I have around £550 to spend on an LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Light Sleeper, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am finally getting rid of an old Sony 6 foot deep Trinitron.

I have a budget of around £550 to spend on a 32" LCD. I have been doing some research but would like a little expert advice.

I won't be using it for gaming just TV and DVD.

All I want is a great TV....

Thanks in advance for your advice.

:smashin:

2. sauluk

sauluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I dont know why but these posts dont seem to get much of a reponse, people would much rather refer you to an old thread 100's of pages long.

Ill give my two cents however, i've been looking for an LCD TV for quite a while now, i think if you just want it for SD (standard definition) TV and DVD's then it might be worth going for the likes of the Panasonic LXD70 series as its 100Hz although it is a bit more than the price youve set out:
    http://www.electrosaver.co.uk/produ...7;20TV&Product=Television&productid=TX32LXD70

Other than that you could just go for a 32" Samsung (R74 or R87), these are quite cheap and tend to be very popular. The other choice is probably a Toshiba 32WLT68. Have a bit of a browse on the net for some prices & reviews. If you can aswell go and have a look at some sets and see which you prefer.
    Hope this helps!

3. chrissyman

chrissyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    good advice.

my sony wega 32 died recently, and after some thought i bought a bravia 32 S2030 from play.com for 599 and after some tweaking as the default settings are way too much! i am now getting a very good picture from freeview and sky.

dvd and ps2 look stunning.

this model seems to be sold out now,replaced by the S2530 which has 2 hdmi's
    and even better picture but is £729 but if you could stretch it, a fine choice.

there is the 32 U series at £579 inc delivery which i have seen in action at my local tesco extra and looks great with the bbc hd feed and tesco want 699 for it:( take a look at play.com

4. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    If its just TV and DVD, then I highly recommend:

Toshiba 32C3030D

5. scoob111

scoob111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    chrissyman How is the S2030 for handling fast motion, ie football? Any blur or smearing? I have been thinking of getting the S2530.

Light Sleeper, If you can't afford the £676 for the PANASONIC TX32LXD70 then for a lot less you could go for the model it replaced the PANASONIC TX32LXD60.

A very good TV is the Samsung LE32N73BD it is £584 from RGB direct and you could try JL to price match it to get their 5 year warranty, a bargain at that price. :smashin:

6. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I would have thought that the answer to that is quite obvious. The same question gets asked 5 times a day, and regular contributors get tired of answering the same question:

What's the best TV to buy for £500/550/600/650/700?

Searching for these threads or being bothered to read past the first page of thread titles can find you the exact answers you want, without even having to post anything.

7. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yeah its true, everybody created new thread.

If you want to buy a new TV here's a very good guide from Nielo:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4729886#post4729886

There was a debate in S series Sony thread, when I said my 40V2500 is better than S series in the wide colour gamut etc, but apparently they proved that their S series is the same as my V series.

I think the blurry on my Sony is the same with other LCD, typical LCD, but I think it's not bad at all.

But for me the unbearable problem of Sony is the HALO problem.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360101

The Halo is exist on S, V and X series. It's so bad, not only on letters, also on every colour different boundary there is a halo or blotchy colour edge, this create kind of ghosting or troubled boundary and uneven colour edges. It could be slightly reduced but not all, by lowering contrast, brightness, and sharpness, but then it would be too dark, flushed, and unwatchable.

Interestingly, doing some internet survey, I found that Sony panels are made by China/Taiwan and Samsung.

And now the Sony processor, called BRAVIA is now made in Taiwan.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/Industry/N4T4L3D7?page=1
    http://investintaiwan.nat.gov.tw/en/news/newsletters/0059.html
    http://investintaiwan.nat.gov.tw/en/news/newsletters/0067.html

Previously I was sceptical when people said Hannspree, Mirai, Orion were as good as Sony, remembering that their prices are about half of Sony.

But now, all of their panels including Sony are made in China/Taiwan/Samsung and the processors including Bravia are made in Taiwan as well.

So which one is the best and good value for money ?

_

8. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,778
    looked really dark to me when i looked at in in currys.

looked at an orion 32 inch lcd in currys today and it looked quite nice for 400 quid.
    nofreeview though, but could buy a box for it.

9. Mighty Chipster

Mighty Chipster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32