• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I just broke 900 in my DVD collection

Backspace

Today I picked two DVDs, one the Tudors First Season and a movie, August from the thrift store. Stopped at Walmart for a few things and snagged a movie, Escape Plan from a $3.84 bin. Put em in the database I see 901 as total discs (not movies as some has two on one).

I don't list TV shows on this database but a text file with the list.

Screenshot (246).png

Backspace

It's those round plastic thingies. :D

Backspace

I wanted to hit 1000 but I'm not buying DVDs just for the sake of collection but to watch and add to my library. I have lots of movies that probably will never be seen on TV and lots that's never shown on TV.

Maybe you'll see them on subscription TV but not OTA and that's what I have.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I clicked this thinking how does someone break 900 DVDs...

Welcome to 20 years ago :D I have clocking on 5000 of the dust collecting things which I'll be Frankensteining* soon.

*Buying BD insert trays and making homebrew double play editions. Freeing up some much needed shelf space.

Ronnie3067

Distinguished Member
I clicked this thinking how does someone break 900 DVDs...

Welcome to 20 years ago :D I have clocking on 5000 of the dust collecting things which I'll be Frankensteining* soon.

*Buying BD insert trays and making homebrew double play editions. Freeing up some much needed shelf space.
I was doing the same until I realised I was never going to watch the DVD again so ended up giving them away to people which was harder than I thought then donating the rest to local charity shops although some refused them as they don't sell and just sit on the shelves.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I have several 'tiers' of categories. From favourite directors to 'fillers'. The fillers I'm going to stick in a CD flight case. Criterions, Disney, Ghibli, Anchor Bay, Blue Underground and LEs I'll be keeping the DVDs but the rest will end up Frankensteined or in flight cases.

AVFAndy

don't be sure.

900 dvds - it would take nearly 3 years to re-watch all of them if you watched 1 a day.

then you've got to factor in new DVDs / content you'll want to watch.

i've been there. trust me; most don't get played again.

as much as i enjoyed collecting dvds (and blu-rays) i regret spending so much on them now. there's not enough time to watch all of them again. so value per disc is shot. and re-sell value is almost nothing.

Backspace

I have no problem with some not being watched ever again. My tastes changes and I've got rid of bunches at times. Most of what I have now are the ones I held back and right now I have about 60+ (new) DVD movies I haven't watched yet.

I found a gold mine at the thrift store. I found quite a few movies and a box full of TV seasons. At 50 cents per DVD each it was an easy buy. Some are 4-6-8 disk sets.

I am disabled and I'm at home all the time so I have time. I picked up a DVD player at Walmart today in case my old player/recorder take a crap. I also have a VCR/DVD combo that the VCR quit working but the DVD was never used. It may still work.

I don't care about resale.

brian s

Distinguished Member
You're in the same place as many of us. It's basically an addiction. I have loads of stuff on VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, DVD and Blu. Well over the 1,000 mark . Factor in the stuff I have on my hard drive that I've recorded from tv which I'm to reluctant to delete. It starts to get really absurd. I'm getting on a bit and I had my first dice with death a few years ago. There's no way I'm going to rewatch much of my collection before I die.

Bri

Last edited:

Backspace

I also have some movie downloads and I kept those that I found the subtitles for.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I also have some movie downloads and I kept those that I found the subtitles for.

Ah I think I saw another thread from you. I gather you're hard of hearing. I had cancer and was warned the treatment might affect my hearing. I think I largely got away with it that way but every now and again I have problems. I only use subtitles for foreign language films though.

Bri

Backspace

That's correct. In my youth I couldn't hear worth a plug even when I wore hearing aids. As I got older my hearing improved where I have more understanding of what was said but still have to wear hearing aids and have holes in the frequency ranges. Because of that I'll miss out some words and some vocal ranges.

I can hear one person well and can't hear another because of their vocal tonal range.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
That's correct. In my youth I couldn't hear worth a plug even when I wore hearing aids. As I got older my hearing improved where I have more understanding of what was said but still have to wear hearing aids and have holes in the frequency ranges. Because of that I'll miss out some words and some vocal ranges.

I can hear one person well and can't hear another because of their vocal tonal range.
Out of interest before DVDs came out, what did you do about subtitles? Did they make VHS tapes with subtitles?

Backspace

No, I missed out a lot, I might as well be deaf then. I watched for the video.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Did you ever get into Laserdisc? As I recall most/all of the US discs had the closed caption subtitle option. On UK tv we had teletext which gave subtitles as well as news, weather and loads of other stuff. I found I could still access these pages on my Super VHS recordings. The information was a bit corrupted but I think it would have probably managed the simpler CC system.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom