I hearby swear I will never buy another PC again

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,949
    Only installed Windows 7 from scratch about a month ago.
    Now with corrupted Windows 7 drivers, I have to do it all over again.
    So I'm buying a 2.6, 16Gb, 15" Retina Macbook Pro.
    I need 2x StarTech.com Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter Cables to connect to my 2 DELL U711b monitors.
    But how then do I also connect to the wired network?

Also what external Blu-ray player / DVD recorder would people recommend?

I prefer not to install apps on my primary drive.
    What external 3/4 Tb external drive would people recommend? Can such a drive be used for Timecapsule and also to install all my apps?
    Will it be fast enough connected via USB? Or do I need to connect that via Thunderbolt also?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    You connect to your LAN in the same way as you'd connect via a PC, either via ethernet or via WiFi. Which you use depends on your requirements and current setup?

You can technically locate and run your applications from any locations or from an external drive, but it is highly recommended that you don't and that you locate them within the Applications' folder or folders on your main system drive. Apple installed apps especially need to be kept in the applications folder.

Macs do not require drivers for attached drives, so you can use any external drive as long as it has an appropriate interface with which to connect it. USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt equipped external drives are all applicable options. In terms of speed then I'd suggest you look at USB 3 equipped drives rather than Thunderbolt drives. Thunderbolt is still relatively scarce and dictates a premium price when included with a device.

As with external hard drives, any brand of external BD drive will work with a Mac as long as it has the apropriate interface or interfaces. I use an LG BE12LU38. Note that if you want to watch Blu-ray film titles on a Mac then you'll also need additional software. You'll also need extra software to burn data to a Blu-ray disc.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  3. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    I could be way off here but the rMBP doesn't have Ethernet or Mini Display Ports.

Your options for running 2 displays and an ethernet connection are either 1xHDMI and 1xTB for displays, then the other TB for Ethernet (using relevant adapters)

Alternatively, both TB ports for the displays and USB for the Ethernet (again using relevant adapters).

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,949
    Thanks. Well presumably a wired network cable will be faster and more reliable.
    But that will use one of the Thunderbolt connectors, won't it?
    And I need both for the displays, don't I?

If you recommend I install all the apps locally, then should I get the largest local hard drive possible?
    Need to decide whether 500Gig will be enough and whether an additional £400 for the extra 250Gig is worth it. *Very* difficult to justify.

I guess this would do for the Blu-ray player/writer: LG BP40NS20 Slim External 3D Blu-Ray Writer - BP40NS20.AUAE10B - Scan.co.uk

5. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,128
    I think you are stuck if you want to connect both your U2711b displays via display port AND have wired ethernet at the same time. You could connect on of the displays via display port and the other via HDMI but I don't know whether they can run in the highest resolution like that.

I'm not aware of video splitters that go beyond 1920x1200 resolution either, and then you may as well use the hdmi port.

And to my knowledge there aren't any thunderbolt hubs out yet either...So unfortunately I think it is not possible yet....

I agree with Dante, I really wouldn't put your Apps on an external drive. Other than not wanting too there isn't really any particular reason for it either due to the way OSX apps are built. But yes you can place them where ever you like.
    My user data is a different matter though, I do put that separate on my desktops from the boot disk but on a laptop I wouldn't bother with it.
    USB has been fine for years, but if you are looking to buy now I would buy Thunderbolt. There have been several documented cases where the passthrough thunderbolt port on the hard drive works to then put the display port cable on it. So make certain it has a passthrough port

Another vote for the LG drives, I've got a light scribe capable one. It works very well. DVDFab is great for ripping etc and they also have a bluray player app.

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,128
    The TB ports are mini display port compatible :smashin:

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    The only issue I have with my BD drive is it is very sensitive to fingerprints. Marks that wouldn't faze a domestic BD player seem to always result in read errors on my BE12LU38. The BE12LU38 also has Lightscribe, but I don't think the BP40NS20 includes this?

Doesn't the MacBook Pro Retina have dual Thunderbolt ports?

I'd suggest using one for ethernet (via a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter), the other for your display and then purchasing a USB3 external drive rather than a Thunderbolt drive.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD463ZM/A

8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,128
    But Stuart has two external displays and ethernet ;)

I would suggest to just get rid of the Dells, get the Apple versions so you have the inbuilt chaining and docks, that way all you have to do is attach 1 single cable to you macbook which will charge, provide all the connections you want etc...Instead of having 5 cables dangle from it (power, 2xdisplay,ethernet,hard drive) you know you want too :p

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    k ;)

10. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Why do you need 3 monitors anyway? With the Retina screen you can easily show 2 "normal" screens on just the MacBook :)

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    I'd suggest you max the HD out anyway. Remember, you can't upgrade the MacBook Pro Retina after you've purchased it. This includes the RAM as well as the internal HD.

The OS takes up very little space and you'd need to have a very extensive collection of apps to fill up your HD. My setup only uses 33GB for both the OS and installed applications. I keep all media files and work in progress on external drives, including a NAS and several Firewire drives.

The apps and OS are not the issue, it is whether you want to keep other files on the internal drive and this will determine whether or not the expense of a larger internal drive is justifiable? Being a Laptop I'm guessing you'll want to take files with you without the need to also drag along an external drive so maybe the larger internal drive is a better option for you?

12. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Ah right, so can you plug a mini display port connector into a TB port?

13. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    Mini DisplayPort displays plug straight into a Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, you need to use an adapter.

14. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Just a thought (thinking outside the box a little...), but rather than worrying about the lack of Thunderbolt ports for wired Ethernet, why not buy the new Airport Express? If you have a network connection at your desk, hook up an Airport Express to it and use WiFi to connect your new rMBP. The signal with 5Ghz 802.11n will be very fast, very stable and very convenient and will leave both TB ports for monitors.

You'll also have Airplay if you have some speakers nearby, as well as WiFi for other devices.

15. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
  16. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,128
    Thanks, something like that is most definitely on my shopping list...Unless Apple releases 30"+ retina desktop monitors with all that build in...I wonder whether it charges the laptop as well...Bit pricey though...

17. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Thanks for that, I was about to order a TB>VGA adapter for my MBP as I didn't think my old MDP>VGA one would work. Glad I posted here now!

18. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Don't understand why USB3 keeps getting suggested over ThunderBolt in this thread? TB is superior to USB3 to start with, but with having only 2 TB ports and wanting 2 monitors and a drive connected at the same time it's a no brainier with the additional TB port you get on most drives. Check out the WD ThunderBolt Duo drive. I have one and it's unbelievably fast!

19. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    Maybe because of the lack of drives that incorporate a Thunderbolt interface and the price difference associated with the few that have it?

20. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Don't say "for speed" you need USB3, not TB, as clearly TB is faster. Secondly, with the available ports TB is the only option?

21. zad

zad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    All you have to do with the application folder is move to where ever and create a symlink to it and change permissions lol easy as that :) you can call the folder any thing you like as long as the symlink is correct..

Oh and well done for coming over to the dark side ;) your mac will run winblows very nicely lol

22. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    Yeah you can use Unix to create a symbolic link, but why would you want or need to locate your applications folder anywhere but where Apple place it in the OS?

23. zad

zad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Dante01 I thought that but when my lad says he has no room left on his 60g ssd because of all the crap he puts on it then its a case of moving it over to his 2nd hdd he has in his macbook...

I know I know but hey some times I have to do what I am asked its easier that way ;)

24. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229

I think the solution is to leave apps and the Applications folder alone and move all the crap onto the external drive. The crap probably takes up a lot more space than the applications? Both my applications and the OS only occupy 32GB on my internal drive. I'm actually miffed because there wasn't an option to get a smaller, less expensive internal drive inside my iMac and I had no option other than to get a 1TB internal. I've set my Macs up like this for years and seldom store anything on the internal drive apart from the OS and applications.

25. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,949
    I use both Dells @ 2560 x 1440 and I need all that real estate. So a 15" retina isn't going to cut it.
    That will presumably do the trick. 1 thunderbolt via mini display port to Dell #1 display port. The other thunderbolt to the Belkin hub, with the mini display port to Dell #2 display port. Ethernet and external blu-ray and hard drives via usb3.
    Thank for the tips.
    I

26. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,128
    If you are thinking of getting that hub, I would just connect the hub to the MacBookPro...Then on the hub connect one Dell Monitor direct, on the other have a thunderbolt disk enclosure, and then on the passthrough port of that connect the other Dell Monitor.

Ethernet direct to the hub, and blu-ray via USB to the hub...

27. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for this info, does this mean at last you can get an hdmi source into Thunderbolt? On the website it says 'input and output' devices but no specifics.

28. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    The HDMI port is for output only. HDMI would require separate individual input and output ports and HDMI cannot both input and output data via the one same port. One minor exception to this would be the Audio Return Channel associated with HDMI v1.4, but this requires that both connected devices are HDMI 1.4 and ARC compliant. HDMI is generally not a two way interface.

The revised spec for the Hub removes the inclusion of an HDMI port so this is a mute point. Belkin will now include a Mini DisplayPort adapter with the product instead of including an HDMI port.

If you want to check the current revised spec for the hub then use the last link (Belkin).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  29. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    Forgot to mention that there's also an eSata port on the hub.

30. Jase Winter

Jase Winter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    I really want one of those belkin hubs mainly to add USB 3 to my 2011 iMac but isn't the RRP $399? that's an awful lot of money for what is essentially just a hub for additional ports, I know it's thunderbolt but that just seems like a crazy price, plus then there's the cost of the cable on top. I guess realistically it would be overkill for my needs as I don't need any of the other ports.