1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Just Received The Lion King Boxset from DVD Soon!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by michaelm, Sep 30, 2003.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm amazed. Over 2 weeks to the release date. :eek:

Now to the contents.

The set came packaged in the usual DVD Soon cardboard box, resplendant with the company's logo on the label. When will DVD Soon learn that this is an open invitation to thieving posties and deliverymen. Thank God I didn't fall to prey to either (this time). The actual boxset was packed with big bubble wrap and had no shipping damage whatsoever.

The box itself is superb, in black and copper with gold leaf. The movie is packed in a gatefold outer sleeve, much like the Beauty And The Beast Special Edition, with a double Amaray style plastic case inside. The cover is in English and with the ubiquitous Disney "Version Francais Incluse" legend. There is a gorgeous black box housing the framed character portraits, 9 in all, along with a framed certificate of authenticity. These alone are worth the purchase price.

Finally, the hardback book detailing prduction of the movie and dvd. A collectors' item in it's own right, colourful, detailed and sturdy. This set is one you shouldn't let the kids get their grubby little mitts on.

I'm not going to go into detail as to the content of the discs, but I had one major disappointment. The theme tune, The Circle Of Life, is a re-recorded version and is nowhere near as good as the original. I was also disappointed that Rowan Atkinson does not reprise his role as Zazu on the menu. This, however, is a minor gripe.

I'm in the middle of getting a dedicated home cinema built, so I'm only watching on my 32" Tosh DD Widescreen at the minute, but this is one I'll certainly be demoing when I finally open for business.

At around £18 delivered, the bargain of a lifetime. Well done DVD Soon.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many pages is the book? Is it "Lion King" complete story book, or just pictures etc?

Are the portraits actually signed by ball-pen or just printed signature?

Is the boxset Limited Edition? (number somewhere) or just mass produced?

3. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The book has 160 high quality glossy pages, and features notes from Don Hahn, producer, and contributions from various others involved in making the movie, through the Broadway Musical production and on to the dvd production. It finishes with the Lion King story in traditional storybook format. It features superb artwork on every page, including matte drawings, posters etc.

The prints are lithographic reproductions and are interpretations of the characters by their animators. The signatures are also copies.

The boxset, although not individually numbered, has a sticker on the cellophane wrapper stating "Limited Supply".

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Circle of Life isn't the original? I don't get it, why not?

5. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No idea. There's no explanation. The singer's voice just lacks the power of the original.

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mine arrived this morning - WOW - what a boxset! Absolutely gorgeous quality... Most DVD boxsets seem to be v.expensive for no real reason, but in this case I would say it was worth a lot more than it cost - the prints and the book alone are worth more than the rrp without the DVD!

Great stuff Disney! :clap: (I wish they would do more speciel editions)

7. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Guys is this different to the one in cd-wow?...do they do the boxset? or is this special because it comes with the book and pictures?:rolleyes: :blush:

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't know - which one is in cd-wow?

This is the standard dvd with the book and pictures.

9. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    mine is still missing.