1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have recieved a Toshiba MT3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by compusolve, Jul 1, 2001.

1. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well your'e going to ask whats it like?

I have a sharp XV350H at the moment, I had a Sony VPL-CS2 for a short while.

All I can compare against are these.

The Toshiba is bold in its use of colour, very vibrant in fact I find sometimes too red. I have AVIA disk comming this week so will calibrate with that.
    Picture quailty is very good, although for once I think best in 16:9 mode, the blacks are good quite glossy.
    Pauls comments re vertical lines, I can see on televison picture off Digital TV, The Sharp projector has the chicken wire up front whilst this projector has no real chicken wire effect except sometimes this panel structure. Also on some scenes if the colour and sharpness are not set right you get quite a lot of pixelation or movement on light coloured objects only really aparent though TV viewing not DVD.
    My biggest concern at the moment is white balance, if you put the contrast to high whites come back at you with a vengence, I have found it hard to curtail this trait, hopefully the AVIA disk will help resolve.
    Against the Sony, the Toshiba is brighter and has better colours, The Sony looks green in comparison. God knows why Home Entertainment gave it such a good review.
    The Sharp projector has better blacks and good colour rendition, but is too dark.

So am I happy, Yes and No. Yes because I can easily live with any faults or problems with this projector, it sometimes looks awesome, other times it disapoints but only slightly.

To be fair I do need to set it up correctly. I just thought I would post my thoughts. I promise you if i thought it was crap I would tell you all no holds bared, Im not one of those guys who thinks just because they have got one its the best thing since sliced bread.

You might want to know how much I paid £2000 with an agreement any bad pixels and its going back, and there was none.

Hope this helps others come off the fence.

Garry

2. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Im using a sreens uk electric 2M 1.5 gain screen. The throw is fine in fact I want less as my room is 25ft long thank god it's got a zoom lens. I still have to move it closer to the screen though about 4.5-5 M on full zoom out to fill the screen.
    The fan noise is quieter than the Sharp and about the same as the Sony, not really a problem to me as when my sound system's on it doesnt bother me at all even in quiet scenes.
    There is a component feed via a vga type connector, someone has allready posted on this forum re MT1 and how they can feed a progressive signal to it.

3. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What about throw distance / image size / screen type that you are using?

Does it accept a progressive feed from a player?

How does the fan noise compare to your other units?

Cheers

JB

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear youve got your new projector.
    Just wondering, what are the differences between the mt1 and the mt3. I have the mt1 and i find it great.

5. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ninc0
    The differences seem to be and correct me if im wrong, lummens increased to 850 Lummens, Zoom lens, white finish instead of pearl, 400:1 contrast ratio, HDTV support, and I thinks thats about it, by the way using AVIA has improved everthing in the picture with litle line structure now and better resolution of colours.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,
    What's this "AVIA" disc everyone goes on about? Where can I get one? Is it really better after using the disc, as I would have thought adjusting until it looks o.k. would be fine.
    Also, what do you mean by the mt3 having a zoom lens? I thought all projectors had these. To my knowledge my mt1 has a manual one.
    :confused:

7. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok but AVIA is a calabration disc for both audio and video, VE or video essentials is also a calabration disc. To correctly set colour, brightness, hue, convergence and other setings like sharoness, using these discs you can calibrate the display device correctly at the thresholds of the display device's ultimate perfomance. I promise you although it may look okay to the eye it probably isn't, after setup with one of these discs it takes away some of the guess work, and stops you forever fiddling (you wish).
    Regarding the zoom lens I thought MT1 did not have one.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, my mt1 has got a manual zoom lens.
    Just wondering, where can I get an AVIA disc?
    I've just mounted my mt1 on the ceiling, now its out of the way and its better for letting people walk around without blocking the light out.
    ;)

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digiman

After lurking on the messageboards for a while , I have taken the plunge and ordered an MT3 . Similarily , sight unseen as I'm based in Jersey . Can you give me any initial setup advise based on your experiences ? I would be particularily interested to know how you have mounted the projector and what connections you have for Sky Digi etc .

10. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    MT1 and probably MT3 best used with an HTPC for a superb picture