• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I just been offered a Council Flat...

... and it couldn't of come at a better time It's going to be a saving of over half of what I'm paying now! It's also nearer work - Am so excited!

:)

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Putting the savings into the 22.2 system?
Congrats, I hope you enjoy it.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
OMG your claiming for a council house while you are still in work!! *** OMG JHC disgusting horrendous obscene, i dont pay my taxes so you can..................

Can't believe the lefties here haven't posted yet!!

Congrats and get saving hard and good, next year is going to be super tough for all (who are looking for and in work - upto the 50% tax bracket).

BB

OMG your claiming for a council house while you are still in work!! *** OMG JHC disgusting horrendous obscene, i dont pay my taxes so you can..................

It's funny how many people think that you only get a council property if you're on benefits...lol

Sartios

Banned
It's funny how many people think that you only get a council property if you're on benefits...lol

But if you have been "offered" it, surely it was offered from the council? because you are on benefits etc? you must of applied for a council housing to get offered one.

Usually when you get offered a council property it's because of those reasons, it's not like your local estate agent pops round and offers you a property etc..

Apologies if I'm way off.

Last edited:

Inked

Distinguished Member
starkill3r said:
But if you have been "offered" it, surely it was offered from the council? because you are on benefits etc? you must of applied for a council housing to get offered one.

Usually when you get offered a council property it's because of those reasons, it's not like your local estate agent pops round and offers you a property etc..

Apologies if I'm way off.

Don't need to be on benefits at all, I put my name on the council list when I hit 18, was offered a couple of bedsits at 25 which I turned down, was then passed over to a housing association who offered me a proper 1 bed flat. I was in full time employment the whole time.

Sartios

Banned
Don't need to be on benefits at all, I put my name on the council list when I hit 18, was offered a couple of bedsits at 25 which I turned down, was then passed over to a housing association who offered me a proper 1 bed flat. I was in full time employment the whole time.

Ahh fair enough, I thought I was wrong, I didn't know you could apply for council housing without being on benefits.

Thanks

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Ahh fair enough, I thought I was wrong, I didn't know you could apply for council housing without being on benefits.

Thanks

That's unreal and also the amount of others that think that same way, both my partner my son (he does not count as he is 2) and i have jobs and we have a council house.

Last edited:
Everyone has a right to affordable housing, I've been on the list for 8 years and because I changed from needing a two bed place to a one bed place I got offered one after bidding on 1bed places for last few months.

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
No you do not have to be on benefits to be accepted into council housing.

I worked since leaving school, my first flat was private, the next council run.

Then moved into council house 2 years later bought it, I've now moved out though due to splitting up with childhood sweetheart... and currently renting again which is costing me an arm and a leg each month

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Everyone has a right to affordable housing, I've been on the list for 8 years and because I changed from needing a two bed place to a one bed place I got offered one after bidding on 1bed places for last few months.

Nice to see that your council do that bid thing too, took us 3 years and my partner to have our son before we got anywhere, ours is not actually council anymore its now a housing trust has been since April this year they sold it off to the housing trust but that housing trust was a department in the council beforehand.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
... and it couldn't of come at a better time It's going to be a saving of over half of what I'm paying now! It's also nearer work - Am so excited!

:)
absolutely excellent Hope you enjoy living there A friend of my wife has lived in one for over 20 years. Reasonable rent and the council look after the building well

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
i lived on a council estate for nigh 15 years and i can certainly say the vast majority of my neighbours were working people

I think years ago you had to be working and someone would have to give you a reference to get into social housing :thumbsup:

It was set up for those coming back from the war who needed affordable housing ... Then the vicky pollards got wind of it and started popping out the kids to get higher up the list hence why most presume you have to be in reciept of benefits to get one.

SBT

Banned
I grew up on a council estate in the 70's.The way i remember it was it was all familys and the dads went out to work.I can see how poeple would think you have to be on benefits,due to the amount of single mothers that seem live in council flats/houses.

SixNineFourSixSeven

Prominent Member
i live in a 2 bedroom terraced house with my partner and daughter. I'm on £28000 pa & my Partner is on £16500 pa. We were on the housing list for 1 year before we were offered were we are now.
Our problem is we can afford a to pay for a house every month but we can't get a deposit to start the ball rolling.
We have now effectively cut our rent in half, gone from paying £600 pm (private) to £312pm but have to live with a bunch of **** heads who seem to want to have a house party every friday night which like clockwork at 0200 ends up in a load of shouting and fighting on the street outside.
We also had a Joyrider smash into a lampost and then into 2 parked cars on the street next to us.
i can live with it for 5 years while we save up for a decent deposit.

Penfold1

Established Member
Council housing was originally designed for those in work, predominantly the traditional working classes. Then in the 70's legislation came in which changed the priority to 'need'. From then it's been a race to the bottom which is why it's not as surprising as it should be, that some people do believe you have to be on benefits to qualify for council/social housing.

There was an excellent programme on the BBC a couple of months ago, which described the history of social housing. After watching it I realised that the needs based system was almost as damaging as right to buy, which caused the selling off of most of the best council housing stock, never to be replaced.

I'll stop now as this topic would deserve a separate thread. Congratulations and best of luck in your new home:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom