I know been asked before but misses has given GO AHEAD!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshboyyo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello All.

I will try and keep this as structured as possible but please forgive if I wander. Firstly have new type detached house with integral garage. Garage size approx 17ft by 8ft. Want to convert garage to cinema room.

Garage currently has flat concrete floor approx a 7inch drop from hallway floor. Floors are made of that block stuff but will be plasterboarded. Garage door will go and be replaced by wall and window to match others in house. Brother in law is a builder thank god!!!

Lets start with proposed kit, this is open to change but more importantly need structural advice. Amp 6.1 Denon/Yamaha or Onkyo around £500. DVD Denon with upscaling around £400 Speakers def Mission Cubes as thy sound awesome but more importantly misses loves there look. Projector undecided but max £1500 screen max £300.

Floor would like to raise it about 6inches so it is just level with hallway floor as you now step down into garage. If I raise floor could i put some kind of insulation to stop the sound resonating. Also what is best for floor Carpet/Tiles Laminate??

Walls painted she wants a chocolate & cream theme. Is it viable to carpet the walls halfway up. Any other ideas will not go amiss. I definatly want to insulate the internal walls for sound proofing, any good reasoanbly priced products out there.

Ceiling - Firstly what color, and I am thinking of putting spot lights in on dimmer switch. Also will require serious insulating as guest room is above it.

What kinda screen size can I get away with if we are sitting about 16 ft away from it and what level. I hope to have AV kit mounted below screen. I was hoping for and 80" proj screen but might be limited after we have plasterboarded and insulated walls.

All cables will be run in walls ceiling so should look the DBs, just hope nothing needs replacing.

So so far the room willl consist of av kit and screen and projector mounted on ceiling. We will have an L shape sofa which will make into a double bed a massive leather bean bag and 1 X Small Stella fridge. Will I get away with black out blinds on window.

I know this is alot to ask and alot may have been posted before but please try and advice.

Many many thanks Weshboyyo

Work starts OCT 06

Hi mate,

For £1500 you can get the Themescene HD72i pj. There may still be some stocks left which include the free screen and free lamp voucher. This is a DLP pj so you will need to demo to make sure you don't see the rainbow effect too much.

Screen size - well you have kinda answered your own question. You need to know how wide your final room will be. You can then use either the manufacturers throw calculator or one on the net to get the max width & height mesaurements for your chosen pj. You can then decide if you want a short/long throw pj for the positioning of it in the room.

Steve

MOD COMMENT:

As this is a duplicate of a thread you've asked in the DIY forum (which since you are doing it yourself is the more appropriate place), I'm closing this thread. Please continue this in the DIY forum.

Please see forum rules - additional guidelines no. 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom