1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have had the call

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by blzbob, Mar 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Hurrah - a week off watching the cricket has paid off. SKY phoned me at home (despite me asking them to use my mobile) with the no £10 offer.

The offer £249 (I could have pushed for £199 but I was too pleased to get the call to care) and no £10 ever provided I stay on the top movie + sport package. (Note: I am out of contract)

Given the number of people recieving the offer so far I reckon they are box clearing ready for the new smaller box. Rather than retention I think they are trying to maintain people on the top tier for revenue maximisation (I don't buy the retention argument as they are a monopoly (NTL are so bad they don't count as competition .:devil: )). They are probably targetting high value(top tier) churn risk(out of 12 month contract)

I was seriously looking at the purchase anyway (was awaiting the new smaller box) as I have surround sound(5.1) + never use my VCR (I actually removed it last week).

Hope the box they give me works (and is quiet). I sense a 36" widescreen TV upgrade to celebrate my good fortune. ;)

2. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Congrats...........you mention you asked them to phone your mobile do i deduct from this statement that you actually asked for the deal and they came good:confused: Or was you just lucky and they phoned you by chance?

3. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    i hope i also get this call then !!

4. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I hadn't previously called but I always put my mobile as the preferred number. I reckon they had been phoning my home number for a while (but I am rarely home during office hours and I suspect they wouldn't want to leave a message or caller ID) so its just lucky.

Seriously, if you are on the top package + out of contract and interested I would give them a call at customer services and threaten to move your package down if they don't give you the sky+ offer (don't be nasty as the normal operator probably can't make the call but give them the ultimatum of a week to "give" you the call or you switch down). In terms of takeup it saves them having to make ten calls to people saying no to get a hit. Given their low churn levels I still think its old Sky+ box clearing before the new lot come out so when they are gone they are gone.

The "special" number I was given was 08702 400 881 but I think that is for calls to accept after the free trial.

5. pbess

pbess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just phoned up and I was offered the following (once my initial 12 month contract expires next month)...

Sky+ Box - £199
    Installation including moving original box to 2nd Room - £60
    or
    Only Sky+ installation - £50

However they've stated that I'd have to take out an extra £15 per month subscription, for the second box, in-order to NOT pay the Sky+ £10 subscription.

This offer isn't good enough for me, as I have no use for a 2nd box.

6. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    blzbob - is that the same thing they offered you to not have to pay the £10 per month sky+ subscription?

7. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    was dubious about this offer and having just ordered sky + last week after being assured no such offer was around, rang them again and this time they admitted this offer existed but was only offered at random and there was no way to add your name to list. ( stupid that they ring around chasing people who have no interest yet ignore those that want it) don't know whether to cancel and hope for them to ring me, the lady took pleasure in reminding me they have 8 million customers and chances of getting the call was slim P****D OFF:mad:

8. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope as far as the guy on the phone said I have to pay £249 + install of £40-60 (only if I take up the 5 week offer - if I give it all back its free).

Then as long as I stay on the top package I pay no monthly fee. so vs the other offer I pay more upfront but make it back in the long run(suits me). Pleased to see someone admits to doing it.

I doubt if they will allow you on it just for asking as they would get too much take-up (I still think it is a box clearance issue so this offer will disappear in the next month or so).

It is also genuinely good market research for them if they offer it at "random". Then they can monitor those like me, those who buy and pay and those who get the call and turn it down to see how they churn/move up and down packages etc. The box clearance is a "good" excuse to get some MR results out. You never know 6 months down the line they may come up with an "lifetime" fee of £150 (they probably tried this on some people).

The finances of "giving" the £10/month away (or £15 on the 2 box) vs keeping people on the top package don't really stack up in my head, so I doubt if they will continue the offer once the boxes are cleared. But given the HD recorder products + competition, they will probably have to start the alternative model of subsidising the box(or cheaper smaller boxes ;) ) at the £99 pricepoint to maintain the £10 which over the long term will make them more dosh as that of course doesn't give anything to the customers already on the package. :devil: