Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

I know...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by activeservo, Jan 27, 2003.

1. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That this has been covered before many times,just wondering where I set the x-over on the receiver and on the sub?The receiver has x-overs of 80hz-100hz-120hz-150hz-200hz,and on the sub a high out dial ranging from 50hz-150hz.The question obviously is where do I set them??Any views will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

2. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Assuming you are connecting at line-level, set the crossover you want on the amp, then set the crossover on the sub to something higher.

What you set this crossover to depends on what speakers you have.

3. Chip Johannssen

Chip Johannssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With your speakers I would set the crossover on the amp to 120Hz and on the sub itself as high as it will go.

4. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Yamaha NSP400 speaker package,the front speakers have a frequency response of 65hz-20000hz,with that in mind would you still suggest I set the x-over on the amp at 120hz and the sub at it's highest{150hz}?Thanks in advance.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    And smoking is good for you.

Your question has been correctly answered by Chip Johannssen who obviously took the time to look at your previous posts (as I did) to answer your question.

6. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terribly sorry Ian,just clarifying that Chip and I understood one another.I just want to get it right!

[swearing removed by rjw]

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Not malicious at all but merely sarcastic as loudspeaker manufacturers have been know to be economical with the truth. There is no way that your speakers will go down as low as 65Kz without producing bucketloads of distortion :D

8. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry for that ,just misinterpreted the tone in your post .Your probably right those specs seem abit farfetched.Please accept my humble apology.No hard feelings I hope.:)

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    No problems. As everyone will be too pleased to tell you I am a sarcastic person at the best of times but it's a shame that the new moderator has seen fit to edit your post for swearing as I thought that your comment was quite amusing :D

10. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spelt malicious wrong{malliscious}.Obviously been away from England to long {20yrs}.The only time I speak English is when my mum phones which is about once a month,the rest of the time it's Hebrew.Thats my excuse ,anyway thanks for correcting my mistake,and by the way I adhered to Chip's advice.Amp 120hz -sub -Highest setting {150hz} and it sounds just fine,so thanks Chip! :)