i.link/Denon link/Firewire all same?

Toonaroond

This may be a daft question but are all of the above the same/compatible?

Cheers

Toonaroond

Cheers - that opens my options a bit!

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
iLink is really a sub-set of firewire with specific higher-level protocols to manage flow and security of high definition audio. Plain firewire (IEEE 1394) is just a high speed computer interface for transferring big files very quickly over short distances.

For audio use, they say Denon Link is better than iLink, but I'm still very curious about why that might be. I can only guess at the moment that it's down to the different physical connection. Any better ideas?

Nick

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
iLink is really a sub-set of firewire with specific higher-level protocols to manage flow and security of high definition audio. Plain firewire (IEEE 1394) is just a high speed computer interface for transferring big files very quickly over short distances.

For audio use, they say Denon Link is better than iLink, but I'm still very curious about why that might be. I can only guess at the moment that it's down to the different physical connection. Any better ideas?

Nick

if its based on Cat6 then its a faster method allowing data to move quicker so if any errors creep in to the transfer they can be rectified quicker....

i guess?..lol

pils

I'd imagine it's more to do with the protocol than the physical connection. Denon just happened to choose an Ethernet style cable. They say DenonLink3 is extremely low jitter. I've not heard DL3 myself.

KMO

Who's "they"? Denon, by any chance? :D

I can't see any way in which Denon Link is superior to i.Link, except that it presumably saves Denon licence fees, and helps to get people locked in to their equipment.

It's the main reason I'm very reluctant to buy Denon kit. If they offered i.Link in the 3806 and 2930, I'd have snapped them up like a shot.

i.Link is essentially jitterless, by the way, as long as both ends implement PQLS/HATS clock synchronisation (the source gets slaved to the receiver's internal clock).

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
i.Link is essentially jitterless, by the way, as long as both ends implement PQLS/HATS clock synchronisation (the source gets slaved to the receiver's internal clock).
KMO, may I ask how you came to that conclusion? I'm not challenging it, as I quite agree, but I was just wondering how you arrived at that very succinct explanation?

Best regards, Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom