1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-Link and Denon-Link???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TheeNoMaD, Oct 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey hey

I'm just curious, because i read on the pioneer website that the i-link is ieee-1394 which is firewire? isnt it? Also doesnt the ps2 use i-link and can that be used for audio while playing a dvd?

As far as i know they are also uncompressed digital signals rather than the player converting them to analog and then back to digital again, much like hdmi or dvi.

Cheers for any replies hope you can clear me up :thumbsup:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Yes iLink was origionally the Sony version of firewire or ieee1394 and are all exactly the same thing.

Sorry never used a PS2

Firewire is uncompressed digital and can carry audio & video signals, which is why it is the only connection for getting full quality sound and video from a DV camcorder onto a PC for editng.

Mark.

3. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    gets me u can get an reciever with it - cheaper than the DVD drive (denon). I would of thought the dvd drive would always be cheaper than the reciever has the reciever has to do some work, and is simpler than the reciever.

4. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    i-Link (Firewire, IEEE1394 etc) on the PS2 was implemented initially to allow a simple way to connect multiple units together to play games, and perhaps allow additional peripherals to be connected in the future. The PS2 also has a USB connection in addition.

The PS2 utilises a Toslink optical digital out for audio, which sends either PCM, or the Dolby/DTS bitstream for external decoding. The PS2 is not able to connect into an AV Amp/Processor using iLink that I'm aware of. iLink is purely a high speed digital interconnect and doesn't send a formatted signal like DVI/HDMI, so any additional functionality would be added via firmware/software.

5. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Coolio cheers guys