I just went to buy a 50G10 and....

the mozza

Established Member
Reaction score
Didnt.

I have a Sony V40 and wanted something bigger and better. I was going to go for the Z5500 but its a bit expensive and decided maybe i could get more for my money with Plasma.

So after reading loads of reviews off i went. I was impressed with the G10, but it was sitting next to a V10, which was a little sharper. But there was a massive difference. When the film panned across the screen there was some motion jubber on the G10, nothing bad but noticeable next to the V10 which was perfectly smooth. I could not believe how well the V10 handled the motion. There is no way i could buy the G10 after that. Trouble is the V10 is another £400 and he says they are rationed and only get 1 a month.

Antway, i recommend the V10 to all, what an amazing tv

I have the G10 and there is often motion judder. When watching fast moving sport and occasionally on DVD, though the DVD performance is generally fine. I could not recommend the G10 to anybody, though people seem to be saying on the other thread that Pionner make better quality plasma's. I would not buy Panasonic again on principle since the G10 is such a poor all rounder. After my G10 experience I would not buy the V10 even if it was the last word in plasmas. Panasonic dont deserve it :nono:

Didnt.

I have a Sony V40 and wanted something bigger and better. I was going to go for the Z5500 but its a bit expensive and decided maybe i could get more for my money with Plasma.

So after reading loads of reviews off i went. I was impressed with the G10, but it was sitting next to a V10, which was a little sharper. But there was a massive difference. When the film panned across the screen there was some motion jubber on the G10, nothing bad but noticeable next to the V10 which was perfectly smooth. I could not believe how well the V10 handled the motion. There is no way i could buy the G10 after that. Trouble is the V10 is another £400 and he says they are rationed and only get 1 a month.

Antway, i recommend the V10 to all, what an amazing tv

I thought they would be exactly the same in terms of motion handling. Did one have the Intelligent Frame Creation on, and the other not?

I thought they would be exactly the same in terms of motion handling. Did one have the Intelligent Frame Creation on, and the other not?

didnt ask, sorry.

But i was astonished by the v10, best i have seen. I would of bought one if they were in stock

Disregard the negative comment :rolleyes: motion handling on both these sets is very good (I have a V10) BUT you must turn off IFC which is supposed to improve motion handling :eek: with it off it's superb as many on here will confirm :)

I have the G10 and there is often motion judder. When watching fast moving sport and occasionally on DVD, though the DVD performance is generally fine. I could not recommend the G10 to anybody, though people seem to be saying on the other thread that Pionner make better quality plasma's. I would not buy Panasonic again on principle since the G10 is such a poor all rounder. After my G10 experience I would not buy the V10 even if it was the last word in plasmas. Panasonic dont deserve it :nono:

Except that Pioneer don't make plasma anymore :rolleyes: & you clearly do not wish to accept that perhaps you had a duff one, there are too many members on here with excellent results for it to be a bad set; Just our opinion of course ;)

Disregard the negative comment :rolleyes: motion handling on both these sets is very good (I have a V10)
Why should the poster disregard my comment and accept yours. Perhaps simply on the grounds that you have said so!

I do not know about Pioneer nor have expressed an opinion on them. I'm just reporting what a few have said on the other thread.

I have not got a duff set. It does most things fine. Just SD rubbish. It seems that 50% of people on the other thread are reporting a similarly soft picture. I wonder about enthusiasts on these sort of forums. Fanboys, without objectivity I believe some of them are called.

Last edited:
so can someone give me an unbiased view on the G10/V10 against the sony Z series when it comes to motion especially the panning across the screen.

I have not been to anywhere that has both hooked up

so can someone give me an unbiased view on the G10/V10 against the sony Z series when it comes to motion especially the panning across the screen.

I have not been to anywhere that has both hooked up

No problem at all with motion on the G10 just tun IFC off.:smashin:

Why should the poster disregard my comment and accept yours. Perhaps simply on the grounds that you have said so!

I do not know about Pioneer nor have expressed an opinion on them. I'm just reporting what a few have said on the other thread.

I have not got a duff set. It does most things fine. Just SD rubbish. It seems that 50% of people on the other thread are reporting a similarly soft picture. I wonder about enthusiasts on these sort of forums. Fanboys, without objectivity I believe some of them are called.

50%:confused:

Fanboys?Please read the independant reviews.

so should the amount of motion judder when panning be the same on both the G and V.

Confused now.

Like this one:

Well, if it was a cheap tv I wouldn't be concerned either, but this is the most expensive tv in its category and the cheaper ones (samsung and lg) seems to be doing a better job at deinterlacing and upscaling.
According to the same review, it shouldn't have the judder problem that the OP mentioned though, so maybe it was just poor settings on the demo tv.

Same review:
indeed, the TV's own built-in Digital Terrestrial tuner, will have to go through this lacklustre process. Perversely, I actually felt that the soft scaling helped Digital Terrestrial TV broadcasts.
Why? Well, these are sent out using the aged MPEG-2 codec at unfathomably low bit-rates, so are typically heavily softened (pre-filtered) prior to broadcast, anyway. So, the damage here is essentially minimal.

Broadcast quality?

50%:confused:

Fanboys?Please read the independant reviews.

Here is an independent professional review for you.

To quote:
"The Panasonic TX-P42G10 plasma TV does not deal with standard-def interlaced video signal (576i) very well at all, which is a shame because that’s how Freeview and Freesat SD broadcast signals are received by the television. Even though its video processing circuit cleaned up moving jagged edges very effectively (judging by the rotating wheel, bouncing bars and waving flag patterns in the HQV test disc), the TX-P42G10 fared poorly in the area of film-mode deinterlacing. It completely failed to detect and process 3:2 and (more pertinently for UK users) 2:2 cadences over 480i and 576i respectively, causing deinterlacing artefacts like moire and line twitter to rear their ugly heads in film-based material such as movies and American dramas.
Moreover, the Panasonic TX-P42G10 appeared to lose some resolution when converting 576i to 576p before upscaling the video signal to fit on its 1920 x 1080 panel."

