I have two kits. Should I consolidate into one?

damo_in_sale

Been a while. Hope everyone is doing well.

Ok so I have two kits.
  1. Lumix G80 + 14-140 f3.5-5.6, 100-300 f4-5.6, Olympus 45 f1.8, Summilux 25 f1.4
  2. Nikon D750, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 VC
The Nikon kit is actually the most recent, all second hand. I convinced myself that I was missing out on some full frame goodness with the Lumix m43 kit but to be honest, yes the FF quality is better but it‘s not earth shattering tbh. So I’m not sure I need the two systems really.

I personally find the focus system on the Lumix to be excellent for stills (I probably prefer it to the D750 for focus). But it’s poor for video autofocus and I need this to be good.

If I flog the lot I reckon that would pay for (used) either…
  1. Olympus EM1 mkii, 12-40 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8
  2. Fuji X-S10, 18-55 f2.8-4, 50-140 f2.8
I hear very good things about both of the above.

Usage…
  1. Amateur level football for my lad (mainly stills and a little video)
  2. Family outings
  3. Family events like kids birthdays (stills and a greater mix of video)
I’d welcome thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

snerkler

If you're not seeing much difference between your M4/3 and FF then there's not point carrying the extra weight of your D750 imo.

It wasn't that long ago (last year) that I was in your exact same position, BUT I do prefer FF for that subject isolation and dynamic range so I consolidated my Nikon FF and Olympus EM1-II for the Sony A7RIV as I thought the cropability of the A7RIV's 61mp would give me a similar reach advantage to M4/3. Whilst this is true, the files bogged lightroom down too much and AF couldn't keep up with my dog and so I swapped the A7RIV for the A9-II. I've actually found that even this crops very well and so I've not really missed the extra reach, I've not even bothered using my 1.4x TC for most things.

However, as mentioned as you can't see much difference I'd stick with M4/3 all day long due to the weight advantage, especially of the lenses. I can't comment on the video capabilities of the EM1-II as I don't shoot video, but the camera is superb, I was always happy with the performance and results.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Fuji. When it's good it's superb, but sometimes the rendering can be a bit off imo.

Last edited:

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Been a while. Hope everyone is doing well.

Ok so I have two kits.
  1. Lumix G80 + 14-140 f3.5-5.6, 100-300 f4-5.6, Olympus 45 f1.8, Summilux 25 f1.4
  2. Nikon D750, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 VC
The Nikon kit is actually the most recent, all second hand. I convinced myself that I was missing out on some full frame goodness with the Lumix m43 kit but to be honest, yes the FF quality is better but it‘s not earth shattering tbh. So I’m not sure I need the two systems really.

I personally find the focus system on the Lumix to be excellent for stills (I probably prefer it to the D750 for focus). But it’s poor for video autofocus and I need this to be good.

If I flog the lot I reckon that would pay for (used) either…
  1. Olympus EM1 mkii, 12-40 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8
  2. Fuji X-S10, 18-55 f2.8-4, 50-140 f2.8
I hear very good things about both of the above.

Usage…
  1. Amateur level football for my lad (mainly stills and a little video)
  2. Family outings
  3. Family events like kids birthdays (stills and a greater mix of video)
I’d welcome thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.
Maybe also take a look at the Panasonic G9 as well as the Olympus if video is going to be a major part of the mix. There is a big section here on the autofocus capabilities of the two cameras compared to each other. Panasonic Lumix G9 vs Olympus OM-D E-M1 II – The complete comparison – Page 2 – Mirrorless Comparison

Last edited:

AMc

Distinguished Member
I know "in general" Panasonic M43 is better regarded for video compared to Olympus.
I don't shoot any video and I've never used a Panasonic body so I can't comment from experience.

I can say that having shot with Olympus bodies and built up a selection of lenses - the Olympus f2.8 12-40 PRO is worth the cost and weight - if I were starting again I wouldn't buy any of the primes I now have in that focal range.
There are cashback deals and bundle deals on the E-M1ii at the moment that would be worth looking at if you're going that way.

I know that Kai shoots a lot of his video on Panasonic bodies so might be worth a trawl through his past videos to see what he thinks.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom