I hope I will not damage my BD system

KristapsONE

Novice Member
I'm new to the forum, so forgive me, if something similar has been discussed before..

Long story (short story below)
About 8 years ago, I had a great, high-quality Philips DVD system. By high quality I mean the speakers were really up to the task producing clear high tones, 'grunty' mid's and fat basses. You could tell that even by lifting them, because without stands (speakers alone), they were pretty heavy. Well, I don't consider myself as a super professional sound guy, but I love music, played some musical instruments before and have been lucky enough to experience some really hi-end sound stuff.
Anyways there was only one flaw with my DVD- it didn't have any input to produce 5.1. Yes, it was able to do that from DVD, but not from any auxiliary source. One day I was browsing the local electronics store and I saw this reasonably priced SONY BDV-E690 system. I asked about all the functions, on paper system looked really fine. So there came my stupid hot-headed idea to just trust seller dude's sweet talk and go for it never checking internet reviews and so.
I came home and started to unpack things. The first thing I noticed was how light the speakers were and then came the first anxiety/fear for that I've bought some cheap branded s*** (sorry, no other word to describe).... I know I know, in this price range sony is for basic 5.1 needs, bla bla bla... i know that. It's just when I was standing in the shop, I led myself (I hoped) in believing, that more modern system will overrule all old ones. Of course - boy was I wrong. This rule does not apply to speakers (mostly). I should have known that old 1990s JBL's in a good condition will still be up to the task, even in 2020.
So I started listening to the new system and right away felt stupid, because music sounded bad, like, china bad, china in a barrel bad. But I at least got my 5.1 aux inputs. Yaay*! :) *sarcasm
My other family members doesn't get me. To them, system sounds o.k. . But for me, it brings almost tears out when I try to listen to f.e. Tommy Emmanuel (he plays guitar like, just wow) and it is just plain sound. I really missed the feeling when You can not only feel the music but also start hearing some tiny tiny details, which you didn't know existed until you played the piece on the real system. One day I decided enough is enough and remembered, that in my storage I had some speakers, decided to go take a look. I found 3 units, that wasn't, like, Burmester or nothing, but decent enough quality-wise: heavy, with extra tweeters etc. So I went and upgraded my centre speaker and both front speakers. But new front LR speakers are bigger (about 5 times). Question - I need some technical advice -
Given the fact that you know my current SONY system, can I upgrade my front speakers to these larger ones? Like, I know that they will not get louder or anything, its just the new speakers has tweeters and that is what I was looking for - to get clearer, more balanced sound.
I tested the new system and everything seems to be working really fine, no distortions or cutouts whatsoever. The sound improved drastically.
New speakers are from some old (but good) cd player, 3 way, 100w 8ohm. But, could they damage my BD DVD system in time because of the size?

Sorry for the long story, just wanted to 'vent'

Short story
I have a Sony BDV-E690 System.
I exchanged both front tower speakers from original small size to 2x 100w 8 Ohms speakers, because new speakers has lows+mids+tweeters for much improved, clearer sound. (I aim for sound clarity and it worked! ). I changed to these speakers because they were just laying around BTW.

Will I damage my BD system by doing this?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I tried to look up that system, it looks like it was released about 8 yrs ago. Have you just bought it as new from a shop?

You need an av receiver to do what you want really. You can get them used if you don’t have a huge budget. Your current system has no real power ratings I can find but I suspect it will be underpowered with any half decent speakers.

KristapsONE

Novice Member
@swiftpete
firstly, thanks for replying

Right now, regarding volume, it is the same as it was- enough for me. Only now there is clearer midtones and highs, which is a pleasing fact.
the main question remains - if I throw out stock 3 ohm speaker and swap it with 100w 8ohm speaker - does it damage the main unit at all?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
No, it won't damage the main unit, but it will be a lot quieter, as the amp is designed to drive lower impedance speakers - which need less voltage to achieve the same level of power. So long as you can turn the other speakers down to match and are happy with a significant reduction in power, all should be good.

KristapsONE

Novice Member
@swiftpete
firstly, thanks for replying

Right now, regarding volume, it is the same as it was- enough for me. Only now there is clearer midtones and highs, which is a pleasing fact.
the main question remains - if I throw out stock 3 ohm speaker and swap it with 100w 8ohm speaker - does it damage the main unit at all?
the speaker model is ss-tsb119
No, it won't damage the main unit, but it will be a lot quieter, as the amp is designed to drive lower impedance speakers - which need less voltage to achieve the same level of power. So long as you can turn the other speakers down to match and are happy with a significant reduction in power, all should be good.
Thanks for the assurance. Actually, it's interesting, but they do sound the same (volume wise). Tried to watch some intense-effect 5.1 movies and everything is loud and rich. Surprisingly.

Good luck to all!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom