1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have given up watching football and cricket

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Fast Jon, May 25, 2005.

1. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah, I'm getting old and crotchety, but I've now given up watching footie and cricket due to the crap camera work, more specifically the obsession with over-zooming.
    Cricket: In the good ol' days the camera would zoom in to follow behind the bowler, stopping when he reached the crease. It was a straightforward task for the cameraman to pick up the ball once it had been hit. Now the camera keeps zooming after the ball has been bowled; there then follows a mad series of pans while the camera wallah tries to find the ball. Result - a headache.
    Football: They haven't cocked up the regular run-of-play coverage yet, but the action replays are a joke for the same reason: camera geezer is zoomed in so tight that the action replay usually misses the ball going into the net.
    Next thing you know, they'll be using the music video cut technique (switch camera every 0.7 sec) during regular run of play.
    Thanks. Rant over.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I guess you hate player cam then:)

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Watch Sky channel 855 instead :smashin:

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Those behind the player view on penatly kicks really ANNOY me.

They completely lose perspective on TV.

It may look natural if you're there but NOT on a 2d TV screen!

5. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    I thought it was just me.
    My biggest bugbear in the footie are the corners. you have close-ups of the taker, his shoes, face and run up. Then you have a split second or less when the camera cuts to the ball in the penalty box. by the time you have mentally adjusted or got your bearings on where the ball is, the crucial bit of action has ended. Why can't they just show it all from the mid distance camera shot so you can see the kick, trajectory of the ball, positioning of players and outcome etc in one continuous shot.
    My other bugbear is snooker. Anyone who plays the game knows how crucial the control of the white ball is. So you are watching the player taking a shot and seeing if he can get position on his next shot. Thats when the camera director decides to give you a close-up of his nose or bridge hand or, most annoying of all, the ultra close-up of the pocket from the low angle so it look like the ball is coming towards you and smacks into the pocket. They love this shot. I would be happy if the whole match was covered in the ordinary but effective overhead camera shot.

I'm convinced camera directors believe they have to keep chopping and changing to impress the viewer. Someone should tell them the old saying "less is more" or take them off sport and let them make MTV videos.

I'm going to have a lay down now

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Also on live games where they linger too long on shots of the manager/bench on the sidelines when the action is still going on !
    The 'buffer' shots that they use to break up the action in the highlight programme!

Also, why don't British camera crews ever show close ups of nice totty in the crowd like their foreign colleagues do at World Cups and Euro Championships.

All we get is ugly, beer bellied men! :rolleyes: