1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love diy cinema!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by buns, Mar 25, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am completing my latest round of diy upgrades.....am i the only one who feels really proud when you can say 'I made this!'!?

I made a built in equipment cabinet during the summer and had had my projector sat on top. But being loud and noisy lcd, it had started to get on my nerves.....so......i restructured my cabinet and made myself a little removable caddy which the projector sits on and is then pipe clipped onto the top board of the cabinet....then....i cut a hole on the doors of the cabinet to project though. Actually, fist time i made it way to big, i didnt realist i needed such a small hole, so i ended up making a new door too! So now i have my projector closed in a cabinet and it is the best improvement i can ever recall! The difference in noise is fantastic! I recomend hush box technology to anyone with an LCD!!!!!

Ad

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Pics please :)

3. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Buns,

What PJ do you have?

Did you take any pre and post noise measurements?

Out with the SPL meter :D

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would do some pics......but i dont have a digital camera, so i'll take some, just could be a while before i get them up somewhere!

I have a sanyo plv30......a noisy little bugger at the best of times! I havent tried with the spl yet.....but when you mention it, i'll have a play tomorow night!

But most irritatingly of everything.......having spend the whole weekend doing this......my mother has done a terrible deed.....she has questioned my joinery skills......so, with the long easter weekend, it is a trip down to b&q for a load of nice solid wood and a jigsaw! So the projector caddy goes out the window and the pj will now just sit on the top shelf of my new creation......

I'll get the pics going asap of that it was like and what its now like....and then someime next week, hopefully the new and improved version where there are no irritating gaps at the join of the doors, no cheap warped wood, and hopefully an altogether more professional job!

i'll have the spl out tomoz!

ad

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A quick play about has revealed a sound level in the old location of about 57db, and in its new compartment, down to 52, which is really quite good! :D

ad

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    That's pretty loud!

We got a Sanyo PLV 60 in on monady and that is only 37db and that is quite loud.

I've built my own equipment stand, Barco D600 stand, Tv stand, and designed one for Taz's equipment. I'm inb the middle of building a new TV cabinet for the living room to keep the dust out of the CVR and DVD etc.

Hopefully I'll be replacing my D600 with a Barco 28" monitor soon so will need something for that also.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Errrm, maybe i was doing something wrong then! I do only have my head about 3 feet from the fan.....so it is rather close! Needless to say, the only imes i previously couldnt hear the pj was when explosions and such were happening......on quiet spooky films it is awful!

Retro,
    I saw some of your pics, they look very nicely made. You just teach yourself all of that or is it learned from somewhere? I have been unfortunately lumbered mostly with manual tools, no jigsaw is a real bugger, so my efforts have been somewhat cautious! I am quite proud of my projector caddy though!

I think the stand buliding is something anyone can try, with a little advisement. With a bit of time you can come up with some really nice results and feel really proud! Though, I am somewhat of the hiding my equipment away variety, so I'm more into the side of diy to hide it rather than diy stands to show it off. It will all be clear when i get pictures......if ever!

Ad

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I get Taz m8y to cut bits for me. I then just have to do the small bits like drill holes etc. and put it together.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats handy, cutting 2 2 inch thick board of wood is not easy!

ad

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lovely idea and nice finish i have achieved........BUT!!!! The addition of a loaned rotel power amp to the cupboard has somewhat overheated everything.........It looks like tomorrow will be taking everything back out and upgrading the cooling system!

Doh!!!

ad

11. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Buns,

Did you ever post any pics of your DIY stands, I'm about to build mine to hold

Tag AVR32
    Arcam Alpha10 pwr amps x2 (one is a P3)
    Sony 7700
    Sony MD JB940
    Denon DCD1015
    Denon TU250 II
    Denon tape deck
    Panny Digibox
    Sony SLV1000 VCR
    and
    Panny 32PK20

I've designed it so it'll form a carcass around my original Hifi stands (sound Organisation) and so I can lower the TV down in the room to make way for a PJ screen.

Only thing is I dont, know where to get the veneer from to place on the MDF structures.

Hope anyone out there can help

:) :) :)

12. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Taz.:cool:

:D

13. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;)

Attached Files:

14. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:blush: What you after mate?

Taz.:cool:

15. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Taz

I was thinking something along the lines of a natural wood, birch, light oak, yew etc.

I've attached a VERY basic sketch to show you what I'm trying to achieve. It'll be somewhere along the lines of UrbanT's design but with Hifi racks placed either side.

The Hifi racks will be approx (HxWxD) 80 x 60 x 50cm
    connected by (HxWxD) 45 x 110 x 60cm

This lower part will connect the 2 hifi racks.

In the drawing the black, grills on the front are acoustically transparent material (allow IR to pass & aid venting), on either side of the hifi racks (not shown) will be more grills to allow for venting (Alpha 10's run very hot).

As the kit is already sat on perfectly sound hifi stands all I'm aiming to achieve is to build a solid carcass around them that will be able to take the weight of a 32in widescreen tv

It'll be my first major build so I hope to post the experience on this forum.

I was quoted £1500 for a custom cabinet along the same design:eek: :eek: :eek:

So any tips from you folks that have built your own would be very welcome.:) :) :)

Attached Files:

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    apologies for non replying......i forgot about this post and havent checked in here all that much recently!

I never did post pictures.....exams came along, then working, then holidays and now that i have a bit of time.....im busy chasing car insurance, mortgages and have a new amp requiring something of a rethink! life's tough! Conclusion I have is my cupboard is too small.....need new plans! hehe

ad

17. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Buns,

Any chance of some pics?

If you've still got your cabinet that is:cool:

As I said previously its my first major build so if I can do the research I'll be able to place a blow by blow account on how it is for an ordinary bloke with no exceptional DIY skills to build a custom cabinet.

Me thinks It may help a few people with "less money & more sense"

Regards:D

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry.......still no pictures........

all mine consists of is a small alcove in the wall......i placed a large board in his alcove is my top board fro the cupoard. I then put a single up right between it and the floor, ran runners between the upright and the wall and place shelves on......sounds complicated but really simple, dont with just bits and pieces of worktop and assorted wood scraps!

ad

19. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No worries:D

I'm pricing up materials at the moment:eek: