• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I have lost TV signal but Labgear PSM114E/S has green light on

BubbleBlower

Standard Member
Hi and thanks in advance for your assistance.

I have lost all TV channels but the Labgear PSM114E/S still has a green light showing on it. Is the PSU still potentially faulty or should I be looking elsewhere in the system?

My aerial is in the loft and connected to a Maxview mast head amplifier. The PSU failed several years ago so was replaced by the Labgear and it has been fine until very recently when we lost a few channels and started getting a lot of broken signals making some channels unwatchable. Then this weekend it failed completely.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Go over all the cables and connection with a fine toothed comb... look for any stray whisker of wire between centre conductor and the screening braid.
Also check for damage to any cables (e.g. rodents chewing them).
Check if aerial has moved/been moved by things being put in loft...
Consider if neighbour's loft may have had something placed to block the signal to your aerial or building works such as scaffolding very nearby, or even trees coming into leaf.

Depending on signal levels in loft, bypass the aerial into one TV feed (remove psu first as the aerial dipole will be a DC short) to check that seems OK?

Green led is power indicator, and the psu output is short circuit and overload protected. Labgear don't state if led goes out if there's problem on the output. I've had an amp fail but the led continued to be lit (albeit very slightly dimmer than normal).

BubbleBlower

Standard Member
Nobody has been in the loft and there is no neighbour's loft in the way of the aerial. Unsure why a wire would suddenly become stray but just in case I have redone all of the connections, other than in the loft and checked all cables. No trees nearby either.

By bypass the aerial I presume you mean bypass the amp in the loft, which is easier said than done, but I will endeavour to do it if that is the next stage.

If it is the PSU what would you suggest as a replacement?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Nobody has been in the loft and there is no neighbour's loft in the way of the aerial. Unsure why a wire would suddenly become stray but just in case I have redone all of the connections, other than in the loft and checked all cables. No trees nearby either.

By bypass the aerial I presume you mean bypass the amp in the loft, which is easier said than done, but I will endeavour to do it if that is the next stage.

If it is the PSU what would you suggest as a replacement?

Normally it's just needs the input cable and the output cable disconnecting and plugging into each other unless it uses f connectors. If so all you need is a F barrel connector. Don't forget to disconnect the power supply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Satell...ocphy=1007011&hvtargid=pla-657322492075&psc=1

TJT1

Distinguished Member
Might be easier said than done, but needs doing as if you get a good(ish) signal there, then it's the amp/psu or a duff connection that's at fault.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Cables expand and contract with heat and cold. In some cases damp gets in as condensation... all can mean a formerly good connection becomes bad. Also rodents can get in loft spaces and gnaw pipes and cables (I have the T-shirt on that one).

So yes you do need to go into the loft to check things. Or get someone in to do so.

If you have a multimeter, and know how to use it, you may be able to check the PSU is outputting 12 Volts DC... but it could be OK with no load and faulty with the amp connected (though there are ways to check with it connected if you don't mind 'bodging' a temporary cable to permit that).

Does any of your your TVs or a PVR have an 'antenna power' option in the (usually tuning) menus? If so removing the PSU and connecting that TV/PVR to the cable may provide power to the Maxview amplifier and make things work (if the PSU is the problem). NB They are often only 5V rather than 12V but many amps will work at the lower voltage.

EDIT Proception are well thought of makers of amps and psus with decent RF screening F Type Masthead Amplifier Power Supply 1 Way Amplifier Power Supply In Line Power Supply
But it's equally likely to be the Maxview :censored: that has failed; or a connection issue.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
If I remember correctly the amp doesn't use connectors, the leads are direct into the box

The device you are referring to is not the amplifier at all it's just the power supply for the no doubt loft mounted actual amplifier. And this also uses f connectors.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-...VTrvtCh0Xugp9EAQYASABEgJnNvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

To remove the power supply simply unplug it and disconnect the 11mm F plug out and in connectors and connect them with the barrel connector linked to above.

F connector - Wikipedia

This means it's anyone's guess what make and model the the remote UHF amplfier actually is. It might be a labgear device or similar from lots of other makers.

You need to look at the actual amplifier which is likely to be in the loft and either take a photograph or post the make and model number.

Personally I would always recommend Vision Kit and aerials. Labgear is not particulary good quality kit.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Maxview :: Home Amplifiers current ones use F-plugs.

I had a mains distribution amp that used saddle clamps and screw terminals... Maxview may well have done that back in the day, especially on amps designed to be outside (masthead waterproof boxes) where TV plug/sockets would not be suitable?

F-plugs on TV distribution kit is commonplace only relatively recently (maybe 2000 on?).

Proception is the brand Justin @ ATV aerials recommends. Vision kit is good, too I think.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom