1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know another same old question!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Semiskimmed1976, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've just brought my first sub yesterday - a REL Quake - and basically I want to ensure I am getting the best out of it.

Being that i'm new to subs - the dials on the back and the booklet that comes with it, is making me a little confused - so please bear with me, cause i'm sure all my questions are simple, but better to ask and get the best out of my system than to sit back and wonder...

At the moment I have my contour set to depth instead of slam (cause I understand what they mean about this one in the manual :laugh: )

The Rolloff - I sort of know what this means, but how do I know where to set the rolloff...at the moment, I have it set to about 80HZ but how do I know being that i've paradigm floorstanders, should the rolloff be around 50Hz?

Next I have a mode switch with 1, 2, 3 and 4 - i've selected 2 but not sure why :) so which one should I set it too, and does anyone know how I would use the others and in what situations..

Next I have a low-level and hi-level - both of them are set to 12 O'Clock - what should be my criteria for setting these?

Phew...hope your still :boring: but if anyone knows anything about REL Quake, then help me :)

Cheers,
    Matt

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If the sub is connected via line level to an AV amp/receiver, set the roll-off to the maximum or activate the bypass (if applicable).
    Let the AV amp/receiver take care of the cross-over frequency and bassmanagement.

Dunno REL products. What does the manual say?

You should level the subs volume to the other channels using a test tone generated by the AV amp/receiver or test DVD.
    Then adjust the volume from the AV amp's setup and/or the sub's dial.
    If you don't use the high-level (speaker) inputs I guess the setting for the hi-level dial won't matter.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    From memory, Mode 1 is denoted Line, and Mode 2 is denoted LFE. This info is only given in the manual, and isn't marked on the sub. Modes 3 and 4 are as above, but with the phase at 180 degrees rather than 0. Basically, read the definitions below and try which ever mode you need in both 0 and 180 degrees. Whichever sounds better, stick with that.

Line means that both high (speaker input via the 3 wire "Neutrik" connection) and low (phono from your receivers "Sub Out" socket) connections have their frequency response dictated by the subs crossover setting. This is useful if your receiver has poor bass management, leaving you to use REL's normally very good bass management.

LFE means that the low level input bypasses the sub's crossover settings, and relies on your receiver's bass management. Normally this is the preferred option for home cinema, as you are guaranteed the correct distribution of bass frequencies to the correct speakers. High level input is still defined by the sub's own crossover settings, though, so that the sub can be used in a stereo setup.

I have never used Line mode on a REL before. I have tried to think on why someone would want to use this and the only reason is if a home cinema receiver's bass rolloff is too slow. So a AV receiver will still be sending a bass signal, albeit quieter, way above the rolloff setting you have chosen. Unless someone else has a reason for using Line mode?

If you are using LFE mode, I would set the crossover on the back of the sub to 5 hz above the lowest frequency attainable by your front stereo speakers. Sometimes speaker manufacturers, when specifying frequency responses, may state +/- 6db. Normally it is +/-3db, but by using 6db, speaker manufacturers can state a lower bass response: 50Hz rather than 65Hz for example. If +/-6db is how your speakers are specified then you may need to set the subs crossover slightly higher to make up fore this.

Hope this all helps -

Russell