I have seen the light

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Following on from this post...

I've been continuing to take images of the various street lights in Guildford central square mile. I never realised how many different lights there could be...and I never realised what a challenge it would be to make them all look different and intresting. It's like taking portraits on inanimate objects! I wonder if doing them all in the same style would have made it more interesting to view or less....would certaily have made it easier to do. On the whole though it's been another interesting learning exercise. I've nearly completed it now...51 posted on flickr so far...here are a handful more.

3551199855_de412a3750.jpg

3559996956_b9d3a5c1e3.jpg

3559990650_ffe440813a.jpg

3559990474_4b2f9b364d.jpg

3553799289_2673e1fdfb.jpg

3562617521_6cbd50f84b.jpg

3563429676_11bcfe5d51.jpg

Paulie-W

No 2 looks like it's been beamed down :D #5 is my favourite of the set for its abstractness (if that's a word).

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
No 2 looks like it's been beamed down :D #5 is my favourite of the set for its abstractness (if that's a word).

Yes I thought it was TARDIS like....it's a housing for security cameras in an underpass...with ever changing coloured lighting on it...I've got lots of the same image with it different colours....

So you decided not to use the 5D ;)

Nice images a few stand out from the others. Love the liquid gold 'Guildford Lights Prt 4-4' image.

denno75uk

It certainly is interesting the portrait style applied to these lights. #'s 1, 3, 6 and 7 have been given a sort of personality. The sun behind #3 is superb.

achoudry

all good shots but think number 3 is my favourite!

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The last two were taken using a 5m extendable painters pole bought from a hardware store. I gaffer taped my tilting flashgun holder (removed form my light stand) on to the end of it to allow me to extend the G9 to 5m and also tilt it to the angle I wanted. I then worked out the ambient expsoure I wanted, turned the on camera flash on to full, manual focus around 20cm -1m dependant on shot, 10 second delay....and pressed the shutter...then it was hit and miss in getting the camera in the right spot for when the flash went off....

the second last one with the Cathedral in background was slightly different in that I was standing on a railing at top of a sloping car park site. I extended the pole to around 2-2.5m and used it as a monopod, hahahaha...what a laugh

Holowlegs

Hello there

The last two were taken using a 5m extendable painters pole bought from a hardware store. I gaffer taped my tilting flashgun holder (removed form my light stand) on to the end of it to allow me to extend the G9 to 5m and also tilt it to the angle I wanted. I then worked out the ambient expsoure I wanted, turned the on camera flash on to full, manual focus around 20cm -1m dependant on shot, 10 second delay....and pressed the shutter...then it was hit and miss in getting the camera in the right spot for when the flash went off....

the second last one with the Cathedral in background was slightly different in that I was standing on a railing at top of a sloping car park site. I extended the pole to around 2-2.5m and used it as a monopod, hahahaha...what a laugh

I would of loved to off seen this.:devil:

First off Gordon I am not going to lie to you, its not really my sort off thing.

But what I like about you you are always pushing yourself to try something different and I hope you keep it up.

Being an electrician for the past 1/4 of a century you have made me see these things in a different light.:rotfl:

The one that appeals to me is the 3rd one, with such a simple mind I can't explain why but I just like it.

Keep it up mate and not just your pole:devil: because although I don't always get it, I still enjoy looking.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

Cheers Holo

senu

Distinguished Member
Gordon certainly loves his cuves lines and Abstract themes..:cool:

I simply find them fascinating to watch though in real life Im blind to them .. I think it is a genre where you either have the ability to see it or you dont. I dont :suicide:
Thanks for sharing .. its amazing the lengths you went to get those last 2.. I did wonder if you went up with a ladder pretending be an Council electrician:rotfl:

Tobers

Got to say that this is a fantastic project you've got going. Full of inventiveness. Cant believe you were wandering around with your G9 on the top of a 5m pole - that's dedication!

I feel a book coming on!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom