I just purchased an imported JVC HM-DH30000U HDTV vcr

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Sharp Shard, Aug 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Sharp Shard

Sharp Shard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

The vcr is a 110v american machine and it has not arrived here yet but I am in need of some answers so that I can be set-up and ready to use it when it arrives.

My questions are as follows:

Does anyone here own this model? If so does it record PAL broadcasts without the need for a Digital Video Standards Converter box?

If you are using a converter, which model is it and what are your impressions of the image you get from it?

If I have to, I am thinking of purchasing a CDM830 Digi convertorr. Is this a good machine or is there still picture degredation from a source such as digital tv?

Any answers which help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S.S

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

There are a number of people (check out the HiDef TV forum) who use the JVC30/40K and other models to play back HiDef D-Theatre tapes (limited availablity from the US). For regular recordings (non-HiDef) it will only record in ntsc so you would need to get a pal/ntsc converter to do that. I suspect the recordings (after conversion) would not be very clever and that you'd be better off buying a s-vhs machine for PAL material.

Brian

3. Sharp Shard

Sharp Shard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers, I've asked a few people in PM the same thing. All answers come back negative :(

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Sorry, I didn't want to sound 'negative' about it. There is nothing to stop you using a pal/ntsc converter with the JVC 30K, I just don't think that it would be a sensible option for the best picture quality if you want to record PAL material.

Someone sold one of these on the classifieds here not so long ago for about £160. I'd have bought it at that price ! ... but I missed it .... I'm sure if you want to sell it on, someone will take it off your hands

Can I ask why you bought a US model ? If you're going to use it to transfer US vhs tapes to dvd, then it's a good option for the appropriate (ntsc) playback. Alternately, if you have a HiDef display (plasma or lcd/dlp projector) you can try to pick up some D-Theater tapes for it

Brian

5. Sharp Shard

Sharp Shard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm shocked at £160 for the machine! Very depressing news that! I'm going to sell my machine on I think as I don't have much interest in d-theater

Do you know how much JVC HM-DR10000EK's- PAL go for these days if my machine is so cheap? I found this site too late...Guess I paid the price for it. Live and learn eh?

6. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi SS,

I have two JVC 10k machines. I bought my first one for £750 in 2001 years and I picked up the second one (new from a dealer) as a spare for £300 a couple of months ago.

The main disadvantage of a D-vhs machine is that you have no way of playing your tapes if your machine dies. Thre aren't likely to be any new ones coming along in PAL areas. I did hear a suggestion (somewhere) that a US 30/40K model would play PAL material recorded on a 10k machine. However, I've never had that confirmed, and I suspect that it's not the case.

You might pick one up in the classified ads.

I have several hundred s-vhs tapes, so these machines extend the useful lifetime of the tapes. D-VHS still has some advantages over DVD recorders (e.g. extended recording times) but this is being eroded by the fact that no new machines have been produced since 2000 and that there has been no improvements to the encoder algorithms in this time.

There are probably some people interested in D-Theater playback on the forum although stocks of tapes seem to be drying up. I'd like a machine but there probably aren't many movies around. A couple of dealers (crt projectors) sell the more recent machines (JVC 40K and D5? models) for around £450.

Brian

7. Sharp Shard

Sharp Shard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow, thanks for the great reply, much appreciated. When you say a dealer do you mean a shop? If so, do they have anymore of the 10k's I'd be interested if this is the case.
    Cheers for the interesting reply. Quite a few things in that that I didn't know.

Thanks Again,

S.S

8. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi SS,

The unit that I picked up for £300 was the last one that the dealer (shop) had. However, there is one on e-bay at the moment, if you fancy that option. There was also a Philips machine on e-bay, which is basically the same model. There should be reviews of these two units in the HCC reviews section somewhere.

I used to know of another (new) one but the dealer wanted £750 for it. I'll make some enquiries and see what I can find out. I'll drop you a pm if I get any details.

Brian

9. Sharp Shard

Sharp Shard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yea, I know about the ebay ones..but people drive them up way above value :nono:

Since I found this site too late I am quite surprised by the 'real' prices of things. By any chance do you know any stockists/sellers of D-VHS blank tapes? And what price they offer?

Cheers again for all your help. Very welcoming and impressive board this!! :smashin:

10. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi SS,

I've just sent you a pm.

I don't know who has stocks of D-VHS tapes but the regular tape suppliers (TopTape and similar) seemed to have supplies the last time I looked.

You don't actually need D-VHS tapes as you can record digitally on a S-VHS tape. you just press a button on the front panel. I think that I own about 3 D-VHs tapes. The machine doesn't have an ET (?) mode so you can't record s-video onto a regular tape but you wouldn't want to do that anyway.

I've had problems with my original machine "chewing" tapes. Hopefully, that problem seems to have been (finally) resolved.

Brian

11. Sharp Shard

Sharp Shard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    top tape! I'll give them a try. I'm assuming that's a website?

I'll get my DVHS set-up sorted soon I hope!

12. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi SS,

I can't seem to find Top Tape on the web .... perhaps they don't exist anymore.
    Have a look in What Video, HCC or a comcorder mag and look for blank tape suppliers.

A good quality s-vhs tape from one of the main manufacturers (TDK, Maxell, JVC) should do the job nicely. You don't get many 'lower' cost/quality s-video tapes in the UK. Their may be some concerns about the performance of cheap tapes in the US but that shouldn't be a problem here in the UK.

Brian.

13. Sharp Shard

Sharp Shard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thought as much as SVHS still costs a bomb in the UK. I can only find one retailer for blank DVHS.. is the format THAT dead?