• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

i have downloaded something and it needs xvid

kopchoir

Banned
as title i have downloaded something that needs xvid i have downloaded xvid i think but it still doesnt work anyone help

t1m103

kopchoir

Banned
its all this codec rubbish im not clued up on i understand the principles of the codecs kind of thing i.e you need teh relevant code to play it but still lost im now trying mr incredibles link

t1m103

whats the file your trying to play?

Razor

Distinguished Member
D

Deleted member 39241

Stay away from codec packs in my opinion, try and keep your PC as free from un-needed stuff as possible. Divx codec will also playback xvid files, but I recommend this decoder:

Xvid Codec

More information at www.xvid.org. Once installed you should be able to play the file back in Windows Media Player, or any other player on your system.

Last edited by a moderator:

GETanner

Another vote for VLC as a good player. It does not require codecs to be install to play xvid files, thus making it nice and neat.

I assume you're using Windows Media Player to try and view the file. Even with the correct codec installed, it can be a hassle to get it to work.

The codec for xvid can be obtained here http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Koepi_XviD.htm though I would strongly suggest you get VLC and use that instead.

WMP does like to hijack file-type settings and even with VLC installed, you may have to right-click the file and select "open-with" and then choosing VLC from the available list rather than double-clicking the file.

G

kopchoir

Banned
have just deleted the file and will try and download again in a different format thanks for all the help
mods close

sore napper

If your DVD Player can play Divx there's a good chance that it will play xvid and avi files.

If it does play these, burn the file as a data disc and play in the dvd player.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom