1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-link on my Camcorder is a joke.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by bboy-mass, Dec 16, 2004.

1. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello,

I have a Sharp Camcorder £250 notes, nothing flash just i-link. I have just transfered some tapes onto a DVD+RW disk, and the picture is awefull :eek:

My recorder is the ASDA 4-cus DVD Recorder £139.99, and I seem to be getting a better picture using the old phono plugs rather than the digital link.

Am I doing anything wrong? Or is i-link firewire over rated?

Regards
    Mass

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    No, IMO iLink is not overrated. If I capture video from my camcorder and then copy it back to the cam it is exactly the same quality as the origional.

You seem to be blaming the camcorder, but it could just as easily be down to the DVD recorder. What is output via iLink is unchanged from what is on the tape, so as the analogue output looks good then the recording must also be good. The DVD recorder has to compress the digital file in real time and it may not have good encoding hardware/software on the recorder and is therefore dropping the quality.

Mark.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I-link should provide a direct digital copy of the contents of your DV tapes wich should mean the picture quality should be comparable to the original footage on your DVD recorder.

I'm wondering if your DVD recorder is re-encoding the footage leading to poor picture quality. I've no experince with the Asda recorder but capuring via i-link on a Pioneer DVR-520 is identical to original footage.

Can you test the camcorder with i-link on your pc if you have one with a suitable connection.

It sounds more probable that the problems are being caused at the DVD end rather than the camcorder, providing playback of DV footage form the camcorder to TV is OK and the footage is being recorded to mini dv with no problems.

If the DVD recorder is stilll under guarantee it maybe worth exchanging it.