1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have ditched analogue, anybody else?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mart.stokes, Feb 7, 2002.

1. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading a few of the threads here I suddenly realised that there are many people watching analogue TV WHEN they have an alternative installed. I was a little shocked by this.

About 12 months ago I ripped all of my RF analogue stuff out, the only RF cable in the house goes from the back of my Sky digibox to a TV in the bedroom. Okay, it means I haven't been watching ITV for 12 months until recently but I didn't feel I had missed much anyway. Now I appreciate that ITV Digital viewers still need this stuff in place but..........

am I unusual in what I have done? None of the analogue channels on my TVs or video are tuned in, it's a dead technology as far as I am concerned.

I am not claiming to be right (or wrong), I just wondered how many people still relied on analogue when they have Sky Digital installed?

Missing in action: RF cable from the loft to Sky digibox, RF cable from digibox to VCR, RF cable from VCR to TV.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't have sky+ then how are you going to watch beeb one and tape sky one ? unless you wander upstars and watch it in the bedroom.

I would get earache from 'er indoors - why are you wasting electricty watching the sky box when you can watch on the telly without the skybox turned on. Cos I can watch them in widescreen, but Ok lets save 10p per year :-(

I've actually got RF into an 8x booster so I can pipe it around the house to the mono TVs in the various rooms, kitchen , conservatory, bedroom, guest bedroom, Fitness Room, Office. Home Cinema Room.

Using anything other than RF would cost me a fortune. Unless somebody knows otherwise.

Before you say Arrrggggghhhh why pipe RF into your home cinema - cos thats all I've got. I've got a dedicated room for my LD/DVD etc but the digibox is in the living room. Hardly ever use that facility (watch a match with 5 channel stereo is about it) so didn't want the hassle of putting the digibox in the HC room and having to pipe to the living room. Anyway I haven't a phone point in the HC room so Sky wouldn't like it anyway.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am amazed how many people still watch analogue even tho' they have Sky Digital (not many people have ITV Digital round here).

This was confirmed the other day when the local Oxford transmitter had a major outage during the early evening. The following day at work I overheard several conversation that went along the lines of "I had to change to Sky last night to watch BBC1" and such like, with the other channels.

Personally, I wouldn't have even noticed but my wife refuses to use digital teletext so we had to switch to BBC2 to get the latest Rugby news.

I also asked someone with Sky if they were annoyed with the ever present "i PRESS RED" logo during the BBC's coverage of the Six Nations. They hadn't noticed it! How could you not notice the Bl***y thing? I asked. Turns out they were watching terrestrial coverage! Unbelieveable.

DaveP

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I now only have 2 sources hooked up to my amp & TV:
    Sky+ (TV & recording)
    Pioneer 545 (DVD/MP3/CD)

Makes the kit rack a bit tidier too...

Cheers,
    Liam

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I watch almost all digital, but tape mainly analogue

My TV has its own internal DVB-T tuner

6. Alan Westy

Alan Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I still use it sometimes to avoid the onscreen logo's. I'm in a good reception area and the picture is better than sky digital.

Alan

7. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I tended to use analogue even though I had ITVDigital. Instant channel changes & instant teletext access were the main advantages. Picture quality where I live was pretty even between the two. Disadvantage of analogue was in not getting a 16x9 picture - just a 14x9 frame. I would only switch to digital if there was something worthwhile such as 'Walking with Beasts', so much of todays television is of such a transient nature I can't think of any other program offhand that I felt deserved the W/S treatment. Frankly when I'm watching the news or the Mrs is watching Eastenders I never feel it matters (and neither does MrsH).

I have only now booked a $ky install because of March1st - The first session of the 2002 Australian GP on F1TV.

I can see myself continuing to use analogue for most TV though. (and yes, I have a W/S RPTV).

8. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The only time my TV goes onto analogue is after the BBC1 news, because they haven't got round to adding Look East to the new regional digital service. Once thats happend my aerial on a 20' loose pole is comming down, any more of this wind and it might come down before:eek:

9. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of the posts above prove a theory that I know exists but have never seen proven myself. The fact that a good analogue broadcast is at least as good as a (low bit rate Sky) digital one.

I have never seen a GOOD analogue picture in my life. I live too close to a transmitter and the ghosting etc. is just terrible. I never got round to sorting it out and I now feel that I don't have to!

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am all Analogue just to be different. Love my 'new' ARCAM NICAM Tuner, best modern development in tv IMHO.:D

Seriously I have yet to see any digital signal that I like so haven't bothered to date. Just wish someone would make a quality box and SKY ITV Digital would increase the bit rates of their broadcasts.

Sky + does look interesting however, but the cost...

11. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When i moved all my stuff into a different room i had to re-route the sky co-ax, and not being arsed to drill 2 holes in the wall, i went with Sky only. I never watched ITV beforehand and i don't watch it now. I'm all digital baby, none of that dead technology for me thankyouverymuch. :p

The only time i get a clash with the stuff i watch is Thursdays (Buffy/Angel/Friends/ER/Scrubs), but thankfully E4 are nice decent broadcasters (unlike spiteful $ky) and repeat it all again on Sunday.

12. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try channel 103. You can watch ITV all you like.

13. Jeg72

Jeg72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the following setup

Panasonic 21inch TV
    Sony VTX 760 Digibox

The picture on analogue is very good, switch to Sky and you immediately notice its all gone a bit more fuzzy (like a VHS recording) and the colour looks washed out. I'm using a high quality SCART connection as well !

Has anyone experienced this?

Does anyone have the Sony Digibox?

Can anyone help ?:(

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Analogue is a better picture than digital, providing you get a good reception. This much is true, along with NICAM stereo sound compared to digital audio (not 5.1).

I have found the quality of digital (Cable) to be VERY inconsistent. From downright UNWATCHABLE (footy on ITV) to SUPERB (Sky Movie channels and BBC1).

I hope they never switch off analogue. It will be sorely missed.

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    With a decent broadcast - eg BBC when they get it right Digital is way superior to Analogue - why, Anamorpic, no ghosting, anamorphic, bypasses SVM, anamorphic, no PAL nasties on ties, anamorphic, more stable picture, more stable colour.

Only problem is lowish bitrates on some channels (News24) - could be fixed by putting Muxes 1 & 2 onto 3 muxes

Note : BBC is reckoned to be better on DVB-T than DVB-S, from what I've seen I believe it, also IDTVs appear to be better than seperate boxes.

16. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Telewest digital, and have ditched analogue entirely. I did the deed when I moved house.

At least you guys with sky actually have teletext - it is 'coming soon' from Telewest and has been for an age.

The picture is very variable, with bbc and sky one generally ok, but stuff like paramount is virtually unwatchable because the picture freezes every few seconds.

oh well...

17. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Says the man with the DVD32R... ;)

Seriously, though, it is so convenient - whenever you see something on the EPG you want to watch just press the "R" button. No searching for a spare tape with enough space.

Also Series Link (on Sky - BBC & C4 don't seem to have cottoned on yet, which is a shame as I would have managed to get all of Farscape if they had) is dead handy.

Twin tuners too - on Thursday nights I record Buffy/Angel and watch Friends - without Sky+ I'd have to wait till Sunday to see the repeats.

And when I have a spare hour or two in an evening I can just go to the Planner page and see what I have recorded, rather than having to remember what I've taped recently.

Cheers,
    Liam

18. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I too only use digital now (Sky that is, not crappy ITV!), and what annoys me is that I have just bought a new TV and I am probably paying extra for features I do not ever need to use, i.e. auto tuning, smartlink, Fastext etc... I might as well just buy a monitor!:devil:

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Liam

Fair comments, I am very interested in both TIVO and SKY +, particularly the latter. Hence the watchful eye here. Now with 5.1, HD recorder and SVideo outputs it looks a very formidable piece of kit. However when I buy into digital I don't want poorer sound and picture. The proposed house move has also limited my enthusiasm for getting it now.

Pace's Sky + have addressed most of my concerns, now they just need improve picture and sound QUALITY for my £300 + £40 month.

The ARCAM is 10 years old, have we made no progress in quality in 10 years?:(

20. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well on my 26month old TV I use its own tuner, its own teletext and all three Scarts.

And I still haven't seen a better picture with seperate boxes, I think the upper market IDTVs use better components

21. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic, you say:

I find the Sky+ picture quality lots better than on my other Digiboxes (Grundig and Pace) and the sound from the optical out is stunningly good!

DaveP

22. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Dave

I am sure the SKY + is the best of the bunch but I still see better pictures from analogue. It would all be far simpler with digital but currently I see better analogue pictures.:(

23. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We got sky installed last weekend and all members of the house (4 blokes) all agree that it is the best picture quality we have seen in London.

We have lived in 3 locations ; north, west, and east london (zone one) over the past year. The skydigital quality is jaw dropping in comparison to what we have seen. goodbye analogue