1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i-link - advantages against other digital outputs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by krl25sc, Aug 11, 2003.

1. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty well decided on getting a Pioneer 2011 amp - current prices are just too tempting for what's on offer with this amp (and its obvious competitors).

One thing it obviously lacks though is i-link and the new 5i will be out of my price range. I'm struggling to see what you give up by not having i-link in an amplifier. Obviously you lose the ability to connect to an i-link equipped DVD player (e.g 757i) - but (i) isn't the connection between amplifier and DVD player digital anyway through a coaxial or optical link and (ii) isn't the i-link an audio only connection and not video? Is the i-link interface supposed to be a "better" digital connection than coaxial or optical?

Other than the DVD connection, what else might you use the i-link for - connection to a suitably equipped future plasma?

Thanks in advance.

2. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's more to do with DVD-A and SACD than video, although I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi,

rich is correct in that the iLink is used to carry copy protected SACD and DVD-Audio digital audio signals, in addition to PCM and bitstreams. Normal coaxial and optical digital connections aren't suitable for Copy Protected signals due to bandwidth problems. Digital video will be transmitted by DVI on the next Pioneer model. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies - I thought I remembered reading about some issues with the Pioneer 757i/AX10i i-link combination when playing SACDs - so it seems ironic that the main purpose of i-link between the two is for SACD and DVD-A.

Dutch - one question for you - how do you like the Momitsu via DVI to your Pioneer plasma vs the 757 via (presumably) component? I just got a Panasonic PW6 last week with DVI board and am just about to order a Brainwave 880 from Gertmany - so very interested to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    krl25sc answered by PM - incorrect forum for DVD/plasma info.

Steve

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    To enjoy multichannel DVD-A and / or SACD you would need to connect the DVD player and amp with 6 RCA/phono interconnects instead of one i-Link/Firewire cable.
    So it's not about giving up something but rather saving something.

Yes, but as explained the existing connections have a limited band-with, not sufficient for DVD-A and SACD.

Yes. In fact some manufactures "miss-use" i-Link (a Sony name actually) here, so instead of video and audio they only transmit audio.

Not better, just a higher capacity. You may know the same interface from PCs, Apple for example uses the term Fire-Wire but the actual standard is called IEEE-1394.

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    One might argue that it (1394) is a far better audio interface than sp/dif.

Steven

8. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, come to think of it, isn't i-link/1394 capable of transferring video as well e.g. I can transfer video and audio via 1394 from DV camcorder to PC?

Getting back to the original point (sorry for going slightly off-topic) - i-link/1394 on an amplifier - I think the conclusion to reach here is that if you use the amplifier for just DVD (and not SACD or DVD-A) spending £300 or so more on the Pioneer 5i over the 2011 may not be worth it (i.e. almost 50% of the cost of the 2011). What would be worth the extra to me is a DVI in (and out) on the amplifier - I haven't seen one of these yet though.

9. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    It may be a figment of my imagination, but I thought I'd read somewhere that data transmission over iLink is jitter-free, as there is some clock syncronisation process specified for it? This is a definite advantage over optical/coaxial, or I'm assuming it is, given the price you pay for cables that market themselves as "low jitter" :devil:.

Now we wait for someone to bring out an "audiophile" firewire cable. Hmmm.

Andrew

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Correct, on e.g. digital camcorders you can find IEEE1394 connections which transfer audio and video.
    Some harddisk recorders have IEEE1394 inputs, too.

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi Andrew,

To quote the 757Ai manual: "When playing DVD-Audio,CD or SACD discs over iLink, the digital audio is jitterless" :smashin:

Steve