Full review here
Panasonic TX-P42G10 / TX-P42G10B Review

Wish I had read that before I purchased!

Here is an independent professional review for you.

To quote:
"The Panasonic TX-P42G10 plasma TV does not deal with standard-def interlaced video signal (576i) very well at all, which is a shame because that's how Freeview and Freesat SD broadcast signals are received by the television. Even though its video processing circuit cleaned up moving jagged edges very effectively (judging by the rotating wheel, bouncing bars and waving flag patterns in the HQV test disc), the TX-P42G10 fared poorly in the area of film-mode deinterlacing. It completely failed to detect and process 3:2 and (more pertinently for UK users) 2:2 cadences over 480i and 576i respectively, causing deinterlacing artefacts like moire and line twitter to rear their ugly heads in film-based material such as movies and American dramas.
Moreover, the Panasonic TX-P42G10 appeared to lose some resolution when converting 576i to 576p before upscaling the video signal to fit on its 1920 x 1080 panel."
Full review here
Panasonic TX-P42G10 / TX-P42G10B Review

Wish I had read that before I purchased!

Same review:
Here's the bottom line: you should always try to send a progressive video signal (i.e. let your DVD player/ set-top box/ external video processor perform the deinterlacing) to the Panasonic TX-P42G10 plasma television if you wish to obtain the best standard definition picture quality possible.
But what if you have no choice but to watch 576i programmes, such as those from the inbuilt Freeview and Freesat tuners? All is not lost, for the Panasonic TX-P42G10's inky blacks, natural colours and excellent motion clarity are more than adequate to enthrall you and draw your attention away from its deficiencies. To combat the softness of SD images, you can either sprinkle in a dash of measured edge enhancement via the [Sharpness] control, or simply sit farther away from the screen (which renders any video processing/ compression artefacts less visible as well).

This goes for most flat panel technology.......

I believe this is what the Fan Boys have been telling you all along!

Last edited:
im not worried about the Sd picture, i will run the Sky through my Onkyo to upscale.

Im just interested in the motion judder when compared to the V10.

although sitting here in front of my old Sony V series, its real bad and i never noticed it before

From the same review.

"Nevertheless, if you can forgive Panasonic for omitting white balance and gamma controls from the UK variant, and the set’s subpar SD deinterlacing (which can be overcome by letting a competent external device do the job)".

Fact is the SD from the set is disappointing. I'm using my V+ box and it is still diappointing and poor through the aerial on Freeview. I'm getting a Denon receiver shortly and hopefully that will help. Fact is the set just does not do SD very well. Which has been my point all along.

From the same review.

"Nevertheless, if you can forgive Panasonic for omitting white balance and gamma controls from the UK variant, and the set’s subpar SD deinterlacing (which can be overcome by letting a competent external device do the job)".

Fact is the SD from the set is disappointing. I'm using my V+ box and it is still diappointing and poor through the aerial on Freeview. I'm getting a Denon receiver shortly and hopefully that will help. Fact is the set just does not do SD very well. Which has been my point all along.

Just of the top of my head trying to think of another flat panel that can do better with the internal tuner and the broadcasts we get at the moment.................nope can't think of any.:)

Just of the top of my head trying to think of another flat panel that can do better with the internal tuner and the broadcasts we get at the moment.................nope can't think of any.:)
Yes well that remains to be seen. For a set to replace the G10 in late Nov or early Dec I'll be doing some reading and some demonstrations.

Yes well that remains to be seen. For a set to replace the G10 in late Nov or early Dec I'll be doing some reading and some demonstrations.
By the way the Denons as you all ready know are superb recievers and i am very jealous,hope it helps.:thumbsup:

im not worried about the Sd picture, i will run the Sky through my Onkyo to upscale.

Im just interested in the motion judder when compared to the V10.

although sitting here in front of my old Sony V series, its real bad and i never noticed it before

There is a clear difference between V10 and G10. V10 has so called smooth film feature and G10 does not. When V10 has smooth film feature on there is considerably less motion judder on it than on G10. Some viewers don't like the effect it creates but many prefer it.

I have to say I was killing time the other day and popped into a local store and they had the V and G next to each other, the G looked really poor with motion compared to the V. I went in and checked IFC but it was off.

The difference between the two was not subtle.

I really like the picture on the G10, even with SD - but I can't do anything to make the motion handling acceptable (IFC makes virtually no difference either way). To my eyes it's really poor. Specifically panning shots. I'm now peed off to hear that the V 10 is better because I'd have bought that instead. However, there have been people on the V10 owner's thread moaning about the motion handling too. I'm sitting here right now watching a Samsung plasma in the common room at work and the motion handling is significantly better IMO. The Sammy is inferior in it's blacks though.

I think it's just something weired about how the G10 handles motion that some people notice and the majority don't.

Last edited:
i only noticed it on panning and not normal motion. The V was a bit sharper aswell but not enough to make a difference.

shame they dont make a 46" as that would suit my budget perfectably, think i will wait till they are more available and come down to the £1300 price range

The other day I was looking at an LG 50PS8000, before arriving I told my 10 years old son than he should be expecting a very bad picture from terrestrial tv on a 50" set.
Guess what? The lg was showing a channel with a very low bitrate and the image was very good and not soft at all. The same programme was crap on the panasonic.

I went to look at an LG plasma before I bought my G10 and though the picture looked good, I was put off by the image retention that I could see on it. I'm not sure if the very latest LGs are better in this regard though.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom