1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have upto £2500 to speand on a 42" - 43" Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pdlewis, Aug 30, 2005.

1. pdlewis

pdlewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I need help on deciding which Plasma Screen to get. I’m looking to pay between £2,000 & £2,500 on a 42” set up (43” in the case of Pioneer’s XDE range). I’m looking for something that is going to give the best picture quality with both DVD and more importantly SKY…. I’ve read a lot of reviews but not many go into great detail about the picture quality with sky broadcast? I need something that is not going to show pixel distortion in blacks and crisp motion/movement when watching the footie… Is this possible at the price? I will be looking for something which is HD ready for when sky changes over next year! All help is more than welcome…..

Cheers,

Paul

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Quality of Sky depends on the channel you are watching. ie: some are good and some are bad and some are price drop TV.

Also how you contect to your sky box ie:L PAL vs RGB affects your quality as well and the sky signal strength.

No easy answer I am afraid, there was a thread over the last couple of days which showed how easy it was to get it wrong and blame the plasma and not the user!!

3. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panny PV500 is widely regarded as very good with Sky and is HD ready. I have one of these (42") and have been very impressed with the Sky PQ.
    AIMHO :D

4. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been through this very same thought process for the last 4-5 weeks, so to save you some time.

Having read the relevant magazines I believe the choice boils down to...

1) Panasonic 42PV500 - this is high def and has the best PQ (5 out of 5 based on "what plasma and LCD"). I've seen these for about £2100 without guarantee. The best deal I found (as I originally wanted a 5yr guarantee) was John Lewis at £2495 which includes the 5yr guarantee.

2) Panasonic 42PE50 - This is NOT high def but the normal PQ is excellent. You can get these for £1300 (at this price I'm willing to risk the product without a 5yr guarantee - though a Domestic and General one can be bought for £349)

Sky's footy high def is out next season but two things potentially put me off buying a high def...
    1) the PV500 is 1st generation high definition, in about a year or so time I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy a better model for around £1.5k
    2) Sky HD box is likely to cost between £300 - £500 and their will be an additional sky subscription cost (based on what I've read)

As such I'm going to purchase the 42PE50 for £1299 and in two / three years time (when high def properly becomes more mainstream) I'll reinvest the £1200 I saved and purchase a *hopefully* better high def tv for c£1.5k

I'll then relegate the 42PE50 to my xbox 360 duties!

All my opinion - just read around the forum / magazines and form your opinion from there.

Hope that helps.

=======
    PS JUST REMEMBER ON THE PANNYS THERE IS A 200 HR SCREEN RUN IN TIME - SOMEONE ON THE FORUM GOT SCREENBURN BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you are prepared to go to the trouble of the panel only route, you can now get a HD panel and a scaler for that kind of money, which will undoubtedly be the best possible PQ. You'll find you'll spend more time researching, and it's certainly more complicated than just ordering a PV500 or a XDE. Like the Hi Fi separates versus music centre argument, there are pros and cons.

6. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Would completely agree with you Not A Clue but the big problem for me is that Xbox360 and PS3 are coming with HD Games, of course the PS3 has the Blu Ray Drive also so not so much worried about sky's offering.

But to me it would be a waste not to get a HD TV Right now, the fact remains that the HD Plasmas of Pioneer and Panasonic have a fantastic picture, that doesnt change with newer TV's coming. Means theres better eventually out there but doesnt make the existing lot any worse, if you know what I mean.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not a clue, sorry to disappoint, but the PE50 won't do HD from your X-box, it's 100% non HD compliant! No 720p@50Hz on any input. Other than that your plan is certainly 1 way of looking at the current confusion.

8. pdlewis

pdlewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PS JUST REMEMBER ON THE PANNYS THERE IS A 200 HR SCREEN RUN IN TIME - SOMEONE ON THE FORUM GOT SCREENBURN BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL?

What does this mean?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Mostly twaddle. It's considered wise not to run your screen at full throttle from new, like a car. But unlike a car, where revving harder gets you there faster, running a screen at max contrast and brightness gives you a very poor picture anyway. So get the settings down to 1/2 way or a bit below, and your picture will be better for it as well as screen life. When it's all settled down, about 200 hours, you use a setup disc like DVE to achieve the optimum settings your your equipment.

10. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know its non-high def - sorry to be clear I won't be playing my xbox 360 in high def...though that may change when i see the games :rolleyes:

PS It would be a brave soul who would play an xbox 360 on a brand new HD plamsa - still believe their is a massive screenburn issue and will only change my mind once I've owned one and seen it not happen after a couple of years...i'd personally get an lcd for my beast if i wanted to play HD

11. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See the following thread...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231342

Basically you can't watch a program with a logo (e.g. sky sports) or 4:3 footage in the first 200 hours of plasma tv use (in the case of the pv500 from what I've read on here) as it could burn a permenant image into the screen - i didn't know that until i saw this thread (and wouldn't have read the manual cover to cover) and would have probably experienced screenburn upon purchase!

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Sorry that is crap!

I have had 2 panasonics, a Pioneer xde and an NEC 42XM3 and the pannys have been fine, if there was screen burn on the panny they have had the settings seriously wrong.

Yes the Pioneer is prone to it, and the NEC is an absolute nightmare, 2 minutes and a logo would stay on the screen, but the panasonics have no problem, I sat and watched sky sports all day when I got my 6 series and it was fine. My daughter sat with one of the kids channels for a good morning the next day and again no problem, I was looking too because I had heard the horror stories.
    Seriously if you get screen burn with a Pansonic you deserve it because you have the settings far too high.

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Shouldn't be a problem unless the same game is played for hours and hours. Even then, the screen changes regularly, between levels/tracks/missions etc. I certainly wouldn't have any issue with playing my 360 on a new screen.

14. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm buying one so I hope it really is crap and a function of stupidity around settings...I will be gutted if it does burn when i get it...

My confidence is built based on what people in this forum have said and what salespersons have said to me (comet said all plasmas will burn and they showed me the new HD hitachi in the shop which had it...though interestingly the panny did not)...

I've been honest all along and said I've based it all on what I have read etc. -As I intimated above I cannot truly comment on the issue until I own a plasma and put it to use...I've never owned a flat screen in my life to date...

15. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only one game for me - Halo 2 :)

16. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think all u need do with a new Panasonic is just be sensible for the first 150 to 200hrs and not leave anything on screen to long and turn down the settings as given by the wise in this forum (see the info on the sticky). That means dont leave logos on and dont leave black bars on to long....Its a bit of a pain but its only for the run in period....now ive ran mine in i treat it as any other tv and its spot on

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My local Comet have fried their Hitachi too. Blind stupididty? Or susceptibility. I'm often leapt on in fury by Hitachi owners for needlessly 'knocking' their much loved screens. Sorry guys, I never make groundless statements.

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Sorry, just re read that and it sounded as if I was calling you a liar! :(
    I wasn't at all, I know you were just summing up all the info you had read on here.
    A lot of the problem is people leave their sets on the wrong settings, get image retention, then panic and come on here shouting that the screen is useless because there are gutted with themselves for having done it.

Wit a Panasonic you have to have the settings very wrong to get it, with other screens you can get it if you just watch a whole programme!