in the traditional way. Whilst media centre is excellent i'll be honest i only ever employ that to impress the mates or family. When home alone i just run files directly.

Top job jag ! room looks bloody awesome .. Wish I had some DIY skills.. I would stand up to the challenge and then show it all off here :)

hi you can play h264 files on the 360 if you download a free program called transcode360 which works for that and plenty of other vid files,you can get it from here.
http://www.runtime360.com/

Just read through this thread from the start, what a great result!

Just read the whole thread, the remake of the room is amasing, love the workthats gone in too it and really like that red colour. The down down screen is so nicely built in, it would be mistake for being part of the room, not a add in, and i really like the floor lights under the tv.

Absolutely fantastic thread here mate :smashin:

Your hard work definitely paid off, it looks great.:thumbsup:

I don't know if I missed an earlier post, but can you remember how much the oak flooring was per m2?
I'm about to undertake a similar lounge refit, and I'm looking at various flooring types.

Cheers,
Mik

What a great result - a multi media empire!
How has the HCSV screen been - were there any ripples particularly just above the bottom weight bar? - mine had a few from new.

What a great result - a multi media empire!
How has the HCSV screen been - were there any ripples particularly just above the bottom weight bar? - mine had a few from new.

Thanks mate. Comments massively appreciated. I've got a few updates to put on here just havent had the time to get pics taken etc.

The screen is fine for what i paid. It's picked up a couple of ripples which are visible when the lights are on and the screen is inspected. Lights off though and they're not visible at all. Next time round i'll go tab tensioned though i'll be honest and say my screen only comes down say once in 2 months at best!
The 50" plasma more than does the trick.

Big updates on the way. I need to make the cinema child friendly...Yep you guessed it, the mrs has a bun in the oven due out in January 2009. My 'open' av cabinet will therefore need to be replaced with one with doors and a lock! I'm also a little worried about my M.A floorstanding speakers which could be easily scratched/dented. I should have thought about this before making the kids.. Bahh.. humbug. Also need to re-decorate the spare room. I'll need somewhere to sleep when the little one is born.... Not fair to be selfish, at least one of us should get a proper nights sleep :rotfl:

Thanks mate. Comments massively appreciated. I've got a few updates to put on here just havent had the time to get pics taken etc.

The screen is fine for what i paid. It's picked up a couple of ripples which are visible when the lights are on and the screen is inspected. Lights off though and they're not visible at all. Next time round i'll go tab tensioned though i'll be honest and say my screen only comes down say once in 2 months at best!
The 50" plasma more than does the trick.

Big updates on the way. I need to make the cinema child friendly...Yep you guessed it, the mrs has a bun in the oven due out in January 2009. My 'open' av cabinet will therefore need to be replaced with one with doors and a lock! I'm also a little worried about my M.A floorstanding speakers which could be easily scratched/dented. I should have thought about this before making the kids.. Bahh.. humbug. Also need to re-decorate the spare room. I'll need somewhere to sleep when the little one is born.... Not fair to be selfish, at least one of us should get a proper nights sleep :rotfl:

Congrats Jag.....ooh and good luck with the child friendly bit! :thumbsup:

Congrats Jag.....ooh and good luck with the child friendly bit! :thumbsup:

Well thank you kind sir!

Is it just me or do the women when pregnant become very sensitive to sound? I'm no longer able to increase the volume when we watch movies. Something tells me that after the birth of the child i'll be having to keep it down as "the little one is sleeping"..:rolleyes:

Well thank you kind sir!

Is it just me or do the women when pregnant become very sensitive to sound? I'm no longer able to increase the volume when we watch movies. Something tells me that after the birth of the child i'll be having to keep it down as "the little one is sleeping"..:rolleyes:

:D get yourself a decent set of headphones :smashin: works for me ;)

A question, when you show that screen shot of the DVD Library, what software is that where you are saving all your DVDs on? Is it run through a computer? Sorry to sound dumb but I am new to this and trying to piece it all together!!! :suicide:

yes it runs on a pc and is incuded in Vista Premium packages it manages your music, pictures, PVR and movie collection.

You rip your DVDs to hardrive and used the interface shown earlier.

I am up to 275 dvds on mine at present !!

This site will telll you all you need

http://thegreenbutton.com/default.aspx

hope that helps

Well thank you kind sir!

The thing I found is that if you shelter the child from loud noises then they will wake up at the drop of a pin, my two sat through all sorts and now they'd sleep through a bomb going off even when they were babies all was good. Just live your life as normal and the baby will adapt and just become part of it. Don't shelter them from your daily life and how you live and you'll have a peacefull time.

My 5 year old just loves it when I crank up the foo's or QoTSA

:)

The thing I found is that if you shelter the child from loud noises then they will wake up at the drop of a pin, my two sat through all sorts and now they'd sleep through a bomb going off even when they were babies all was good. Just live your life as normal and the baby will adapt and just become part of it. Don't shelter them from your daily life and how you live and you'll have a peacefull time.

My 5 year old just loves it when I crank up the foo's or QoTSA

:)

Thanks for the advice mate. I think the volume cranked up too much may push the little one to poo.. I've got to re-work the room entirely. Looking at my sofas for instance. I think i'll have to put a throw over them as they wont withstand child vomit or urine even though i've had them scotchguarded. Equally my AV cabinet is wide open for wandering hands.. Dammit. Why cant i just have one thats all grown up and house trained. Baah!

With reference to covering your kit, both of mine had plenty to do without pushing buttons or twirling knobs. I just turned off the displays on mine so there was no lights and flashing bits to catch their eye. I used to put a card in front of the sky box. The worse thing that happened is the eldest drove her walker into my MK K9 sub and ruined the cone, but a quick call to the MK suppliers in the UK I was sent one and changed it over. But like I said just hoover and do stuff as normal, even cranking up the sound, they're resilient. I do agree with you on the throws for the furniture, we still have them on and ours are 5 and 3 and they've saved the sofa's a few times a lot cheaper to bin a £10 fleece than a £500 sofa :p

Skars

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom