1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have taken the plunge, advice please!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by martyn54, Jan 10, 2002.

1. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've gone for it and ordered a Sony VPL-HS1 with a free screen.

Initially I only want to watch DVD's and try my Dreamcast with it.

Can anyone tell me if I need to buy any leads for it. I think it comes with an interface cable SIC-HS10:confused: What's that.

Any other tips would be appreciated:)

2. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The HS1 has its own proprietary connector, the PJ Multi, the SIC-HS10 is a 5m A/V lead (Stero phono plus composite video). Check out http://www.sonyhomecinema.com/ go to products -> HS1 -> Optional accessories to see what it and other accessories are.

Supplied with remote, batteries, above cable, replacement air filter, warranty card, operation manual and lens cap.

Hope you got a good price, and it arrives really soon.

Have fun and let me know what you think.

3. AV killed my CC

AV killed my CC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Note that the unit also has an S-Video and Composite connector on the back so you can use these with any standard lead to make that connection. There is also a SIC-HS40, which I have ordered but not received yet which is a 5M PJ-Multi to comp', S-Video and RGB/Component. Hoping to use the later to eek even better picture performance from DVD and hopefully improve Sky.

Picture quality is awesome, currently watching DVD's at 85 inch 16:9. Geometry is excellent, no hot spots or banding, no jaggies and very natural vistas. Yes I've got one dead ( green ) pixel. ( Which seemed to set-off some irrational thread over consumer rights vesus expectataions on a previous post ) but the overall experience is excellent.

Enjoy it when you get it, do try at least s-video over comp on DVD though, does make a discernable difference.

4. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies:)

I had a good look around for prices, all about £1900 mark. A few didn't have stock or no free screen. Managed to get it at dabs.com with 10 months interest free credit which helps.

So a 5 metre s-video cable would be the best initially, composite is the lowest, component/RGB the best you can get.

Has anyone got the screen, is it any good.

Hopefully it will be with me early next week, I will let you know how it goes. I must admit I can't wait.

85 inch screen sounds good. One dead ( green ) pixel, sounds nasty, is this like a small dot that you can see on the screen all the time.

Once again thanks for your help

5. AV killed my CC

AV killed my CC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Martyn – a view on the two questions/points you raised.

The free screen is ok, slightly shiny surface, which offers a 60” wide 4:3 screen, and gives about a 46” 16:9 image I seem to recall. The black section at the bottom which is about 18” high enables sensible centre speaker positioning as well. Easily portable if you want to take dreamcast/PS2 etc. + projector round a mates.

As for the green pixel see previous thread for the differing opinions on what is and is not acceptable. Basically it comes down to personal feeling. The green pixel shows on light backgrounds only, dark backgrounds do not show it at all. Me thinks the red pixel is actually dead leading to this artefact. I have thought long and hard about taking the PJ back and could if I want to as I bought from a real shop ( The Sony Policy is stated by LP on the previous thread ) notwithstanding that the HS-1 manual states this as “normal and not a malfunction”. I did find myself individually inspecting pixels very close up, which is very sad and detracts from the viewing experience. I’ve decided not to look for a replacement as overall I am very impressed and happy with the picture. From the proper viewing distance you just ( should ) get engrossed in the experience. There comes a time ( as same with the audio ) when you have to stop tweaking and listening/looking for technical faults/improvements and just bloody enjoy it ! ( As my wife rightly reminds me )

I looked at PC projectors, one a 3M XGA 700 lumens LCD and the other a Sharp XGA 800 Lumens DLP projector and can honestly say that I think overall the HS-1 gives a much better DVD experience.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I second that! Life is too short!!

I want my HC to be as cheap and a fun as possible!!

7. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confirmation of shipping, so should get it Mon/Tue.

I have ordered a 5 metre s-video cable, can I plug it in to my amp, a Sony 930 and then be able to switch between TV/ DVD ect

8. AV killed my CC

AV killed my CC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Martyn, not familiar with the Sony being a Yammy man however I'm sure the same deal applies.

Connect you DVD to the amp with short S-Video ( presuming they are close together ) - then connect your 5 M S-Video from amp to HS-1. You can then use another S-Video to connect to your TV either from a second monitor output, or if there is not one of those from any of the Video OUT S-Video sockets on the amp. Could be S-video or SCART ended at TV depending on connections available. Can then use the AMP to provide two outputs to both HS-1 and TV. Get a S-Video cable for the dreamcast ( if there is one ? ) whack that in the amp as well and you can then likewise switch that to both HS-1 and tele. Hope thats clear, it's easier with pictures !

9. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV killed my CC

I understand, I've never used the s-video's on the amp before, but I know there is a bank of them, new they would come in usefull oneday :) Looks like I will have to buy a scart-s-video cable as well for the TV

Sounds good, if it works, as you only have to have one cable trailing across the floor, and can keep all the gear where it is.

Thanks for the reply, will let you know how it goes

10. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martyn54,

I have the VPL-HS1 and you will not be disappointed.

1 thing that I must advise you on is the S-Video cable and how you must make sure it is a high quality cable.

I have a 3m and a 5m S-Video cable, the 3m cable is high quality and the 5m is of lower quality, when I used the 5m cable the reds had a shimmering affect and really detracted from the viewing experience, the 3m cable removed this affect and improved the picture big time.

Kev.

11. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Gotta but in and ask a question here :D

Can you explain why yourself (and others) seem to be using S-Video cables to connect a DVD player to the Sony Projector.

I always regarded everything to be inferior to a pure RGB connection. Why are not people pushing this method ?

In saying that, I'd personally very much appreciate your thoughts on the image quality of your Sony. 3 things really.

1: Is the image sharp, things like toy story, bugs life ect should be so sharp you could cut yourself on them!

2: Are the colours strong (not washed out)

3: Do you find yourself noticing the chicken wire effect at all ?

Many thank's.. I hope to join you soon in WideScreen Heaven :)

12. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kev,

Yes I have read about only buying good quality cables especially when they are long runs.

I have gone for a TechLink Puresonic 24k gold plated, Oxygen-free, copper cable. I have heard they are good for the price £25

I must admit I have tested RGB v s-video on my Sony 32 inch W/S and couldn't notice any difference. It might notice on a projector though. Can the Sony take a RGB signal?

13. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tempest,

The only reason I am using s-video from my DVD player to the HS1 is because my Component RGB cables have not arrived yet, to further answer your question on sharpness on Bugs Live and Toy Story I have to say the picture Is more than pleasing with an 9 foot diagonal image and viewed from 10 feet, colours are great and the picture is sharp.

The projector is far enough away from the screen that I do not have to zoom the picture up to give me the 9 foot diagonal image and no chicken wire effect is noticeable.

As with all projectors the source is important so I am currently upgrading my 4 year old Pioneer 606D dvd to a Denon DVD2800 with Progressive Scan the picture is likely to improve again in terms of sharpness and colour but what I have at the moment is still stunning I just cant stop upgrading my components :).

Kev.

14. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    martyn54,

The Sony can take RGB from your PC or RGB from Component outputs on DVD's etc, you have a few ways to connect these signals to the HS1.

1. IFU-HS1 (£150rrp) signal interface connection box witch offers Component, svideo and composite through the PJ Multi on HS1.

2. SIC40-HS1 (£85rrp) PJ-MULTI to component cable (5m).

3. SIC-HS30 (£85rrp) PJ-MULTI to 15pin HD-sub (computer cable 5m).

The prices are Sony's RRP and can be much cheaper from places like www.techtronics.com or from the USA.

Kev.

15. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kev,

Thanks for the info, I haven't got component on my DVD and don't want to hook it up to my PC, so it looks like I will have to stick with s-video.

Sony cables are expensive, as anyone tried one of them yet, are they good quality?

16. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The nice man from ParcelForce has just delivered my Projetor and screen, am just about to take it out of the box, but that is all, have to go back to work:(

Have to wait untill tonight, will let you know how it goes

17. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm trying hard to conceal my jealousy. :) Have a great night, bet you'll have better things to do than post here. :D

18. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick update;

I must say I am amazed at the quality of the pictures. I was a little concerned at some of the negative comments I have read on the forums i.e. poor blacks, chicken wire effect, ect. But I am very impressed with with the blacks and no chicken wire.

I am also using a composite output as my s-video cable hasn't arrived.

The only problem I have is colour bleed, I noticed it when watching the Charlies Angel scene at the race track. The blue suit Drew Barrymore was wearing, her cleavage was also blue :eek:

What could cause this, would it be the cable?

Must go, I have to be up at 5am for work :(

19. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The S-Video cable should help reduce bleeding.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may have just been a cold day!

21. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just tried a short cheap s-video cable and the picture has improved dramatically, no bleed, colours were good before, but now they are brilliant, yellow looks like yellow not a washed out orange. Whites are that, not grey and I am well impressed with blacks. This is compared to a 32 w/s Sony that it only 9 months old.

The only think that is lacking is depth, the Sony tv almost gives the impression of 3D. This is not so on the projector. Can anyone explain why, is it something that needs to be adjusted. I haven't played around to much with the settings, they are on factory default.

Nigel, how's your purchase going, any luck yet.

22. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not made a purchase of the projector yet. Best offer I have is £3,800 but I think that's an import of a European version, not that there's any difference.

I might find a UK supplier and get Barclaycard to do the price promise as there are serveral suppliers at the £3,800 mark (including Techtronics) but I'm not sure if I want to use them.

Hope to get a 2nd-hand Da-Lite Matte screen this week, not that I can do much with it!

My intention is to visit the Hi-Fi Show in Bristol next month. I don't expect to find anything better than the VW11 for the price but it's just for peace of mind! Lastly, my dad is visiting in March so he can help me with the ceiling mount and running cables as he's a carpenter/builder!

I'll let everyone know when I get it!

23. Simon55

Simon55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martyn, what sort of throw distances are you getting with the HS1, its looking like the one for me, and the 10 months credit looks good as well.

Just need to visulise what sort of image size will be achievable in my room.

Thanks

24. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using the 60inch screen that was supplied and the projector is sited 9ft away. Hope that is of some help.

Let me know if you need any more info.

25. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any futher thoughts Martyn? Is the lack of depth a real distraction or an adjustment?

26. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am watching films that I have seen many times and it's like they are new, there are so many things I haven't noticed before.

To put it into perspective, I was really impressed and excited with laserdiscs when I first watched one, then DVD's but this projector has surpassed them both. It really is a cinematic experience. I have never watched a Home Cinema projector set up before, only presentation events. It is the best piece of Home Cinema gear I have brought. I am looking forward to watching all my dvd's again.

I don't notice the lack of depth as such, only when comparing to my TV. I don't really want to make to many adjustments untill I get my decent s-video cable. Anyway I haven't got time, to busy watching DVD's:)

27. Simon55

Simon55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for that martyn, been following this thread with interest,

just yesterday i have got a good deal on an NEC VT440 which i am very impressed with, ex demo and only 150 hours on the clock, couldnt quite stretch to the £1800 for the HS1, but this gives a nice show to my eyes anyway :)