I know you guys get asked this all the time.....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by shinodaclan, Aug 22, 2006.

1. shinodaclan

shinodaclan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but i need help deciding on what all in one system i should choose for my new house. I have been reading these forums for a while now but as movin into my house becomes very close i need some advice on the best setup i should go for.

Basically i have bought a SONY KDL32V2000 LCD (after reading good things about it from this forum)

I also have SKY HD being fitted in a couple of weeks. So thats basically all i got so far as i am starting a fresh. (moving from parents to live with g/f)

I want a good all in one system to compliment both the sky hd and sony lcd. budget is around £350. As guys with a lot of knowlegde and experience, what would you recommend??

Thanks in advance

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,363
    Personally I would never recommend an all in one, as the problem everyone seems to get after a year or two is, I need the latest DVD player and of course it's "Damn, have to dump the lot to upgrade".
    Go separates, it's only one extra box, far greater connectivity, far more flexible for future upgrades.
    Look at the packages available http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/avsystems/index.shtml. Click on the different makes as not all are shown. If where to recommend a starter setup it would be the Yamaha AV59 with a Toshiba 360 or Samsung 860 HDMI DVD player, and it would still come in budget. Later along comes cheaper HD DVD players and all you will have to change is the DVD player, and maybe move the HDMI one to another room.

3. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    if you're going the all in one route

panasonic sc-ht855

seperates are good but dependong on space it may not be an option

4. shinodaclan

shinodaclan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i keep reading about the panasonic. Is this a pretty good system? and are the tall boy speaks wall mountable?

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,102
    The panasonic is fantastic! I've just gone from a Denon 3805 and Anthony Gallo Nucleus micros to the Panny SCHT855 and I'm very surprised by the sound quality of the Panny. The tallboy speakers are wall mountable I believe. For £250 it's a complete bargain, best £250 I've spent in a long time!

6. radiowave

radiowave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate the boomy bass though.

7. The Count

The Count
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am very satisified with the Sony HT-SF1000. There is also a version (HT-SS1000) which has wall mountable speakers. It doesn't have an integrated DVD, but adding the DVP-NS76 provides a good system for around £400, with the flexibility to change DVD later.

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,102
    The boomy bass is probably because you haven't changed the default subwoofer level (which is set to 4, the highest setting) for dvd video. It also seems to have H-BASS on by default which doesn't help. I've set the subwoofer level to 2 and turned H-BASS off and it's a lot better than it was out of the box, in fact I'd say it's essential to make those changes to be honest.

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,102
    If the Sony HT-SF1000 is £150 better than the Panny I would be very surprised though!

10. radiowave

radiowave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Similarly, would the DenonDHT500SD's sound be £150 better than the panny?

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,102
    I don't know. All I can say is I've downgraded from a £600 amp and £750 speakers and I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from the £250 panny and for me that's all that matters!

12. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    You put the 2 side by side and the panny sounds better IMO and a lot of others think that as well. I tested both before I got the panny and was a bit dissappointed with the sony considering the price, you can get the denon 500 for cheaper than the sony and the £180 sony all in ones sound just as good as the ht-sf1000

If people think the panny is too boomy like zandy said turn the sub to 2 and take hbass off

13. shinodaclan

shinodaclan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the comments guys. i must admit i am pretty keen on getting the panny after hearing all your thoughts. one more quick question tho, does this system allow me to play surround sound on both sky HD and through the DVD player without having to switch cables around, basically so the system is set up correctly without me having to alter cables everytime i put a dvd onto get the surround sound? if that makes sense...

would u all agree that the sony KDL32V2000 and Panasonic SCHT855 would make a nice package (also with sky HD) for a beginner like myself?

14. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    The DVD player will give you 5.1 surround sound and you can connect the sky HD to the panny via an optical cable so if sky broadcasts in 5.1 you'll get 5.1 out of the panny

Nice package ;-)