1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just need a FAQ please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RedRose, Jan 30, 2002.

1. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just joined up today after browsing for several weeks. This really is a superbly active and interesting forum. I have learnt a hell of a lot and I'm ready to plunge except..

I'm a bit confused about the 480i, 480p, 720i etc.etc. Is there a FAQ which will demistify the PAL vs. NTSC, 3:2 pulldown malarky? It seems that most of these pjs are built with NeverTwiceSameColour in mind. Will a 800x600 pixel pj show all lines produced by a DVD without scaling. If so, does 1024x768 give any advantage other than less pixelisation? I'm sure these questions come up regularly, if there is such a FAQ I would be grateful for a pointer. Thanks.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Redrose
    Welcome on board, like you, there are hundreds of people waiting for some one to ask "that" certain question. The regualar posters to an extent sit here waiting for a question to be asked.

At the top of this page "Offical forums of" choose the Progressive Scan option, this is an excelent site about video and progressive scan and I think it explains most things.

As regards a FAQ page this goes back to real basics. AV 101 questions I'm sure others will help here too.

To answer your resoloution question depends from projector to projector. the lower resoloution devices do not have to make as many calculations to get the picture to fit their pannels but may suffer from showing the actual structure of the pannel on screen. the higher resoloution devices can have problems in the pictures because of the amount of work they have to do to get the dots (pixels) to match.

The advice as always is go and see as many projectors as possible (making sure you see the same projector at least twice in differnt places to show how much differnce there is in set up.)

Buy a disk specifically for testing projectors which has some really good colour, detail, dark and bright scenes and insist on seeing the same chapter from your disk on every projector you audition.

If they try to just show you cartoon material run from the shop screaming.

Word of warning once you have found your perfect projector - never, ever look at another model untill you have sufficient funds to upgrade.

I wish you luck in your quest

3. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Roland

Unfortunately the Progressive Scan link returns a "Access Forbidden to this Server" message when I try it.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Stuart!