I just want a small bit of advice on home cinema systems

crazyshady

This is something i have been thinking about for a while now and have only just decided to pursue it further. I was looking at lot of cinema packages and i notice a lot of them say 1080p upscaling but they also include DVD players. So does that mean the picture on the video or the audio? For instance right now i have a 42" TV and PS3 and Sky+HD. Does that mean if i was using the DVD player it would just be upscaled or do they mean i wont be getting full HD audio, it will just be upscaled audio? What should i be looking for when i am reading about cinema systems?

Also just one other small thing. I notice a lot of these packages come with DVD players and i don't really want that since i wouldn't use it. I use my PS3. My TV does have a lot of connections at the back, could i not just plug the speakers directly into the back of my TV or does that mean i wont be able to get the best sound since it is phono connections? I don't really have the money to buy an amp and then a separate speaker package so i have to say i was looking at systems at the cheaper end of the scale. If it's not gonna benefit me in any way then i'd rather just leave it until i can afford a better system. Obviously any kind of sound system will be better than my TV speakers but if i can't get the benefit from my blu rays or HD programs on TV then i will just leave it for now.

alchemistkevin

This is something i have been thinking about for a while now and have only just decided to pursue it further. I was looking at lot of cinema packages and i notice a lot of them say 1080p upscaling but they also include DVD players. So does that mean the picture on the video or the audio? For instance right now i have a 42" TV and PS3 and Sky+HD. Does that mean if i was using the DVD player it would just be upscaled or do they mean i wont be getting full HD audio, it will just be upscaled audio? What should i be looking for when i am reading about cinema systems?
As far as Audio is concerned you'll need an amp that can decode HD Audio - the common high-street DVD systems with 5.1 speakers you're talking about wouldn't do so.

Your TV, if it's a 1080p or a 720p panel would upscale the video anyways. If you're buying a DVD home cinema system, you don't need to worry about this.

Also just one other small thing. I notice a lot of these packages come with DVD players and i don't really want that since i wouldn't use it. I use my PS3. My TV does have a lot of connections at the back, could i not just plug the speakers directly into the back of my TV or does that mean i wont be able to get the best sound since it is phono connections? I don't really have the money to buy an amp and then a separate speaker package so i have to say i was looking at systems at the cheaper end of the scale. If it's not gonna benefit me in any way then i'd rather just leave it until i can afford a better system. Obviously any kind of sound system will be better than my TV speakers but if i can't get the benefit from my blu rays or HD programs on TV then i will just leave it for now.
If you've got a PS3 - and you don't want to spend a lot of money - then I'd suggest buying something like this: Onkyo HTS3305 Black | 5.1 Package System with HDMI inc. Speakers exc. DVD player | Richer Sounds

Doesn't cost a lot and will give you better sound than any home cinema systems at/under this price range.

Shoot if you got any more questions.

alchemistkevin

I like it, one of my mates just upgraded from an all-in-one system to this and it's so much better for not a lot more.

However, Pixmania don't seem to have this in stock (price-bait?) and charge £30 for delivery. + if you had problems you'll have to send it to France or wherever...

If you like this - try and find a local dealer/amazon, etc with lower price but even at £299 it's a very very good value for money system.

You could, also, look at classifieds for used-kit (better value for money generally)

Top Bottom