1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have recently taken delivery of my SIM2 Domino 30H.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    As above, I have recently taken delivery of my SIM2 Domino 30H :D

Here are my thoughts -

Firstly, to make you aware, I am currently driving the image with a Denon 2900 DVD deck connected with the AVforums power buy Mark Grant component cable.

Ok, upon taking the projector out of the box, I became very aware of the sheer class and build quality of this machine. Quite frankly out of all of the projectors I have owned, the 30H is streets ahead in both overall quality and feel as well as looks and the Sony HS50 was no slouch. The highly polished jet-black finish is both minimal and classic, something I love. I am very aware that fellow SIM2 owners will be surfing here and they will be very aware of how good the SIM2 range is. However, potential upgraders note that when in position, the machine clearly looks and feels like the £5k machine it was/is marketed as. Nice. I do need to stop asking girls back to my place to 'see my PJ' though :D

All of the usual connections are available, including composite, s-video, computer RGB, VGA, component and notably HDMI with sound – there is an optical out to feed multi-channel sound to your amp if required. Note that the vertical lens shift is a great bonus when setting up the image - if required.

Onto the performance and in a word, WOW

The progressive component driven image is fantastic and the quoted contrast ratio is perfectly adequate to my eyes. Having ran AVIA just the other day I was surprised to find that the image was incredibly close to Guys recommended settings, which for me, is a first for a machine straight out of the box.

Surely, this proves that the folks at SIM2 do actually look at and tweak the machines individually before boxing them up, unlike some of the bigger Japanese players/companies we could mention :lesson: (box shifters??)

The black level is superb and the on screen colours are life like, well saturated and the level of detail on show is superb - which does relate the 720 status. My current favourite test desk is The Football Factory due to the close up work. Fantastic. I am currently projecting onto a six-foot screen from about 10 feet away, which is not ideal, as the throw is not being utilised correctly - so the image does not fill the screen totally. However, I am moving next week and I am putting my AV gear into a larger room so the long throw of the 30H will be ideal for me. In fact, I may upgrade to either a seven or an eight-foot screen, dependant on how it feels when sat down.

Overall, I am over the moon with my product, which is leaps and bounds ahead of the budget machines that I had previously owned. However, they were all good projectors and I decided to buy this as I found myself in the lucky position of having some disposable income that I could use for the 30H.

My decision to buy the SIM2 30H was aided by three things.

The overall glowing reviews that the SIM2 range consistently get. Sure, sometimes they have been described as over-priced, but like anything in life, you pay for what you get. The Sony HS50 cannot even begin to hold a candle to this machine.

Jeff at Horsham HI-FI. Forum name is RTFM. I started tentative discussion via email and telephone with Jeff about three weeks ago. Jeff was always able answer my questions and advise me on what was the right purchase for me. Without over egging the pudding, I can safely say that Horsham Hi-fi and Jeff are a credit to SIM2 and the AV retail industry overall. I shall never look for another PJ dealer :smashin:

The customer service offered from SIM2 UK. I was interested to note that SIM2 projectors have been described as a life purchase. Realistically, you need never buy another machine. The support, dedication and service offered by SIM2 UK are again exemplary and something that other companies would be wise to imitate. Having met Alan at the Bristol show I was impressed by the demo and his attention to detail and obvious passion for his product as well as his honesty regarding the inherent weakness of DVD software that can make a great PJ look poor. Also, pointing out what to look for on screen rather than paper.That says it all really.

In summary, I finally have the unit that I have always craved and I do expect to own this for a long long time yet. Incidentally, the SIM2 remote control engine down loaded to my Harmony multi-remote no problem.

Next stop HDMI or HTPC. It never ends does it!!!!

Here are a selection photos taken earlier. I am currently watching/surfing with the region 3 super-bit special edition of Black Hawk Down playing :cool: What is great as I keep looking at the image thinking about how clean it is....no VB, panel misalingment, colour uniformity issues..blah blah blah. Just a highly filmic image to rival cineworld. :clap:

Thanks for reading.

Captain Benefit.

2. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could almost have written exactly the same thing - word for word! I've had mine a couple of weeks, and bought through Jeff too. I've got an 8 foot Sim screen and the pj is about 20 feet back.

It is just amazing. And at the moment I'm using a £130 (good) Tosh DVD player.

I have had demo's of projectors for years but the PQ was just not there. Finally had a demo of the 30H and I couldn't believe that it was better than cinema quality. I also had a demo of the Euro 1080i feed and thought, I just dont need anything better than that. I can see it lasting quite a few years with HD DVD and Hi Def Sky around the corner. I guess a 3 chip 1080p DLP projector for sub 5k might change my mind, but how far away is that...

Thanks Sim2!

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    I've always thought the Sim2 range had better colours and image processing compared to anything else I've seen, and I saw it first hand at Jeffs when I went for a demo of the NEC HT1000 (and IF X1 & Sharp Z90e) 2 years ago. The little low res HT200DMF looked better!

I came away with the HT1000 because the higher res (for my seating distance) and throw suited my installation better, and the Sim was £1000 more expensive. I don't think cost would be the case now though - the 30H is the same price as the 200DMF was exactly 2 years ago!

The current Sim2 price reductions of late can only be a good thing IMHO, as it now brings this level of quality to a larger market, and that can only be a good thing. :)

Glad to see you managed to finaly get a great pj that didn't have any problems Pete. No wonder you're over the moon!

Gary.

4. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Glad to see one of my ex component cabes being used and also glad to see you went to Jeff - another of my recommendations. Top chap.
    Enjoy the projector - and watch some films. Enjoy !

5. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +820
    Hook up your p.c install Theatretek and ffdshow to the HDMI input, and you will be practically watching hi definition, takes it to another level. :devil: Enjoy.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Sea surfer,

Please explain..??!!?!?

Cap.

7. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There's no doubt about it, a well setup HCPC will give you as good a picture as you can squeeze out of a DVD and of course it's emminently upgradeable when Blue Ray and HD DVD drives come along from Sony and Toshiba later this year.

Jeff :rtfm:

8. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +820
    Running a DVD from my Arcam DV88 to the Sim 30H produces an exellent picture using very good quality cables, i proabably would be still in awe at the picture it displays, untill deciding to run a few cables from my p.c to my 30H.

I decided a few months back to purchase Theatretek after reading as much as i could on various forums on Theatretek and FFDshow, after quite a bit of tweaking, i have a picture which is in my opinion about 30 -40% better in my opinion to the Arcam, even using the latest Nvidea decoders that come with Theatretek make any DVD picture pretty soft, even after callibrating with Avia.

Using Theatretek with the FFDshow setting in the configuration box, brings the picture to life much sharper images a more 3D feel to the picture, it takes a little bit of tweaking but once set up with the right version of FFDshow the picture is unbelivable, Using clips from film's like Star Trek Inressurection, Lord Of The Rings and the Fith Element, The Images are near enougth to Hi/DEF as you can get, you actually feel as if you can put your arm behind thei mage, watched The Fith Element last night and my wife asked if it was a HI/DEF disc.

I am not an expert just an enthusiast how love's this hobby, i have been to HI FI Home Cinema shows and stared at amazements at some of the displays i have seen, but never thought i could achieve in my home, i no the Sim helps with producing a good image, but as i say, switching from display's tells the story. :smashin:

9. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Seasurfer,

I to am using 30H with Theatertek and FFDshow, what settings have you got on FFDshow. I've just started with this programme and it's a tweakers paradise!

I have had outstanding results with my 30H, my main priority was audio, but the Sim2 has certainly screamed "look at me"!!!

ATB

Darren

10. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Which chip does the 30H use ? Is it an HD2+ or DC3 ?

11. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Edgeyboy,

The 30H uses the HD2+ chip. The DC3 chip is used in the 300E I beleive.

Simon

12. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Thanks Simon. Is it the HD2+ Mustang then ?

13. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello Edgeyboy,

Specs. say HD2+ DMD chip 1280 x 720.
    Check out www.sim2.co.uk. Take the 'International' option under 'Video Entertainment'.

Hope this helps, best Simon

14. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I have to agree with the above comments.

I bought my sim2 from Jeff he is the best guy in the business for me, helpful even managed to talk the missus round!

If only I could afford a hdmi pj life would be grand!

Phil

15. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Just got my HDMI DVD deck and lead this week and testing tonight.

Will update my review shortly.

Cap :)