1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have seen the future and its called KNOPPIX

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mjr600, May 1, 2003.

1. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fully functional beta Windows replacement running from a cd in ram. Its the best new OS I've seen in years, surfing using it now, contains everything you'd ever need and its free. If you want to know more post up and I'll see if I can help, its KNOPPIX 3.2

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mmmmmmm, Linux, now there's a further opportunity for tearing what little hair I have left out in chunks, screaming and crying :devil: .

Does the software you're running this with suppport your soundcard (which one) and does it play dvds??

I'd be interested in giving it a go for interest sake, prob on daughters machine which i'm in the midst of upgrading.

Cheers,

Sean G.

3. chriskenrick

chriskenrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, the online documentation is a bit scant. There is however, a program called xine, which is a DVD player, so playing DVDs with it should be possible. It should automatically detect hardware (soundcard, video card, etc), but possibly mightn't work for newer stuff. They also have MP3 support using a winamp-alike app called xmms. Could be useful for some HTPC stuff...

I keep meaning to try Knoppix, hear great things about it, but just haven't got to ordering/downloading it yet :(

4. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd advise a little caution. I recently tried booting a KNoppix CD on my W2K PC. It didn't actually boot all the way. I got the splash screen up and itr said it was checking hardware, but never got any further. Maybe it didn't like my Asus A7N266-VM MB.

Anyway, I rebooted and Windows wouldn't start. I tried to do a repair, but couldn't fix it. I ended up doing a re-install. I was about due for one to clear out all the crap on my system. Luckily I didn't lose data.

I'm guessing that Knoppix must have written something to the HD which is using NTFS that corrupted it. I thought it just worked in memory.

I still plan to have another shot at Linux some time, but I'll be using a spare PC next time.

--
    Steve
    www.bagofspoons.net