I Just bought a New Plasma......

Spursman

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided to buy a new TV. I moved my old Samsung 50inc into the bedroom and got a SAMSUNG Series 5 PS60E530 60" Plasma TV.

Unfortunately the screen is being replaced becuase of loud buzzing. I know all plasmas buzz but this one was particularly bad espcecially when playing ps3. Was very annoying and noticiable so asked for an exchange from Currys.

I also have noticed this TV has a dirty screen effect. I watch allot of football and play pro evo so my screen is green allot of the time.

This is an "example" i found online as to what i mean. (not my screen)

dse-auf-47lw659s_119454.jpg

Its quite noticeable and i don't like it. My 50inc samsung doesn't have this problem.

I remember a few years ago i bought an LG 50inc and it had the same problem.

Do all Plasmas have this? Does it reduce over time?

Thanks

Last edited:
Bloody hell that's bad. People on the VT and GT 50 Panasonic threads are moaning about banding seen on some screens and that's usually a single line.

Yes it's poor screen uniformity. It's partly down to manufacturing etc. some screens are much better than others.

You WILL get this on LCD too as well as backlight bleed.

So you will never win.

yeh i saw that thread and wondered if thats what they meant. The pic is just an example. i will try and capture a picture tomorrow or the real thing.

Certainly makes a difference to buy from a local store rather than online. You may get a cheaper price but its so much easier to deal with should something go wrong.

I cant quite get a picture to show the dirty screen effect on my plasma.

DSE is very common on plasma but in reality it only surfaces on panning shots with light back grounds.

It's a trait of the technology & not a fault with your new tv, some people notice more than others.

aandpwoodley said:
DSE is very common on plasma but in reality it only surfaces on panning shots with light back grounds.

It's a trait of the technology & not a fault with your new tv, some people notice more than others.

And yet it never used to be a problem on plasmas. Screen uniformity was one of the main reasons I moved over to plasma from LCD.

And yet it never used to be a problem on plasmas. Screen uniformity was one of the main reasons I moved over to plasma from LCD.

It's always been a problem, the Pioneers screens probably suffered from it the most but didn't stop them be regarded as the best TV's of their time

Can notice it especially when watching football and playing pro Evo. It's like the grass is dirty.

Screen uniformity has an never will be perfect but it should be better than LCD.
If you go and demo a set take some green slides with you and you can see for yourself. Photos can make things look worse than they are but if that set in the picturellooks like that in real life Id not be happy myself.

aandpwoodley said:
It's always been a problem, the Pioneers screens probably suffered from it the most but didn't stop them be regarded as the best TV's of their time

It was never a problem on Panasonic plasmas prior to the 30 series.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom