1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have my new Gamecube but..............

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by pizzed-monkey, Dec 6, 2001.

1. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    ......It got shipped so fast from the US (3 Days) that it caught me by surprise and its come before any games from DVDboxoffice and other controllers and memorycards I've ordered. :(

.....but the question I have is where can I get a stepdown transformer from thats gonna cope with the gamecube ( I'm based in central london)?

I've heard rumours of cheap stepdowns blowing under the strain of gamecubes and X-box things......is this true?

Cant wait to be able to play the damn thing!
    cheers!

BTW if your interested I paid just under 200 quid with all shipping INCLUDED for a sealed black cube, a bit more than somepeople I think, but it still blows away UK import shop prices:)

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you want to head to a maplins (there is one on Holborn opposite Chancery Lane) or just go to Computer Exchange (Rathbone Place by Tottenham Court Road) - They will do memory cards controllers, etc. - For a price.

HTH

3. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from Skill in Ealing Broadway on 020 8567 9174- they also do controllers and memory card at more expensive but relatively reasonable prices.

The GameCube needs 48w to run- and they recommended a 200w one to be sure- Ive had no problems whatsoever, and their service is excellent and very knowledgable.

4. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and it only took me 75 minutes return from St Pauls tube

5. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    cheers jim....

...do computer exchange sell the step downs for the inflated price they put on everything else though? what sort of price is reasonable for a step down, i've never had to buy one before.........

:confused:

6. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ...what sort of price was your transformer duncan?

I've seen people paying 50 quid on the internet but assumed this was too steep....

cheers for the help offered to the new Kid!
    ;)
    pizzed-monkey

7. NicolaUK

NicolaUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid £20 for mine from CEX online :)

Just need the GC to go with it now :rolleyes:

Edit that! It came today :) But I have to pick it up from the PO in the morning :clown:

8. magikkk

magikkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Monkey

Where did you get your Gamecube from in the states? That sounds like a good deal to me

9. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it was about £20-£25, I bought a couple of memory cards and extension leads and lost the receipt- but it cant be much more than that or the other stuff cost next to nothing!!!

10. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    magikkk,

......it was a private seller through US ebay, lurked for a while then placed a last second bid at not much more than the shop price! Luckily she worked in the US postoffice as well so I didn't get done on postage and packing.....even got a tracking number for the cube as well!:) Loadsa of private buyers brought them as an investment before christmas and are flogging them off now.......but some of the cubes on there are going for alot more than shop price so watch out....

monkey tips:
    .....if you want to do it this way just do a bit of investigating into the seller and how much they charge to ship, and always try and be online when the auction is ending for that sneaky last minute bid! US ebay is alot more cut-throat than the UK site!
    :devil:

cheers!
    monkey

PS. just read my first post at that should of said 200 quid INCLUDING postage, not postage extra! :D ....it was about 165 quid for just the cube.

11. magikkk

magikkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Monkey :)

12. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats your impressions on the GC now that you own one?
    is it what you expected or much more than that?

BTW: did you order the GC from TAU? (I seem to remember a post where you mentioned TAU).

Anne

13. NicolaUK

NicolaUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only picked it up this morning and am still at work so won't get to play for a few hours yet :(

I can't believe how small it is! :eek:

Yes I got it from TAU :)

I'll post again later when I've had a chance to play!

14. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent, hope you are all having fun with your new toys, while I have to wait for my credit card to stop glowing before I can get one..

I want to play with Monkey balls [ahem]

Has everyone been surprised by how small it is?

Oh, and can I reccomend Skill in Ealing also, they are very friendly and knowledgable - I missed a couple of lectures at uni because of having a chat on the phone to them about some game I had just enjoyed.

15. NicolaUK

NicolaUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim, go for it!

I haven't played with the balls yet, waiting for it to be shipped :blush:

I've only had about 1/2 hr on Luigi so far, it's fantastic, exceeded my expectations and I'm not easliy impressed!

16. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my cube from a chap on E Bay yesterday cost me £210 including shipping (no customs for some reason not complaining though)
    i got Wave Race, Rogue leader and luigis mansion (extra controller and mem card)

first impressions:
    Rogue leader looks incredible i cant believe they put it together in only 8 months i just cant wait til they start there next project without nintendo rushing them should be even better, anyway it also plays great too very impressed
    Wave Race: WOW what water efects so clear and realistic i love the way the water splashes on the screen during storms great efect, controls are a little harder than the original but once you pick it up its as fun as it ever was on the n64
    Luigis Mansion: bought for my sis not played too much but the lighting efects are the best i have seen to date on any console very nice indeed.

17. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont you just love it though in Wave Race when the wave level drops on the beach level after lap one and you come screaming around the corner and find that wreck has surfaced and you cant make the ramp and.......SMACK!!!!! 1st place to 8th in 1 second.