1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hope this is not a stupid question.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bill1962, Jan 21, 2002.

1. bill1962

bill1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I am going down the 50hz road with my new TV, I do prefer the picture on the 50hz LS35 Sony over the 100hz FX65.

Now my question,
    I remember somebody telling me once that I should not buy a 50hz TV, because in the future ******* is going to happen. Sorry I cant remember what he said, must be getting old.

Does anybody know of any reason why I should not buy 50hz, because of something that will happen in the future. Are these 50hz sets going to become obsolete? Will TV be transmitted in 100hz or am I, just sounding like the novice that I am.

Thanks,

Bill

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nothing will happen to affect 50Hz televisions which is why I have recently bought one.

3. bill1962

bill1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian,

At last, I cant believe it I now know what TV I am going to buy.
    Its just getting the best deal now. I wish TV's were as cheap here as they are in the UK.

I am going to buy it on Friday.
    The Sony KV32LS35 for IRL£1079.

Cant wait,

Bill

4. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't beleive you asked a question, and then took the opinion of a single person as the OK to go and spend a grand on a telly, without seeing if he is right or wrong, or doing some more research!!!! That's trust for you!

However, I would also agree with Ian that there is no reason whatsoever not to buy a 50hz set, other than the faintest slightest most remote possibility you might notice some flicker, and that you won't get those lovely smearing effects that everyone loves!

Let us know how you get on with the TV, as that's also on my shortlist to buy.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I recently bought a 100Hz TV and have no regrets what so ever.
    I could never go back to 50Hz and I used to be one of those
    'anti 100Hz type'.

Once you get used to the quality and sheer stabilty of a 100Hz pic you certainly notice the flicker more on a 50Hz set.

Don't be too hasty in your choice, have a look around until you see a 100Hz set that you like.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,257
    Bill...where did you get the LS35 from in the end??

7. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get the LS35 in the end? I'd be interested to here what the picture geometry was like - see my 'Another Sony misery story' thread.

Sim

8. bill1962

bill1962

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont really know what to say about the geometry, I dont know how to tell. I am a total novice when it comes to these things. Maybe its a good thing in that I wont notice I have this problem.
    All I can say is that I find the picture fantastic. It looks brill playing Independence day.

MJN, would you believe Arnotts gave me the best price?

9. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can't tell I guess it must be ok!

Mine was bent horizontally (i.e. the whole picture drooped down towards the edges), in 14:9 and 4:3 mode the vertical sides were bent in by about 1cm or in the middle, vertical lines towards the middle of the screen were bent the other way. Very poor.