1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have the projection distance calculator for TW100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Sent to me this afternoon by Epson. If anyone needs it I have uploaded it here

As expected, this pj throws much bigger images than expected (needed) :mad:

Neil

2. nelson

nelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It seems the calculator confirms the figures I gave you yesterday.

You would need a throw of exactly 13ft 8ins to give your required 84 inch screen width.

Your throw of 173 inches will produce a 7ft 5in wide image (using tele setting on lens).

Is it not possible to bring the projector forward the extra 9 inches? Also did you allow for the 7.8 inches clear space between the wall and back off the projector when arriving at the 173 inch throw?

Sorry if I am repeating these questions, just want to be sure you haven't overlooked anything in your calculations.

Your only alternative is an 8ft screen if you still want to use that throw distance.

I'm not sure whether to go for a bigger screen myself, just wondering how much image degradation there will be going from 6ft as seen to 8ft.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Hmmm. What's the diference between wide and tele then. Is the the minimum and maximum zoom or is it a special function? If it is the zoom function, does that mean on full Tele mode you will have a better quality picture as the pixels will effectively be smaller? I am confused :confused: but also getting rather excited :)

Neil

4. nelson

nelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Neil,

The Wide and Tele settings refer to the lens itself which can be zoomed to increase or decrease the projected image size. This is the same thing as having a zoom lens on a camera.

The lens on the TW100 has a zoom ratio of 1:1.35 which works as follows:

If for example the lens was set to it's full TELE setting to produce an image that was 10ft wide, then by adjusting the lens to it's full WIDE setting, the image would increase in size by a factor of 1.35 to give an image 13.5ft across.

TELE projects the image through a narrower angle and WIDE does the opposite spreading the image across a broader angle.

This means that the TW100 using a throw distance of 173 inches will produce an image of 121 inches across at the WIDE setting, or an image of 89 inches at the TELE setting.

Keeping the throw distance at 173 inches, you can adjust the lens to anywhere in between it's full WIDE or full TELE to adjust the image width to anywhere in between 89 - 121 inches across.

So the smallest image you can obtain from your throw distance is 89 inches wide, which I realise is slightly bigger than you required, but only by 5 inches. Moving up to an 8ft screen would solve your problem.

Hope that explanation made some sense and helps you in making a decision on what to do.

Try the TELE and WIDE options on the screen calculator and see what effect it has, it may help to clarify things a bit more.

I'm not sure what the difference in projected image quality will be between the TELE and Wide settings, normally camera lenses will produce a sharper image at the WIDE angle, so presume this will be the same. Might not be very noticeable though, could in fact provide the same adjustment as a slight de-focussing that some people recommend to hide any possible screendoor effect.

P.S. Made a bit more progress on the firmware upgrade details with Matt today, will post more on this hopefully tomorrow, but we now know that we can get the latest version installed. ;)

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Thanks Nelson. Looks like I'll be going for the TW100 after all. Spoke with Matt today and he has confirmed they have the bigger screen in stock. Not sure if they have the TW100's in stock. If so I may travel down there tomorrow to swap it all out. If not I'll wait.

Can you please confirm what the firmware upgrade wil offer. Is it worth me waiting or not? Thanks.

Neil

6. nelson

nelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Neil,

Just clarify what I have told you about screen sizes with Matt before handing over cash, I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving you false information, but I'm almost 100% sure I have got this right.

The firmware upgrade is version 1.08. According to users of the TW100 in other countries, it solves the issues with pixel perfect mapping at full 1280 x 720 panel resolution with DVI input and also fixes the false overheating error messages that were forcing the projector to shutdown when being used in Front/Ceiling projection mode as you will be using. I guess it also allows full 1280 x 720 using Through mode too which I understand was another problem.

Probably a few other fixes in there as well that we aren't aware of, but unfortunately Epson today declined to send Matt the promised documents about the firmware changes as his contact at Epson has realised it is classified as 'Highly Confidential'.

Bit of a mess I know, but on the strength of comments from a number of overseas users, I have asked Matt to go ahead and order me a TW100 with the latest firmware installed. This may take a few days to sort out, but I'm in no rush.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Well, I'm not gonna be able to clrify it with matt as he did not know what the throw distances were. But, as the calculator has been provided by Epson I think I would be quite safe to assume that if it is wrong (no disclaimers given) then I would be entitled to a refund either by AV-Sales, by Epson or by Barclaycard (whom I'm gonna get to do a price match anyway cos I'm sure there'll be someone cheaper than AV-sales).

I'm gonna speak with matt in the morning and get him to order another one at the same time as yours then.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Neil

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Well, it's ordered. Matt expects it to be delivered some time next week or maybe the following week. Together with an 8ft screen I am hoping it will be pretty good.

All credit to Matt at AV-sales for sorting it all out. They are swapping both the projector and screen and still doing a great deal. Thanks Matt.

Didn't want to spend this much but if it all works out OK and fits discretely into my lounge (as the existing pj has done for 2 years) then I'm happy.

If there's anyone out there interestd in buying a cheap Sony pj (VPL-900SE) then I'll let it go at a ridiculous price, complete with spare bulb. Let me know.

Neil

9. nelson

nelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Neil,

I decided on the 92" screen too. Here's looking forward to our new toys!;)

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Did you go manual or electric? I've pushed the boat out and gone electric. Lazy I know but with the IR unit I will be able to press one button on my Pronto and it will 'all happen'. Electric curtains next?

Neil

11. nelson

nelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I went with the manual, basically because I can leave it out all the time as I have a room specifically for HT and hi-fi so doesn't have to share space with my lounge or dining rooms.

Also means I can tension the screen to keep it completely flat.

Will probably hide it behind curtains eventually, as this will improve the room acoustics for the hi-fi.

Now if I were to have electrically operated curtains..........

12. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats guys on going for the Epson. I've had mine exactly 4 weeks now and managed to put 140 hrs on the clock. Just waiting now for the phone call from Epson to arrange collection in order to have the firmware upgraded. I'll certainly miss it while its away.

What are you planning on driving it with ?

Allan

13. nelson

nelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Allan,

I shall be using a multi-region Toshiba SD510E most of the time for convenience (family friendly).

I also have a PC next to where it will be sited, so that will get used too, especially for region 2 discs as my Tosh doesn't do PAL progressive unfortunately. I need to upgrade the graphics card before I can give the DVI input a try out.

In the end, I guess I will mostly use whichever source provides the best results.

From what we saw at the shootout, there was little to choose between the PC, Philips DVD (see shootout post for model) and the Tosh DVD as signal sources. I think everyone was surprised how well the DVD players performed compared to the PC.

What's your own favourite flavour?

14. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nelson,

I think DVI is definitely the way to go. I compared DVI with VGA and the difference was very obvious, especially when using the projector as a regular Windows monitor. I have to qualify that though and say that the VGA cable I was using was not the best. It was a Belkin 'Pro' cable which roughly translates to bottom-of-range P.O.S. However, the difference was still such that I doubt the VGA would get so close as to be indistinguishable from DVI. DVI looks so much more crisp and solid.

I had a brief spell with my Sony mid-range DVD player via S-Video but the picture looked rather flat and dull in comparison to the HTPC which looked bright, vibrant, 3-dimensional and detailed. I couldn't get the component outputs from the Sony working in-movie with the Epson. The Sony logo and setup screens were okay but when I played a disk the projector wouldn't sync and the picture rolled. I've not been too worrried about it as I heard some time ago about PAL/Macrovision issues via component with earlier firmware versions. Mine is currently 1.02 BTW. I'll give it another try when the PJ comes back from Epson but I honestly doubt it will be able to touch the HTPC.

When you have the projector at home and the luxury of being able to try all these things out in a controlled way over a period of time then your opinion of HTPC vs DVD player may well change. If you do end up sticking with a DVD player I wouldn't worry about finding one with a progressive output. From what I gather the Faroudja de-interlacer is excellent and will outperform most prog-scan DVD players anyway.

Well I'm just about to go and put a few more hours on the projector. Believe it or not I've yet to watch Gladiator through this thing. Last night was "High Fidelity", night before was "Mulholland Drive", night before that was "Titanic", night before that was "Twin Peaks - Fire Walk WIth Me", before that "Alien", etc. etc. - you get the idea, this thing's addictive.

Allan

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Well, I'm gonna feeding mine with lots of attention and care along with a Sony DVP-S7700 DVD player, an S-VHS video (for tuner), a PS2, an XBox and somwhere in amongst all this lot I may connect up my ProV.

The DVD and consoles are all connected via component leads and the S-VHS via S-Vid. I will eventually go down the HTPC route but that will come later due to a few upgrade bits required (video card particulary and a neater case) and also cos all this is integrated quite subtlely into my lounge so no more big boxes for the time being.

I'm glad to hear about the Faroudja chip in the TW100 as I didn't really wanna have to upgrade my DVD player (after cancelling the Nintaus one). My XBox by the way is now outputting a progressive signal (afdter lots of effort to upgarde the UK unit - but it now works :) )

Anyway, more after I get it and play with it for a bit.

TTFN