I have taken the plunge !!!!!

RuddyRoad

Prominent Member
Reaction score
:beer:

Having spent hours going throught these threads I just thought I would say I have finally ordered my first ever plasma. And the winner is......

.....I went for a Panny PWD7 with dual input board.

As I basically have no other decent AV equipment, I have also gone for a Yamaha DSPAX750 AV receiver, and some Canton CD1 speakers (coming from Germany).

The earliest I can be in to receive a delivery is Wednesday next week, so I have to wait 'till then. After which comes the joy of cabling.....I'm gonna channel a big hole in the wall for trunking +/- face plates.

Look out for me on DIY disasters !!!!

Anyway, i just wanted to say thanks to all the people on here who gave me advice and answered all my stupid questions.....I feel like a bit of an expert now !

:thumbsup: Sounds like a nice setup. Exactly what I'm thinking about too. Be interested to hear what you think when you have it set up and running. Are you going use it with Sky?

Roswell said:
:thumbsup: Sounds like a nice setup. Exactly what I'm thinking about too. Be interested to hear what you think when you have it set up and running. Are you going use it with Sky?

Roswell, I have the Yammy750 and CD1's from Germany, they are superb, and so is my VR5 :D

Regards
Andy

Yes, I've read that and it was very helpful thanks. It'd be good to have the opinion of someone who has had the screen at home for a while to see how they got on after living with it for a while. I liked it, but the screen burn issue is a worry and I'd like to know if the picture can be toned down a bit. The bright parts looked too bright I thought. I'm going to go to the Bristol show and see some dems and hopefully they'll be well set up. Congrats on the 10k by the way! :clap:

Roswell said:

Yeah I'll be using it with SKY, mate. I am going to see how good the 750 is at upconverting to component with SKY, but if it's not up to scratch, I will add in the JS RGB to YUV converter. (I didnt have a clue what any of that was a few weeks ago....)

I'll let you know how it goes....

Roswell said:
Yes, I've read that and it was very helpful thanks. It'd be good to have the opinion of someone who has had the screen at home for a while to see how they got on after living with it for a while. I liked it, but the screen burn issue is a worry and I'd like to know if the picture can be toned down a bit. The bright parts looked too bright I thought. I'm going to go to the Bristol show and see some dems and hopefully they'll be well set up. Congrats on the 10k by the way! :clap:

Roswell, IMO there is no screen burn issue on the VR5, it is pure myth m8, I have only experienced one instance of image retention never mind 'burn' and that was after watching a dvd in letterbox with less than 80 hours on the panel, it was gone after 2 mins max, and has not been repeated since and i'm + 200 Hrs now.
As with any plasma turn brightness and contrast down for the first 200 Hrs and you'll be fine. With the VR5, switching to theater 1 or 2 tones down the image nicely.
The VR5 can be as vibrant or dull as you want it m8, totally adjustable and very easy to do too.

If you saw the NEC running in default mode you've seen nothing m8, this setting is pants.
As always, go and see a proper demo if you can.

Regards
Andy

Thanks Andy. That's useful information. I'll try to see some more dems of the PW7 and the VR5. Trouble is, it's unlikely to see them even connected up properly, let alone set up well but I'll wait for the Bristol show and check them out some more then.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom