I just got a LG DNX190UH..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by deltatri360, Jun 23, 2006.

1. deltatri360

deltatri360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was part of an exchange in currys, i basically had to grab something else in my lunch break and run.

Has anybody got any opinions on this player? Ill be using it with the new samsung le40r73 and thus will have it through HDMI.

Is it normal for a HDMI player to only display in 1080i?

2. PinnerFox

PinnerFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should play 720p also as well as 576p which I believe is just PAL played progressively.

I'd be interested to know what difference you actually see when switching the above.

From my limited experience (not with your LG) 576p looks about as good as 720p maybe 1080 looks slightly more detailed but not much.:)

I am told that the LCD TVs re-scale the picture as well so just using 576p is often all you need to do.

3. deltatri360

deltatri360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am i going to see a good increase in picture quality using HDMI as at the moment im playing dvd's through a xbox360 with standard component leads.

Ive only got pal dvd's so do tehy not play at 720p/1080i?

4. flipside

flipside
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi i have one :) but i cant be much help though no HDMI tv as yet :( so im really just butting in here .

I like it as a player though build quality is a little low.

There is a Multiregion hack for it now

Turn on the TV/Dvd player
    press 0000
    select region in the menu displayed on teh TV 0 for multiregion.

Thats all really oh and im trying to get it to recognise and play back from an external HDD ive got it to see both an ipod and a 6gb hdd but it wont read from them though other players with the Zoran chipset seem to be able to do this.

5. deltatri360

deltatri360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

cheers, i want to use my ipod nano with it so this is a little worrying, tell me (as its sitting in the back of my car) does it come with a HDMI cable, or is that extra?

6. flipside

flipside
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The nano might work as its properly flash based rather than HDD and yes it does come with an HDMI cable which was a shock to both me and the man in currys :)

7. cprelot

cprelot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I bought the LG DNX 190UH! And I've plug to a HD Projector!
    I setting up the upscale to 720p and 1080i witch I haven't see any difference btw overall it's a bit sharper than the Component video but that’s all about it

It’s a crap DVD Player :thumbsdow , very noisy
    Picture quality and colour contrast is horrible compare to some other upscale DVD Player
    You can't play a whole full Dvix movie, without have the movie stops every 5 frames!
    I don't recommend buying that one...

8. deltatri360

deltatri360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, its going back to the shop today, as it makes everything even darker, I can barely tell the difference between the normal and high rez playback.
    It feels cheap than a cheaper thing, and at £90 it shouldnt be.

Avoid!

9. flipside

flipside
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    interesting as im not haveing the same problem then like i said mines not plugged into a HD set as yet but on the scart everyting is sweet

10. deltatri360

deltatri360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its pure **** when connected via HDMI thats for sure, colours are drained out completely, and running it through scart defeats the purpose of it really.

I got it back to currys somehow, the cheeky ****s charged me 10% to take it back, even tho they practivcally forced me to buy it as they couldnt get the samsung one. I seriously now am never going back to them.

11. flipside

flipside
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes i see your point though for me the reason for trying it was the divx / usb playback is supposedly more compatible, the HDMI upscaling was to be an added bonus when i get the right tele though now it seems that wont be the case :(. Well i'll stick with it for now and see what occurs.

Nice one by currys nothing like helping out your customers good luck in the hunt

12. deltatri360

deltatri360
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had thought it may be the cheap HDMI cable that comes with the system, but i wasnt prepared to put down another £20 to find out. Prob depends on the telly too, I was using a Samsung LE40R73.

13. flipside

flipside
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    poss but if cprelot is saying the same im not hopefull:confused: im going to see if i can arrange a viewing with this and the 5960 just to see if i can play spot the difference, Have either of you reported this issue to LG on the off chance that they may release a firmware update for us suckers keeping the player :thumbsup: